OBAMA ORDERS TROOPS OUT OF IRAQ BY END OF THE YEAR

21 Oct 2011 11:22 #1 by Wayne Harrison
Published October 21, 2011

| FoxNews.com

President Obama announced Friday that all U.S. forces will be withdrawn from Iraq by the end of 2011, saying the troops "will definitely be home for the holidays."

The announcement, in the White House briefing room, came after the president completed a secure video conference with Iraqi Prime Minister Nouri al-Maliki.

The discussion apparently finalized negotiations that have dragged on for months over what, if any, military presence the U.S. would maintain in Iraq beyond a Dec. 31 withdrawal deadline set in 2008. The president said the two are now in "full agreement" over how to move forward, and that no U.S. troops will remain.

"As promised, the rest of our troops in Iraq will come home by the end of the year," Obama said. "After nearly nine years, America's war in Iraq will be over."

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2011/10 ... op-levels/

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

21 Oct 2011 11:39 #2 by cydl
About time! Call me cynical, but why didn't he do this earlier in his term? Why now - close to elections? Hmmmm.....

21 Oct 2011 11:40 #3 by Wayne Harrison
I wonder if Guantanamo is next?

21 Oct 2011 11:42 #4 by Nobody that matters
Military decisions made for political gain... what could possibly go wrong with that?

"Whatever you are, be a good one." ~ Abraham Lincoln

21 Oct 2011 11:50 #5 by Wayne Harrison
We've seen what could go wrong with that. It's only been 3,095 days since "Mission Accomplished."

21 Oct 2011 12:05 #6 by Nobody that matters

Conservation Voice wrote: We've seen what could go wrong with that. It's only been 3,095 days since "Mission Accomplished."

Which only proves that both sides are simply interested in the power and control of winning elections rather than what's right.

"Whatever you are, be a good one." ~ Abraham Lincoln

21 Oct 2011 12:09 #7 by Wayne Harrison
I don't think Bush invaded Iraq to win an election.

21 Oct 2011 12:16 #8 by archer

cydl wrote: About time! Call me cynical, but why didn't he do this earlier in his term? Why now - close to elections? Hmmmm.....

Because.....he promised to bring the troops home from Iraq, responsibly.....and that takes time. You guys are never happy, if he had brought them home immediately you would probably have screamed about endangering the troops......so he takes his time, allows the military to do it safely, and then he gets bashed for doing it right before an election. If he had done it a year ago it would have been right before the mid term elections. He'll be damned no matter what he does.

21 Oct 2011 12:25 #9 by BearMtnHIB
Troops out of Iraq by the end of 2011.

Obama out of the white house by Jan, 2013.

Sounds like a good plan to me.

21 Oct 2011 12:36 #10 by Soulshiner
Another campaign promise kept, check!

When you plant ice you're going to harvest wind. - Robert Hunter

Time to create page: 0.135 seconds