OBAMA ORDERS TROOPS OUT OF IRAQ BY END OF THE YEAR

23 Oct 2011 11:43 #51 by badgersbrat
Yes, and it was out of that one paragraph that he quoted him, and turned that around... And actually, I saw no "slam" in anything he wrote. It was an honest opinion that many people, (especially vets) agree with.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

23 Oct 2011 12:15 #52 by Hoot Owl
I am glad the troops are leaving Afghanistan and IRAQ, I hold them in highest regard.
However there are a couple points that seem to get cloudy...
They did not volunteer, they applied for a job, they get paid.
When they come home, they are still on the payroll. What will their duties be? I have an idea, line them up on the border south of here and set up a one way turnstile. No one gets in, but it is free to get out of the US. Shouldnt the priority be defending our borders? Protecting our citizens? I could really give a flip about Libya or Central Africa. The US has problems, why are they being ignored? The "Occupy Whatever" folks do have an idea, just no direction. A lot of things are wrong in this country, and our leadership is apparently ignoring them.

When the going gets tough for your family, what will you do? Where will your priorities be? Probably not in a foreign country, probably trying to put you children to sleep with a full stomach, an education, a future.

Obama needs to go away, and take Hillary with him.

23 Oct 2011 12:37 #53 by Wayne Harrison

badgersbrat wrote: Otisptoadwater was showing his respect for THE TROOPS, and Conservation Voice has to turn that into something negative... I may not agree with all the decisions that the GOVERNMENT has made, but I respect the soldiers that carry out those decisions made for them. The military is not only trained for invasions in other countries, but also for invasions in THIS country. Will it take the USA getting invaded to see the respect the military deserves from you, Conservation Voice? Instead of turning someone else's show of respect into something political, respect these people for doing what MANY others are not brave enough to do, because someday they MIGHT have to protect YOU!

My question was not about the troops, or intended to show disrespect for them. I'm sorry if some see questioning a statement about the U.S. being safer as being disrespectful.

My question was in response to a statement from Otisptoadwater, that we are safer because we invaded Iraq ("ensured the continued security of the United States"." It's sad that a legitimate question can be turned into "You don't respect our troops!"

Are we more likely or less likely to have a terrorist attack on U.S. soil after invading Iraq?

I do respect our troops and have contributed to their support.

23 Oct 2011 13:23 #54 by ScienceChic

Hoot Owl wrote: I am glad the troops are leaving Afghanistan and IRAQ,

I thought only the troops in Iraq are being pulled out? Because the story I read a few days ago had a question asked of a military person as to whether some of these troops will be diverted to Afghanistan and they deferred to the Pentagon to find an answer.

"Now, more than ever, the illusions of division threaten our very existence. We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another as if we were one single tribe.” -King T'Challa, Black Panther

The truth is incontrovertible. Malice may attack it. ignorance may deride it, but in the end, there it is. ~Winston Churchill

23 Oct 2011 14:10 #55 by Hoot Owl

Science Chic wrote:

I thought only the troops in Iraq are being pulled out? Because the story I read a few days ago had a question asked of a military person as to whether some of these troops will be diverted to Afghanistan and they deferred to the Pentagon to find an answer.

I dont really know, you have a good point. Sorry if I mis-spoke. Just bring them home and take care of business here. Who are we fighting anyway? Havent all the leaders been killed? I pretty much think the countries can self implode without our help. Meanwhile back at the ranch...

23 Oct 2011 14:23 #56 by ScienceChic
I agree - I'd love for the troops in Afghanistan to come home too.

"Now, more than ever, the illusions of division threaten our very existence. We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another as if we were one single tribe.” -King T'Challa, Black Panther

The truth is incontrovertible. Malice may attack it. ignorance may deride it, but in the end, there it is. ~Winston Churchill

23 Oct 2011 15:43 #57 by Wayne Harrison

otisptoadwater wrote: IMHO those who never served will never completely understand, those who believe they owe no service to the nation and live free while others volunteer to defend us but suffer injuries and/or die to preserve their way of life need to be educated.

Those who think the only way to serve one's country is by joining the military service need to be educated, IMO. You don't have to have served to be patriotic, IMO.

23 Oct 2011 19:31 - 23 Oct 2011 19:50 #58 by navycpo7

Hoot Owl wrote:

Science Chic wrote:

I dont really know, you have a good point. Sorry if I mis-spoke. Just bring them home and take care of business here. Who are we fighting anyway? Havent all the leaders been killed? I pretty much think the countries can self implode without our help. Meanwhile back at the ranch...

Howdy hoot owl (thanks SC), nope troops in Afganistan are not coming home other than normal rotation. I do know this for fact. As for us leaving Iraq, what is also happening is a down sizing of the military. The Army they want to down size along with the Marine Corps. What does this mean overall, well unemployment may go up. There are various things going on that may or may not assist those troops that will be discharged. The new Sgt Maj of the Army is also bringing back some things that will also deal with downsizing. What everyone needs to understand that with downsizing right now, it comes with a price. Less troops means more deployments

23 Oct 2011 19:36 #59 by ScienceChic
Oh no, you called Hoot a HO - you're in for it now navy! :biggrin:

Are they definitely downsizing? I hadn't seen anything about that.

23 Oct 2011 19:39 #60 by navycpo7

Hoot Owl wrote: I am glad the troops are leaving Afghanistan and IRAQ, I hold them in highest regard.
However there are a couple points that seem to get cloudy...
They did not volunteer, they applied for a job, they get paid.
When they come home, they are still on the payroll. What will their duties be? I have an idea, line them up on the border south of here and set up a one way turnstile. No one gets in, but it is free to get out of the US. Shouldnt the priority be defending our borders? Protecting our citizens? I could really give a flip about Libya or Central Africa. The US has problems, why are they being ignored? The "Occupy Whatever" folks do have an idea, just no direction. A lot of things are wrong in this country, and our leadership is apparently ignoring them.

When the going gets tough for your family, what will you do? Where will your priorities be? Probably not in a foreign country, probably trying to put you children to sleep with a full stomach, an education, a future.

Obama needs to go away, and take Hillary with him.

Those in the military did volunteer. That is why it is called an all volunteer force. Not all that volunteer are accepted either. I also believe we could use the border for training our troops. Those that come home, have the training needed to do some good on the border. But the first statement Otis made is true, unless you have served you will never understand. Does that mean those that have never served are bad people or non patriotic, not at all. I also do agree with CV, you don't have to be in the military to serve your country. But I do not expect those that have never been in the military to understand what we went through or our though process etc. It is also something that me myself will not sit down and talk about my experience.

Time to create page: 0.276 seconds