OBAMA ORDERS TROOPS OUT OF IRAQ BY END OF THE YEAR

21 Oct 2011 17:53 #21 by Rick
Didn't Bush say they would be out by 2011 anyway? I think this would be great news if Iran wasn't waiting to step in...which I think they will eventually. Once they get a nuke, all bets are off and Iraq will be easy pickins.

It was always the women, and above all the young ones, who were the most bigoted adherents of the Party, the swallowers of slogans, the amateur spies and nosers−out of unorthodoxy

George Orwell

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

21 Oct 2011 18:08 #22 by Wayne Harrison
If you liked the war in Iraq, you'll love a Romney presidency. He's against the pullout.

Maybe he'll send them back, if he's elected. :wink:

21 Oct 2011 20:02 #23 by Residenttroll returns
Obama may be pulling out the troops in expectation his ratings will go up....but our dollars continue to flow over there...thanks to Obama.

21 Oct 2011 21:42 #24 by FredHayek
Has Al Quaida started celebrating on the streets of Baghdad? How about the Iranians?

Thomas Sowell: There are no solutions, just trade-offs.

21 Oct 2011 22:22 #25 by ScienceChic
http://www.truth-out.org/obama-all-us-t ... 1319223469
Obama: All US Troops Out of Iraq by End of Year
Friday 21 October 2011
by: Mike Ludwig

Between 4,500 and 5,000 private security contractors will remain in Iraq to protect two US consulates and the embassy in Baghdad, according to Denis McDonough, Obama's deputy national security adviser. The State Department will have 16,000 civilian employees on the ground in Iraq and is preparing for its largest overseas operation since the end of World War II, according to a Washington Post report .

The presence of thousands of contractors and State Department employees raised doubts in Washington as to whether the war effort is truly over. "Yet today's announcement fails to acknowledge that we will simply be replacing one US occupation with another.... And it is the presence of armed US contractors that is the problem," said Rep. Dennis Kucinich (D-Ohio).

When asked if troops leaving Iraq could be redeployed to the ongoing war in Afghanistan, McDonough diverted the question to the Pentagon

For neptune, who once said that Truthout is liberally biased - just wanted to point out this statement:

Obama's announcement means the US will comply with the deadline for a complete withdrawal of troops from Iraq set by security agreements made in 2008 under the Bush administration.

and that this article isn't all rah-rah about the pull-out. :)

"Now, more than ever, the illusions of division threaten our very existence. We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another as if we were one single tribe.” -King T'Challa, Black Panther

The truth is incontrovertible. Malice may attack it. ignorance may deride it, but in the end, there it is. ~Winston Churchill

21 Oct 2011 22:45 #26 by Blazer Bob

Science Chic wrote: For neptune, who once said that Truthout is liberally biased - just wanted to point out this statement:

Obama's announcement means the US will comply with the deadline for a complete withdrawal of troops from Iraq set by security agreements made in 2008 under the Bush administration.

and that this article isn't all rah-rah about the pull-out. :)

I just skimmed it, but what do you see that suggests that it is not a liberal rag? I missed it.

I just studied the statement above that you wanted to point out. Like Sgt. Schultz, I see nothing.

22 Oct 2011 05:17 #27 by LadyJazzer
Yep... Another campaign promise kept... Check (again)...

Lessee,

Bin Laden dead, check
Al Awlaki dead, check
Successive number of Al Qaeda #2's dead, check (Being the "#2 in Al Qaeda" is a life-ending job, it would seem)
Gaddafi dead, check
Out of Unnecessary War #1, Iraq....check

Yep, and not one photo-op on a carrier with a "Mission Accomplished" flag in the background... Sounds good to me.

22 Oct 2011 07:07 #28 by navycpo7

LadyJazzer wrote: Yep... Another campaign promise kept... Check (again)...

Lessee,

Bin Laden dead, check
Al Awlaki dead, check
Successive number of Al Qaeda #2's dead, check (Being the "#2 in Al Qaeda" is a life-ending job, it would seem)
Gaddafi dead, check

Yep, and not one photo-op on a carrier with a "Mission Accomplished" flag in the background... Sounds good to me.

It really has nothing to do with the President pulling us out, the agreement was for us to be out by end of 2011 per the contract between Iraq and the US. They actually wanted some troops to stay but one of the main sticking points was the lack of the Iraq government to allow the US FORCES AGREEMENT dealing with the troops. Basically it is an agreement that if there is a military member accused of a crime, then they will be turned over to US FORCES for investigation, trial etc. They would not approve it. So we will not be having advisors there either because of this. As for the rest, Bin Laden was a combination of things including continuance of Bush's policies on this issue mixed in with Obama's. But yes I am pretty damn happy we are getting the hell out of there. We lost alot of great men and women there and they should never be forgotten.

22 Oct 2011 07:31 #29 by lionshead2010
Regardless of who the president is, we should all be celebrating the troops coming home after a job well done. Next we need a solid plan to leave Afghanistan while avoiding the temptation to immerse ourselves on the troubled Continent of Africa.

This is a good day. :soldiers:

22 Oct 2011 07:41 #30 by LadyJazzer

navycpo7 wrote:

LadyJazzer wrote: Yep... Another campaign promise kept... Check (again)...

Lessee,

Bin Laden dead, check
Al Awlaki dead, check
Gaddafi dead, check

We lost a lot of great men and women there and they should never be forgotten.

Yes, and they should never have been killed in the first place. We should remember that too.

Time to create page: 0.150 seconds