Gee... Right here at home...

11 Dec 2011 16:39 #31 by ScienceChic

Arlen wrote: The menorah at Lake House should be allowed. Let the atheist naysayers go to hell.

Atheists don't believe in hell, they'll just go into nothingness.

I'm with cydl. I'm agnostic, but I don't have any problems with any type of religious displays. It's not the displays that are offensive, but people's negative attitudes and selfish actions (ironically, in conflict with their beliefs) that I have a problem with, and those have nothing to do with the season, or the displays.

"Now, more than ever, the illusions of division threaten our very existence. We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another as if we were one single tribe.” -King T'Challa, Black Panther

The truth is incontrovertible. Malice may attack it. ignorance may deride it, but in the end, there it is. ~Winston Churchill

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

11 Dec 2011 16:48 #32 by LadyJazzer
Yes, which "atheist naysayers" is he referring to? The Evergreen Parks & Recreation District? Or the ones in the City of Denver?

11 Dec 2011 17:21 #33 by Reverend Revelant

LadyJazzer wrote: Yes, which "atheist naysayers" is he referring to? The Evergreen Parks & Recreation District? Or the ones in the City of Denver?

I don't even think he knows what he/she is talking about nor do I think he/she even read the article or the thread. It's the easy way out... just blame any Christmas display dust-up on the us atheists.

Waiting for Armageddon since 33 AD

11 Dec 2011 17:47 #34 by Arlen
Replied by Arlen on topic Gee... Right here at home...

Science Chic wrote:

Arlen wrote: The menorah at Lake House should be allowed. Let the atheist naysayers go to hell.

Naw. They'll go to hell. We do not create reality by wishing it were so or not.
I am fully aware of what an atheist might be, as well as agnostic. It is only a play for the badge of "intellectual".

11 Dec 2011 18:03 #35 by LadyJazzer
Wow... If there were a hell, I'd be worried...But since there isn't, ............

On the other hand, if there is a God, and if he sees into the hearts of men, there are a bunch of clowns on here who should be seriously worried, because all he's going to find is the putrid cesspool of hatred, vitriol, hypocrisy, and loathing that lives there...

Me?... I'm going to DisneyWorld....

11 Dec 2011 18:06 #36 by Reverend Revelant

LadyJazzer wrote: Wow... If there were a hell, I'd be worried...But since there isn't, ............
On the other hand, if there is a God, and if he sees into the hearts of men, there are a bunch of clowns on here who should be seriously worried, because all he's going to find is the putrid cesspool of hatred, vitriol, hypocrisy, and loathing that lives there...

(Or the hearts of woman) Congratulations on attaining your Fourth Step, and sharing it with us on 285 Bound... "Made a searching and fearless moral inventory of ourselves" Glad you're here... Lady Jazzer.

Waiting for Armageddon since 33 AD

11 Dec 2011 18:23 #37 by Blazer Bob

LadyJazzer wrote: Wow... If there were a hell, I'd be worried...But since there isn't, ............

On the other hand, if there is a God,

Follow football? :Whistle

11 Dec 2011 19:00 #38 by Photo-fish
They had a menorah at the Lake house in previous years. I was there a few times for the lighting. But according to the article the lake house staff did not have the right authority to allow it. They ought to allow it based on that they have been alowed in previous years. Rabbi Brackman is a very charismatic and intelligent person IMO. I hope he sticks to his guns and follows through with this

Did you know that Temble Beth Evergreen is one of only two synagogues in Jefferson County?

´¯`•.. ><((((º>`•´¯`•...¸><((((º> ´¯`•.. ><((((º>`´¯`•...¸><((((º>´¯`•.. ><((((º>`•´¯`•...¸><((((º> ´¯`•.. ><((((º>`•.´¯`•...¸><((((º>

11 Dec 2011 20:43 #39 by ScienceChic

Arlen wrote:

Science Chic wrote:

Naw. They'll go to hell. We do not create reality by wishing it were so or not.
I am fully aware of what an atheist might be, as well as agnostic. It is only a play for the badge of "intellectual".

It could just as easily be argued that the idea of hell is nothing more than a "wish".

Lady Jazzer wrote: Me?... I'm going to DisneyWorld....

Now that right there truly is hell! tongue:

"Now, more than ever, the illusions of division threaten our very existence. We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another as if we were one single tribe.” -King T'Challa, Black Panther

The truth is incontrovertible. Malice may attack it. ignorance may deride it, but in the end, there it is. ~Winston Churchill

12 Dec 2011 07:08 #40 by Nobody that matters
I've seen alot of arguments (on other forums) that a lighted tree is actually a Saturnalia or Druid tradition pre-dating Christiainity. Some fundamental Christians quote verses that forbid decorated trees at Christmas as being false idols.

I've even seen trees decorated with lights and small ornaments shaped like menorahs and dredels. It is after all a festival of lights.

The tree is not a Christain symbol, and has been pretty much accepted as a 'holiday' tradition - representing all December holidays.

So, there are no religious symbols at the lakehouse. If they allow the menorah, they're opening themselves up to lawsuits by some nutty Wisconsin group of athiests that'll want to post signs about how there is no God. They'll wind up having to allow nativity scenes, pentagrams and festivus poles.

It's either all or nothing here. Denver and EPR chose nothing.

"Whatever you are, be a good one." ~ Abraham Lincoln

Time to create page: 0.143 seconds