Gee... Right here at home...

15 Dec 2011 13:28 #71 by 2wlady
Replied by 2wlady on topic Gee... Right here at home...
What I see most people forgetting is that Christmas, albeit cobbled together from various "heathen" religions besides Christianity, is today a huge moneymaker for our economy.

If Christmas goes away, how will that money be made?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

15 Dec 2011 13:32 #72 by PrintSmith

LadyJazzer wrote: Yes, I'm sure you are confused... But I'll get over it.

So in this instance aethism is a religion and as such should be allowed to include a religious display of its own alongside all the other religious displays during this season? I could have sworn you said that atheism wasn't a religion LJ, in fact, I'm 100% certain you said it wasn't a religion.

15 Dec 2011 13:33 #73 by AspenValley

PrintSmith wrote:

LadyJazzer wrote: Yes, I'm sure you are confused... But I'll get over it.

So in this instance aethism is a religion and as such should be allowed to include a religious display of its own alongside all the other religious displays during this season? I could have sworn you said that atheism wasn't a religion LJ, in fact, I'm 100% certain you said it wasn't a religion.

Athiesm doesn't have to be a religion in order for athiests to have a right to religious expression. And expression of the belief that there is no God or Gods certainly comes under that category.

15 Dec 2011 13:34 #74 by AspenValley

2wlady wrote: What I see most people forgetting is that Christmas, albeit cobbled together from various "heathen" religions besides Christianity, is today a huge moneymaker for our economy.

If Christmas goes away, how will that money be made?

Good point! But since the REAL state religion these days seems to be the worship of money, this shouldn't become a real threat I don't think.

15 Dec 2011 14:19 #75 by LadyJazzer

The Real War on Christmas... by Fox News
Jim Wallis

Christian leader for social change

The Fox News Christmas heralds the steady promotion of consumerism, the defense of wealth and power, the adulation of money and markets, and the regular belittling or attacking of efforts to overcome poverty.

The real Christmas offers the joyful promise of peace and the hope of reconciliation with God and between humankind.

The Fox News Christmas proffers the constant drumbeat of war, the reliance on military solutions to every conflict, the demonizing of our enemies, and the gospel of American dominance.

The real Christmas lifts up the Virgin Mary’s song of praise for her baby boy: “He has brought the mighty down from their thrones, and lifted the lowly, he has filled the hungry with good things, and sent the rich empty away.”

The Fox News Christmas would label Mary’s Magnificat as “class warfare.”

So if there is a war on Christmas it's the one being waged by Fox News.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/jim-walli ... 51709.html

Not to worry... By trotting out the tiresome "War on Christmas" meme every year, the "forces of (neo-)capitalism" will defend to the death your right to keep the engine-of-consumerism going, while "belittling or attacking of efforts to overcome poverty"...

And yes, atheists deserve a "place at the table" if public property is going to be opened up for expressions of all competing ideas.

Time to create page: 0.155 seconds