Gee... Right here at home...

13 Dec 2011 10:26 #51 by ScienceChic
9 news finally got in on the action, posting this on their Facebook page : (as of now, they are up to 71 comments)

File Attachment:

Edit to add:
Whups, and FOX too

File Attachment:

and finally, The Denver Channel
https://www.facebook.com/DenverNews
File Attachment:

"Now, more than ever, the illusions of division threaten our very existence. We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another as if we were one single tribe.” -King T'Challa, Black Panther

The truth is incontrovertible. Malice may attack it. ignorance may deride it, but in the end, there it is. ~Winston Churchill

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

13 Dec 2011 21:50 #52 by LadyJazzer

Menorah can be displayed at Lake House

A mounting controversy was defused Tuesday night when a local Jewish group was given permission to display a decorative 8-foot-tall menorah on the grounds of the Evergreen Lake House.

The city of Denver now has waived any restrictions on the Lake House property for this holiday season and invited all religions to take part, it was announced at the park district board meeting Tuesday evening.

From the Canyon Courier a few minutes ago..... I guess someone finally got the message....

14 Dec 2011 06:23 #53 by Nobody that matters

LadyJazzer wrote: From the Canyon Courier a few minutes ago..... I guess someone finally got the message....

Thank God someone finally wised up.

:biggrin:

"Whatever you are, be a good one." ~ Abraham Lincoln

14 Dec 2011 07:22 #54 by Reverend Revelant

Nobody that matters wrote:

LadyJazzer wrote: From the Canyon Courier a few minutes ago..... I guess someone finally got the message....

According to a report on the radio this morning, the Denver Parks department said this will not happen next year. They intend to make sure they are NO religious displays. It's not a win, it's a bone.

Waiting for Armageddon since 33 AD

14 Dec 2011 08:13 #55 by Photo-fish
I am glad this got settled for this year. Chanukah starts on the 21st.

For all the folks that were voicing their opinion on this topic, even if you are not Jewish, I hope that you can back up your convictions and maybe make it to one of the lighting ceremonies next week. Bring your skates and afterwards take a spin around the rink or a quick stroll through downtown Evergreen.

One thing that I don't believe was brought up during this mess, (Maybe I am playing devil's advocate on this comment): There is a synagogue in Evergreen for the Temple Beth Evergreen Congregation. This is one of only 2 in Jefferson County!! There appears to be ample room on that property to set up a menorah and enough parking for those who would attend. I know that Lake house is a beautiful setting to hold a ceremony. But instead of going through all this to to set up a display on public property, why not display it at the synagogue where more of the congregation is bound to see it. There are also other groups that use the synagogue building too. The synagogue is off the roadway a bit, so maybe security and visibility to the general public will be an issue on this idea.

´¯`•.. ><((((º>`•´¯`•...¸><((((º> ´¯`•.. ><((((º>`´¯`•...¸><((((º>´¯`•.. ><((((º>`•´¯`•...¸><((((º> ´¯`•.. ><((((º>`•.´¯`•...¸><((((º>

14 Dec 2011 08:22 #56 by Nobody that matters

The Liberals GOP Twin wrote:

Nobody that matters wrote:

According to a report on the radio this morning, the Denver Parks department said this will not happen next year. They intend to make sure they are NO religious displays. It's not a win, it's a bone.

What we have here is known as a 'quotefail'. :biggrin:

14 Dec 2011 08:33 #57 by Nobody that matters
From reading the news articles, I'm going to bet that the holiday walk with Santa showing up on a Firetruck, lighting the tree and then walking the path down to downtown Evergreen is now a thing of the past.

14 Dec 2011 08:40 #58 by Photo-fish

Nobody that matters wrote: From reading the news articles, I'm going to bet that the holiday walk with Santa showing up on a Firetruck, lighting the tree and then walking the path down to downtown Evergreen is now a thing of the past.

Maybe if he looks like this and lights the tree with a menorah while singing Neil Diamonds "Cherry Cherry Chrisstmas".

´¯`•.. ><((((º>`•´¯`•...¸><((((º> ´¯`•.. ><((((º>`´¯`•...¸><((((º>´¯`•.. ><((((º>`•´¯`•...¸><((((º> ´¯`•.. ><((((º>`•.´¯`•...¸><((((º>

14 Dec 2011 08:41 #59 by LadyJazzer

Nobody that matters wrote: From reading the news articles, I'm going to bet that the holiday walk with Santa showing up on a Firetruck, lighting the tree and then walking the path down to downtown Evergreen is now a thing of the past.

I doubt it... The "Santa" thing is for the kids; "Santa" is considered secular, not religious. I think that's another "outrage" that won't materialize. However, I have to agree with Photo-Fish that much of the brouhaha could have been avoided if the Temple Beth Evergreen folks had elected to just do it on their own property and not picked a fight.

And I plan to be in town next week, and would very much like to attend one of the lighting ceremonies, and take a stroll through downtown Evergreen . What time does the ceremony start?

14 Dec 2011 08:53 #60 by Nobody that matters

LadyJazzer wrote:

I doubt it... The "Santa" thing is for the kids; "Santa" is considered secular, not religious. I think that's another "outrage" that won't materialize. However, I have to agree with Photo-Fish that much of the brouhaha could have been avoided if the Temple Beth Evergreen folks had elected to just do it on their own property and not picked a fight.

And I plan to be in town next week, and would very much like to attend one of the lighting ceremonies, and take a stroll through downtown Evergreen . What time does the ceremony start?

They got the manorah this year because they argued that the lighted tree is a religious symbol.

My prediction: Next year there will be no lights on the tree and no manorah. If Santa does get to show up at the lakehouse, he'll just hand out the glowsticks and be on his way.

Or, as another possibility... Since this hit the news, is that there will be a manorah, lights on the tree, a nativity scene, and a big ol sign letting everyone know their belief in God is just fantasy - curteousy of the national athiest zealots.

Time to create page: 0.173 seconds