Colorado snowpack is significantly below average so far

13 Jan 2012 15:56 #41 by ScienceChic

The Liberals GOP Twin wrote:

Science Chic wrote: Nope, I have always asked for credible scientific data showing that global warming isn't happening to convince me otherwise.
http://www.pinecam.com/phpBB2/viewtopic ... sc&start=0

Call it anthropogenic global warming, or just global warming, doesn't matter: right now they're both the same thing whether you accept it or not.

Oh come on Science Chic... you're better than that... it does matter... now your going to ignore the nuance because it doesn't fit your notions. They are not the same and you know it. AGW indicates " human-induced", where as global warming is a much broader term that could be as simple as natural geophysical cycles. Like I said, you're moving the target. The targets been moved at least three times. First it was AGW, then global warming and now climate change. As the theories break down, scientist attempt to lay a wider and wider net in hopes of catching some little bit of the truth.

Dishonest.

Ahh, got it, you've got nuthin'. :thumbsup: You don't even understand the simple differences between the 3 terms, nor that the science is the same no matter what label gets put on it. Frankly, I expected a better argument out of you, this was kind of pathetic. Bring some credible scientific evidence and I'll happily look it over and debate you on it; otherwise, you're just deflecting like you accuse others of doing all the time. :indifferent: :file:

"Now, more than ever, the illusions of division threaten our very existence. We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another as if we were one single tribe.” -King T'Challa, Black Panther

The truth is incontrovertible. Malice may attack it. ignorance may deride it, but in the end, there it is. ~Winston Churchill

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

13 Jan 2012 16:11 #42 by Reverend Revelant

Science Chic wrote:

The Liberals GOP Twin wrote:

Science Chic wrote: Nope, I have always asked for credible scientific data showing that global warming isn't happening to convince me otherwise.
http://www.pinecam.com/phpBB2/viewtopic ... sc&start=0

Call it anthropogenic global warming, or just global warming, doesn't matter: right now they're both the same thing whether you accept it or not.

Oh come on Science Chic... you're better than that... it does matter... now your going to ignore the nuance because it doesn't fit your notions. They are not the same and you know it. AGW indicates " human-induced", where as global warming is a much broader term that could be as simple as natural geophysical cycles. Like I said, you're moving the target. The targets been moved at least three times. First it was AGW, then global warming and now climate change. As the theories break down, scientist attempt to lay a wider and wider net in hopes of catching some little bit of the truth.

Dishonest.

Ahh, got it, you've got nuthin'. :thumbsup: You don't even understand the simple differences between the 3 terms, nor that the science is the same no matter what label gets put on it. Frankly, I expected a better argument out of you, this was kind of pathetic. Bring some credible scientific evidence and I'll happily look it over and debate you on it; otherwise, you're just deflecting like you accuse others of doing all the time. :indifferent: :file:

Well... there is a difference...

The global warming controversy includes a variety of disputes about the nature, causes, and consequences of global warming. The debates are more in the popular media than in the scientific literature,[1][2] The disputed issues involve the causes of increased global average air temperature, especially since the mid-20th century, whether such a warming trend is unprecedented or within normal climatic variations, whether humankind has contributed significantly to it, and whether the increase is wholly or partially an artifact of poor measurements. Additional disputes concern estimates of climate sensitivity, predictions of additional warming, and what the consequences of global warming will be.
In the scientific literature, there is a strong consensus that global surface temperatures have increased in recent decades and that the trend is caused mainly by human-induced emissions of greenhouse gases.[3][4][5] No scientific body of national or international standing disagrees with this view,[6] though a few organisations hold non-committal positions.[7]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Global_warming_controversy

AGW is not the same issue as global warming... there are nuances... which you seem to ignore.

Waiting for Armageddon since 33 AD

13 Jan 2012 17:13 #43 by Photo-fish
Ohhh look out SC, he pulled the wiki card.

Hey you two, this thread is about current snowpack conditions in Colorado, how it affects us locally and what we should/could do to prepare for potentially a much, much drier spring and summer. If you want to argue global climates or warming go start your own thread. :blahblah:

GO PACK!

´¯`•.. ><((((º>`•´¯`•...¸><((((º> ´¯`•.. ><((((º>`´¯`•...¸><((((º>´¯`•.. ><((((º>`•´¯`•...¸><((((º> ´¯`•.. ><((((º>`•.´¯`•...¸><((((º>

13 Jan 2012 17:19 #44 by Reverend Revelant

Photo-fish wrote: Ohhh look out SC, he pulled the wiki card.

Hey you two, this thread is about current snowpack conditions in Colorado, how it affects us locally and what we should/could do to prepare for potentially a much, much drier spring and summer. If you want to argue global climates or warming go start your own thread. :blahblah:

GO PACK!

Sorry... I stop it. Maybe SC and I should take this into the Ring... it could get nasty. :pop

Waiting for Armageddon since 33 AD

13 Jan 2012 17:25 #45 by ScienceChic

The Liberals GOP Twin wrote: Well... there is a difference...

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Global_warming_controversy

AGW is not the same issue as global warming... there are nuances... which you seem to ignore.

Wikipedia???? You call that credible scientific evidence? Oh my...
Ignored what? I answered the naunces right here:

Science Chic wrote: Call it anthropogenic global warming, or just global warming, doesn't matter: right now they're both the same thing whether you accept it or not.

Global warming can mean both natural and human-influenced warming of the atmosphere and ocean. Anthropogenic global warming pertains to human-influenced specifically. Climate change as a term was adopted because the public held misperceptions that only the atmosphere and ocean would warm due to global warming and that is not the case: a whole host of other effects are documented (ie acidification of oceans, melting polar caps, etc) and this term more accurately comprehenisvely covers the effects due to global warming; as the warming that is currently being recorded has been attributed to human-kind, even by the most die-hard of skeptics, the terms global warming, anthropogenic global warming, and climate change all apply to the current situation. If the warming were only due to natural causes (which are also a factor, just not as significant of one compared to our influence), then AGW would not apply and climate change can indicate global cooling or anything for that matter. Hence, the targets haven't shifted, just a more accurate and precise use of terms to describe what is happening, and thus my sentence above that says "right now they're both the same thing whether you accept it or not".

So you gonna keep stalling or what? :basketball: :Eating: :fishing: :readp: :coffee-News: Right now, you're digging yourself a deeper losing hole.

PF, are you pulling the :Off Topic card on me?! :scared: Snowpack levels have dropped dramatically and AGW is the likely culprit. Ski now while you still can rofllol :lol: (there, does that get me back on-topic?) :biggrin:

Have fun kids, I'm outta here to go visit a dear friend before she heads back home to MI.

"Now, more than ever, the illusions of division threaten our very existence. We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another as if we were one single tribe.” -King T'Challa, Black Panther

The truth is incontrovertible. Malice may attack it. ignorance may deride it, but in the end, there it is. ~Winston Churchill

13 Jan 2012 18:15 #46 by LadyJazzer
Heading to Michigan?... (She has my sympathies...)

13 Jan 2012 18:32 #47 by Photo-fish
Da U.P. is a completely different state, I swear.

´¯`•.. ><((((º>`•´¯`•...¸><((((º> ´¯`•.. ><((((º>`´¯`•...¸><((((º>´¯`•.. ><((((º>`•´¯`•...¸><((((º> ´¯`•.. ><((((º>`•.´¯`•...¸><((((º>

13 Jan 2012 18:33 #48 by Photo-fish

14 Jan 2012 12:33 #49 by znovkovic
yes that is all we need now? allowing humans in an attempt to control weather in the belief that we are smarter than nature... :rofl

14 Jan 2012 16:55 #50 by FredHayek
A few years ago, Moscow would seed the clouds before they reached the city to save on snowplowing. Maybe the snow areas need to do the same, seed them before they reach Denver. Mayor Hancock might even go in halfsies.

In Crested Butte, mountain bikers are still riding snow absent trails.

Thomas Sowell: There are no solutions, just trade-offs.

Time to create page: 0.153 seconds