What Is Obama Going To Do About Record High Gas Prices?

21 Feb 2012 08:05 #11 by OmniScience

archer wrote: I imagine he will do what any president would do...nothing. I thought most conservatives claim the president has no control over the price of gas...at least that's what they said the summer of 2008.

And I remember liberals constantly blaming Bush and his 'Big Oil' buddies for manipulating the markets for personal gain.
Guess that wasn't the case, was it? The President doesn't control market forces, but can implement policies that can potentially effect supply and demand.

As for President Obama, he'll do what he usually does; provide no leadership, no plan, no solution. Just like this......

http://abcnews.go.com/Politics/wireStory/obama-peddles-modest-american-dream-15755251

"Folks don't have unrealistic ambitions. They do believe that if they work hard they should be able to achieve that small measure of an American Dream."

"Small measure of an American dream". That's what we get for all of the Hope and Change rhetoric? "Small measure" doesn't sound like much hope.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

21 Feb 2012 08:21 #12 by outdoor338
House Speaker Pelosi criticizes rising gas prices and announces committee hearings and other actions meant to show voters that Democrats aren't just standing there but doing SOMETHING about high gas prices.

[youtube:35xbrocy]
[/youtube:35xbrocy]

21 Feb 2012 08:24 #13 by outdoor338
[youtube:1u0laftb]
[/youtube:1u0laftb]

21 Feb 2012 08:26 #14 by outdoor338
[youtube:25hij3sc]
[/youtube:25hij3sc]

21 Feb 2012 08:44 #15 by Nobody that matters
He could come to my house and help me get my Geo Metro running.

"Whatever you are, be a good one." ~ Abraham Lincoln

21 Feb 2012 09:21 #16 by BearMtnHIB

That is why the world did not melt at $4 gas and it wont at $10 or $20 or $30 (just wait and see), just a few more people will be cut out of car fun and eventually we will allocate fuel to tractors producing food.

What a bunch of nincompoop's. The above quote demonstrates how little some of us know about how the economy works. It WAS in fact, the short spike in oil prices in 2008 - up to $140/barrel- that started the recession a few months before Bush's term was up.

Yes- we had bubbles all over the place- banking, housing, debt piling up- but it was the oil prices i.e. GAS prices that was the straw that broke the camels back and set off the recession. The economy was running thin and EVERYTHING depends upon energy prices.

It's why corn and wheat costs more- it's why oranges and apples cost more- it's why shoes and shirts cost more. A dim whitted view of reality like Obama's (and some posters here) will assure more hard times because they do not understand market economics. The cost of everything going up all at once is what triggered the recession.

What can Obama do? His policies are driving oil prices up. His Oil Hater mentality is damaging our economy for sure.

The President doesn't control market forces, but can implement policies that can potentially effect supply and demand.

As for President Obama, he'll do what he usually does; provide no leadership, no plan, no solution.

Oh- and I found one poster (above quote) who appears to have it exactly right- I'm astonished!

$150/barrel oil and 5 dollar a gallon gas would shut this country down big time- we saw it in 2008. 10 dollar a gallon gas and within 1 year another 50 million Americans would be out of work- and that's a fact.

Obama could do alot more in terms of policy to mitigate the current situation- including his moronic foreign policies. But like the poster who got it right correctly concludes.....

He won't.

Obama loves high oil prices- high prices are compatible with his anti-oil ideology.

21 Feb 2012 09:34 #17 by Martin Ent Inc
It makes you wonder if he is against oil research and development becuase Big Oil is in his ear. They continue to benefit while the public suffers.

21 Feb 2012 09:36 #18 by outdoor338
[youtube:3c4fg15n]
[/youtube:3c4fg15n]

21 Feb 2012 09:37 #19 by outdoor338
[youtube:3hwqq8qo]
[/youtube:3hwqq8qo]

21 Feb 2012 09:49 #20 by LadyJazzer
Interesting dialogue from 2008:

'Progressive-A' wrote: What's another 50 cents a gallon when compared to the Bushie's and Republicans 400% rise in oil prices.

'Conservative-B' wrote: There is an article today on about how the price of gas is hurting Canadians. Since you are such an expert on Bush controlling the price of gas, I have a couple of questions:
1. I am mildly interested in how Bush ran up the price of our gas.
2. I am intensely interested in how he did it in Canada.

'Conservative-C' wrote: Please explain how the President and Vice President can govern oil prices all around the world? I'm confused

'Progressive-A' wrote: When we invaded Iraq, I fully expect OPEC to retaliate by raising their prices. The oil business is a "good ole boy" system and both Bush and Cheney are part of the "good ole boy" system. Bush had very close ties with Saudis long before he was President.

[sarcasm]Isn't the President of the United States the most powerful person on earth? [/sarcasm]

Isn't it fascinating how the Righties defended the idea that the President has no control over the prices of oil/gas--in 2008....But today, it's Obama's fault...

You can't make this stuff up... rofllol :lol:

Time to create page: 0.165 seconds