What Is Obama Going To Do About Record High Gas Prices?

21 Feb 2012 17:31 - 21 Feb 2012 17:33 #41 by LadyJazzer
Good...Then we agree that they don't need $4Billion/year of my tax dollars in tax-breaks to do what they would do anyway to make their obscene profits.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

21 Feb 2012 17:33 - 22 Feb 2012 06:24 #42 by LOL
Not talking to you anymore VL, troublemaker.

If you want to be, press one. If you want not to be, press 2

Republicans are red, democrats are blue, neither of them, gives a flip about you.

21 Feb 2012 17:44 #43 by LOL

LadyJazzer wrote: Good...Then we agree that they don't need $4Billion/year of my tax dollars in tax-breaks to do what they would do anyway to make their obscene profits.

I do agree, just lower the corp income tax rate to competitive with other countries, maybe 22% and nix deductions. Same with individual rates, though I would use 5, 15, 25 or so. Get rid of deductions, lower rates, and grow the economy.

Republicans are red, democrats are blue, neither of them, gives a flip about you.

22 Feb 2012 07:39 #44 by FredHayek

Wicked wrote:

photo-fish wrote: What gas shortage???

America’s top export in 2011 was . . . fuel?
http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/ezra-klein/post/americas-top-export-in-2011-was--fuel/2011/12/31/gIQAzlvgSP_blog.html

It’s also worth noting that U.S. oil consumption has declined since 2006, which means that much of the refining capacity the country added in the past decade is now geared toward exports.

So rather than reduce prices in favor of driving Americans, big US petroleum companies are making a profit by exporting it. They could lower the cost of gas and create a price war against their competitors but that would be bad for business.

:yeahthat: Duh. The oil companies are making, and will continue to make record profits. Until we start pressuring them by not using their product cuz we've switched over to renewables, they have a monopoly on their product and we're gonna get screwed. Increasing production won't lower our prices because the oil that's available is harder to access and will only decrease in availability and increase in price. Change your lifestyle, move closer to work and bike/walk, carpool, use public transportation, whatever, but quit blaming the government - they're already forking over billions to keep this product artificially lower priced anyway - would you rather pay more in taxes that goes to fossil fuel producers, or pay more in gas?

Do you have the numbers on those record profits? If they are so obscene, why don't you just buy petrol stocks, the dividends will fill your gas tanks. :lol:

Last time I looked profits were under 10%, the company I am working for (light manufacturing) has much higher profit margins. (And we pay the full precentage of our corporate tax, looks like we need to hire the GE tax attorneys to lower that.)

Thomas Sowell: There are no solutions, just trade-offs.

22 Feb 2012 07:52 #45 by Nobody that matters
I still need help with my Geo. Obama was a no-show last night when I tried to set the timing. I think the timing belt might be off by a tooth.

Obama would know, but he's not answering my phone calls or emails.

"Whatever you are, be a good one." ~ Abraham Lincoln

22 Feb 2012 14:20 - 22 Feb 2012 14:25 #46 by LOL

FredHayek wrote: Do you have the numbers on those record profits? If they are so obscene, why don't you just buy petrol stocks, the dividends will fill your gas tanks. :lol:

Last time I looked profits were under 10%, the company I am working for (light manufacturing) has much higher profit margins. (And we pay the full precentage of our corporate tax, looks like we need to hire the GE tax attorneys to lower that.)

Its funny how Microsoft, Google, and Apple have profit margins around 25-30% and no one complains.

And lots of corp profits and dividends go to pension plans for people's retirement.

I could say I make "record salary" every year after I get a 3% raise. LOL Every year! It an outrage!

22 Feb 2012 14:22 #47 by LOL

Nobody that matters wrote: I still need help with my Geo. Obama was a no-show last night when I tried to set the timing. I think the timing belt might be off by a tooth.

Try pumping more air into the front tires than the rear. The car will lean back, thus slowing down the gas from the tank to the engine, saving fuel.

23 Feb 2012 08:13 #49 by Nobody that matters

Joe wrote:

Nobody that matters wrote: I still need help with my Geo. Obama was a no-show last night when I tried to set the timing. I think the timing belt might be off by a tooth.

Try pumping more air into the front tires than the rear. The car will lean back, thus slowing down the gas from the tank to the engine, saving fuel.

No no no... big wheels in the back, little wheels in the front. That way I'm always going downhill.

"Whatever you are, be a good one." ~ Abraham Lincoln

23 Feb 2012 08:34 #50 by LOL
That might work too. I'm going to try pumping helium in my tires to save weight, and help me float over the road, reducing friction.

Time to create page: 0.170 seconds