What Is Obama Going To Do About Record High Gas Prices?

20 Feb 2012 22:04 #1 by FredHayek
Create a gas tax holiday for the working poor?
Open up the strategic reserves?
Permit offshore drilling?
Reverse his Keystone veto?

Nothing? Or will he blame it on Bush?

Thomas Sowell: There are no solutions, just trade-offs.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

20 Feb 2012 22:12 #2 by archer
I imagine he will do what any president would do...nothing. I thought most conservatives claim the president has no control over the price of gas...at least that's what they said the summer of 2008.

20 Feb 2012 22:15 #3 by The Boss
Perhaps if asked he will explain a supply and demand market and that he does not personally set the prices. Perhaps he will explain that this recent trend of talking about the president like he runs the country is dangerous and that we would be better off if we talk about how we run the country, we make the economy do what it does with our collective decisions and that the govt is just there to facilitate this and take care of what is commonly demanded but not provided in the free market.

I know gas taxes are not insignificant, but they are not going lower, they will be going higher, both in $ and %.

Plus gas is cheap, even at $10 a gallon.

I can put 3000 lbs in my pickup and move it over 10 miles for $4 right now. How much would you expect to be paid to do that with no car/truck? How about I give you a horse and a cart to use for a day, how much would you want then (remember you have to feed that horse)?

When the price of gas approaches the cost it would be to use animal or human power to do the same job, then we have something real to discuss. That is why the world did not melt at $4 gas and it wont at $10 or $20 or $30 (just wait and see), just a few more people will be cut out of car fun and eventually we will allocate fuel to tractors producing food.

If you could drink gas and convert the BTUs, 1 gallon would fuel a large working male for over 10 days or allow him to move himself over 900 miles. How much to you spend on food in 10 days, how much gas to you buy to move yourself 900 miles? Just some energy perspective. Humans are pretty efficient on energy vs. cars (not time). Also remember, the cost of labor is currently going down and the cost of gas is going up. Now also keep in mind that the 10 days (some say 12-16) is the number of days of human food for one person we need to give up in order to make one gallon of corn based ethanol vs. using another gallon of gas we are going to use anyway now or later. IOW, that corn used to make one gallon of fuel could have fed someone for about two weeks.

Gas is way cheap right now. It was just way cheaper before. The long term inflation adjusted gas price is around $2.45. In 1958 we were paying $2.32 adjusted, way more than most would guess.

20 Feb 2012 22:52 #4 by otisptoadwater

FredHayek wrote: Create a gas tax holiday for the working poor?
Open up the strategic reserves?
Permit offshore drilling?
Reverse his Keystone veto?

Nothing? Or will he blame it on Bush?

Cut taxes, tax holiday?! OUT OF THE QUESTION - what party is Barry affiliated with?!

If Barry does the same thing he did last year there might be a tiny spill from the strategic reserves, just enough to get the press to help him make it look like he really is concerned about the issue. It won't do JACK SH*T and gas prices will rise and fall based on the price the market will bear.

Offshore drilling? NO WAY - not in my back yard! If I can see the drilling rig on the horizon from my beach front property then who cares what gas costs? Screw anyone who can't pay $10.00 a gallon for gas, obviously they don't deserve to enjoy the privilege of driving on the highways and byways of this great nation. It's all about my property value and what is best for the earth and the environment. Besides, why did I make all of those campaign donations Barry?!

Allow the pipeline to proceed? What will the Sierra club, Green Peace, and the Earth Liberation Front say about that? How would that reflect on Barry's administration and impact his re-election campaign? Can't let the enviros in on that dirty secret, the real world still runs on oil and petrochemicals. Maybe propping up a bunch of new green energy companies with huge federal loans can cover that gap and still get Barry re-elected...

Worst option of all - actually confront OPEC nations and domestic refineries to bring down the price of crude and refined products for domestic use. A couple of sorties into Tehran might be a good start. Oh wait, Barry's party is anti-war... Nevertheless Barry bombed Libya and claimed victory, never mind helping them form a government. I'm sure that the free people of Libya will be successful in forming a democratic government on their own, they have so much experience and there are no opposing parties that have other intentions.

BOHICA - Bend Over Here It Comes Again.

I can explain it to you but I can't understand it for you.

"Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the Government take care of him; better take a closer look at the American Indian." - Henry Ford

Corruptissima re publica plurimae leges; When the Republic is at its most corrupt the laws are most numerous. - Publius Cornelius Tacitus

21 Feb 2012 02:01 #5 by JSG
What a nincompoop.

The uncertainty over Iran is what is driving the gas prices higher right now, according to the news. And we get no gas from them anyway.

"Sorties into Tehran" would do nothing but increase the cost of crude by creating a more unstable international situation.

21 Feb 2012 05:50 - 21 Feb 2012 06:59 #6 by FredHayek
He will blame speculators! Even though he has admitted in speeches before being elected that he thinks US gas prices are too low and should be at European levels.

21 Feb 2012 06:16 #7 by TPP
He'll BLAME Bush, like always.

21 Feb 2012 06:54 #8 by LadyJazzer
He'll do about as much as Bush did when the prices went up 400% at one point.

21 Feb 2012 06:58 #9 by LOL
He'll blame Big oil and their obscene profits! Hey, maybe we should have a contest/poll?

Its 3.80/gal now in CA and NY

If you want to be, press one. If you want not to be, press 2

Republicans are red, democrats are blue, neither of them, gives a flip about you.

21 Feb 2012 07:00 #10 by FredHayek

Joe wrote: He'll blame Big oil and their obscene profits! Hey, maybe we should have a contest/poll?

Its 3.80/gal now in CA and NY

Stop picking on Obama, he is a blamer, not a doer. :thumbsup:

Time to create page: 0.176 seconds