The Go Nowhere Generation

12 Mar 2012 17:50 #21 by FredHayek
Replied by FredHayek on topic The Go Nowhere Generation
Joe, good point about magnet States. I got out of college in 1987 and Colorado was in a funk. I stuck it out here, but a lot of my classmates headed to Cali or New York. Now the jobs are in North Dakota? Really?

Thomas Sowell: There are no solutions, just trade-offs.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

12 Mar 2012 18:13 #22 by LOL
Replied by LOL on topic The Go Nowhere Generation
Oil and construction is booming in ND. 3% unemployment. There are also technology/engineering jobs in Fargo affiliated with the University and John Deere, etc..

If you want to be, press one. If you want not to be, press 2

Republicans are red, democrats are blue, neither of them, gives a flip about you.

12 Mar 2012 19:42 #23 by Arlen
Replied by Arlen on topic The Go Nowhere Generation
Young people lack the pioneer spirit, rugged individualism, and independence. They are too social. Can't leave their family, friends, buddies, and gravy bowl.

13 Mar 2012 09:14 #24 by UNDER MODERATION
Replied by UNDER MODERATION on topic The Go Nowhere Generation

Vice Lord wrote:

Joe wrote: www.nytimes.com/2012/03/11/opinion/sunda...here-generation.html

This was an interesting article. I wonder what caused this change?

In the early 80's it was just the reverse, most of my friends moved all over the place. Weird?
It's not just money either, we were always broke in our 20s too.

The likelihood of 20-somethings moving to another state has dropped well over 40 percent since the 1980s, according to calculations based on Census Bureau data. The stuck-at-home mentality hits college-Americans as well as those without high school degrees. According to the Pew Research Center, the proportion of young adults living at home nearly doubled between 1980 and 2008, before the Great Recession hit. Even bicycle sales are lower now than they were in 2000. Today’s generation is literally going nowhere. This is the Occupy movement we should really be worried about.

When I moved out in 1983 rent was $250 for a nice place, gasoline was 99 cents a gallon, my phone bill was $12, my electric bill was $22, tv, water and garbage service was free....... and wages have been stagnant since Reagan was president.. So it is different Joe..

To blame it on kids nowadays is just retarded...You rightwingretards blame everything on eachother? We are less mobile for a variety of economic reasons..When I was a kid my friends dad worked at a Bowling alley, he did'nt own it he just worked the counter there..They had a modest home, took family vacations, and sent his kids to college on that job..And my friends mom did'nt work-

You lil brats werent around to see what i've seen..The corporate war on the middle class has made a huge difference in the quality of live of ALL of US here

13 Mar 2012 09:18 #25 by UNDER MODERATION

CritiKalbILL wrote:

Vice Lord wrote:

Joe wrote: www.nytimes.com/2012/03/11/opinion/sunda...here-generation.html

This was an interesting article. I wonder what caused this change?

In the early 80's it was just the reverse, most of my friends moved all over the place. Weird?
It's not just money either, we were always broke in our 20s too.

The likelihood of 20-somethings moving to another state has dropped well over 40 percent since the 1980s, according to calculations based on Census Bureau data. The stuck-at-home mentality hits college-Americans as well as those without high school degrees. According to the Pew Research Center, the proportion of young adults living at home nearly doubled between 1980 and 2008, before the Great Recession hit. Even bicycle sales are lower now than they were in 2000. Today’s generation is literally going nowhere. This is the Occupy movement we should really be worried about.

When I moved out in 1983 rent was $250 for a nice place, gasoline was 67 cents a gallon, my phone bill was $12, my electric bill was $22, tv, water and garbage service was free....... and wages have been stagnant since Reagan was president.. So it is different Joe..

And the minimum wage was $3.35.

Wages have been stagnant since Reagan was president..Do you have enough attention span to look at a graph?

http://newsjunkiepost.com/2011/02/06/th ... in-charts/

13 Mar 2012 09:36 #26 by BearMtnHIB
Hey VL- if you want to do better than you have been doing.......

You could get a JOB!!

Try the Bowling Alley.

13 Mar 2012 09:50 #27 by FredHayek
Actually as the Baby boomers start retiring, jobs should be opening up for Generation Y.

13 Mar 2012 10:41 #28 by UNDER MODERATION

FredHayek wrote: Actually as the Baby boomers start retiring, jobs should be opening up for Generation Y.

Yeah, jobs with low pay and no benifits..Its gonna be a great life

13 Mar 2012 10:43 #29 by FredHayek

Vice Lord wrote:

FredHayek wrote: Actually as the Baby boomers start retiring, jobs should be opening up for Generation Y.

Yeah, jobs with low pay and no benifits..Its gonna be a great life

But less people competing for those jobs, so we might get a wage increase.

13 Mar 2012 10:53 #30 by UNDER MODERATION

BearMtnHIB wrote: Hey VL- if you want to do better than you have been doing.......

You could get a JOB!!

Try the Bowling Alley.

My dad was a pilot for United Airlines but he was career Air Force so he started late in life..He was making $500 month as a DC-8 engineer when he was 40 so I grew up semi poor....I remember some of my friends parents working at gas stations and department stores and they had good lives..They owned homes, they coached little league baseball, they had boats, nice cars and did things on weekends..As I look around I see people with no lives, people losing thier homes and struggeling just to tread water..Struggeling just to keep the heat and electricity on..

Things have changed and i'm old enough to know better

Time to create page: 0.160 seconds