The Go Nowhere Generation

15 Mar 2012 10:08 #51 by FredHayek
Replied by FredHayek on topic The Go Nowhere Generation
Playing video games is a lot cheaper than doing real activities. Hunting? Much more expensive and worse weather than the video game. Dirt bike racing? Much more dangerous and expensive than a game console, so on. I can see why it is tempting.

But like VL says, sometimes the video game inspires the kids to go out and do the real thing.

Thomas Sowell: There are no solutions, just trade-offs.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

15 Mar 2012 12:05 #52 by LOL
Replied by LOL on topic The Go Nowhere Generation
Forget the video games, I was more interested in the driver license stats. I admit I don't understand the 20s generation at all. Why less interest in getting a DL?

Joe wrote: But wait.....

It gets worse.

Research shows teens in no hurry to get drivers licenses either. WTF?

I could see if you lived in a metro area with good public transit or even a 50cc scooter.
I guess times are changin. ??? I'm glad I didn't grow up in this generation. ughhh.

http://www.usatoday.com/news/nation/sto ... 53536474/1

The frantic rush to get a license at 16 — once a staple in American adolescence — is disappearing as Internet access and stiffening driving rules have led teens to wait longer to beg for the keys.

"Kids can entertain themselves completely at home," Hart said. "People aren't going to the movies as much. People haven't been going to arcades. If I didn't have a computer or have a cellphone, I would definitely push myself more to get a license to go out and do things."

If you want to be, press one. If you want not to be, press 2

Republicans are red, democrats are blue, neither of them, gives a flip about you.

15 Mar 2012 12:17 #53 by FredHayek
Do they even have arcades anymore?

True about drivers licenses. My nieces could care less about getting their DL's on time. I was in line at the DMV when I turned 15 1/2.

15 Mar 2012 18:55 #54 by Hoot Owl
Replied by Hoot Owl on topic The Go Nowhere Generation

FredHayek wrote: Do they even have arcades anymore?

True about drivers licenses. My nieces could care less about getting their DL's on time. I was in line at the DMV when I turned 15 1/2.

Thank God for the teens dont want to get their licesnse, it would have taken me 4 hours to get mine renewed yesterday. 2 hours with all the teens was enough for me.

I have to wonder about all the comments about video games. What example is set by some parents who are on forums all day long?

16 Mar 2012 05:34 #55 by FredHayek

Hoot Owl wrote:

FredHayek wrote: Do they even have arcades anymore?

Thank God for the teens dont want to get their licesnse, it would have taken me 4 hours to get mine renewed yesterday. 2 hours with all the teens was enough for me.

I have to wonder about all the comments about video games. What example is set by some parents who are on forums all day long?

Touche'!

17 Mar 2012 18:04 #56 by UNDER MODERATION
Replied by UNDER MODERATION on topic The Go Nowhere Generation

Hoot Owl wrote: I have to wonder about all the comments about video games. What example is set by some parents who are on forums all day long?

Thanks for backin me up Hoot, I can always count on you for support. And you're right- there's not a darned thing wrong with video games, in fact I have to question the sanity of people who still play board games in this day and age.

How could they possibly be fun!?

17 Mar 2012 18:11 #57 by UNDER MODERATION
Replied by UNDER MODERATION on topic The Go Nowhere Generation

FredHayek wrote: But like VL says, sometimes the video game inspires the kids to go out and do the real thing.

Well said

:hands:

17 Mar 2012 18:27 #58 by LOL

Vice Lord wrote: Thanks for backin me up Hoot, I can always count on you for support.

LOL, wuss. :lol:

Republicans are red, democrats are blue, neither of them, gives a flip about you.

17 Mar 2012 18:33 #59 by LOL

Hoot Owl wrote: I have to wonder about all the comments about video games. What example is set by some parents who are on forums all day long?

That most of them are slacking on the job?

PS, try the Golden MV office, it was only 45 minutes for me.

17 Mar 2012 21:41 #60 by ScienceChic

Hoot Owl wrote: What example is set by some parents who are on forums all day long?

:scared: Hey now! Some of us have to work for a living! :wink:

"Now, more than ever, the illusions of division threaten our very existence. We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another as if we were one single tribe.” -King T'Challa, Black Panther

The truth is incontrovertible. Malice may attack it. ignorance may deride it, but in the end, there it is. ~Winston Churchill

Time to create page: 0.151 seconds