The Go Nowhere Generation

14 Mar 2012 17:49 #41 by UNDER MODERATION
Replied by UNDER MODERATION on topic The Go Nowhere Generation

Joe wrote:

Vice Lord wrote:

Joe wrote: ??? I'm glad I didn't grow up in this generation. ughhh.

Ok grandpaw...of all the things to complain about in this world..

I'm serious. When I was in High school, I had a license, a car I bought myself and paid for the insurance, and I got "early release" permission from the school to leave at 2pm to go to my job at the gas station. I didn't ride the bus home and play video games.

How can you function without a drivers license? WTF

You never lived in a city, and..Kids have a lot more things to do now- Driving around is all we had and quite frankly its boring. Its not exactly an activity in itself like it was for us..I had 5 tv channels, and maybe some board games at home when I was a kid, and that was it.

And you sound like an old timer when you bash Video games..They are literally 5 million times more engaging than anything we had growing up-time to enter the 21th century my friend... kids now have a lot more fun than we did- a lot more

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

14 Mar 2012 17:56 #42 by Rick
Replied by Rick on topic The Go Nowhere Generation

Vice Lord wrote:

Joe wrote:

Vice Lord wrote:

Joe wrote: ??? I'm glad I didn't grow up in this generation. ughhh.

Ok grandpaw...of all the things to complain about in this world..

I'm serious. When I was in High school, I had a license, a car I bought myself and paid for the insurance, and I got "early release" permission from the school to leave at 2pm to go to my job at the gas station. I didn't ride the bus home and play video games.

How can you function without a drivers license? WTF

And you sound like an old timer when you bash Video games..They are literally 5 million times more engaging than anything we had growing up-time to enter the 21th century my friend... kids now have a lot more fun than we did- a lot more

I hope you haven't reproduced yet.

It was always the women, and above all the young ones, who were the most bigoted adherents of the Party, the swallowers of slogans, the amateur spies and nosers−out of unorthodoxy

George Orwell

14 Mar 2012 17:58 #43 by UNDER MODERATION
6 kids

And they are all grown up and reproducing....

14 Mar 2012 18:10 #44 by LOL
Replied by LOL on topic The Go Nowhere Generation
This reminds me of a story of my Boss a few years ago. He bought a beautiful house in Central city in the mountains, 2nd home. Had a wife and 2 kids in Littleton. I was up there to see the place and we rode dirt bikes all around up in the hills. I asked him why his two boys never came up there. Oh, they just stay home in Denver with Mom, and play video games all day. So sad. A beautiful mountain house, and they never go up there. I think he separated later and moved in with some mountain chick up there. LOL

I'd rather live in the real world and enjoy the mountains than play video games. JMO

As for city life, I've lived in Washington DC, Denver, Tucson and San Diego and lots of small towns.

If you want to be, press one. If you want not to be, press 2

Republicans are red, democrats are blue, neither of them, gives a flip about you.

14 Mar 2012 19:40 #45 by Rick
Replied by Rick on topic The Go Nowhere Generation
People who let their kids stay indoors playing video games when it's a beautiful day need to pull their heads out of their asses imo. Nobody can tell me that exercise and imagination can ever be replaced with a f#$king video game.

It was always the women, and above all the young ones, who were the most bigoted adherents of the Party, the swallowers of slogans, the amateur spies and nosers−out of unorthodoxy

George Orwell

14 Mar 2012 21:05 - 14 Mar 2012 21:11 #46 by UNDER MODERATION
Seriously..I'm dead serious right now- One of my boys could walk on as a Middle Line Backer on half the division 1 schools right now if he wanted, he was the best I ever saw, recruited by Mullen and everything else before he quit- and he's a freak of training..he's 100% explosive muscle-and my other kid is a golf prodigy..I use to post pictures everyday of my us golfing..Almost every single day for years...I think Martin Inc. remembers? It was on another board, club285 I think?..We used to play 2 and 3 courses a day, me and all my boys from sun up to sunset..We play 3-4 times a week now I just stopped taking pictures..All my kids played sports and we all love video games..My kids started golfing after I bought them Tiger Woods 03 or whatever..01 maybe? Same with basketball. Video games and playing outdoors are not mutally exclusive.

14 Mar 2012 21:07 #47 by UNDER MODERATION

Joe wrote: This reminds me of a story of my Boss a few years ago. He bought a beautiful house in Central city in the mountains, 2nd home. Had a wife and 2 kids in Littleton. I was up there to see the place and we rode dirt bikes all around up in the hills. I asked him why his two boys never came up there. Oh, they just stay home in Denver with Mom, and play video games all day. So sad. A beautiful mountain house, and they never go up there. I think he separated later and moved in with some mountain chick up there. LOL

I'd rather live in the real world and enjoy the mountains than play video games. JMO

As for city life, I've lived in Washington DC, Denver, Tucson and San Diego and lots of small towns.

You don't know all what that went on behind the closed doors of that family so don't act like you determined thier problem after just one afternoon visit.

15 Mar 2012 08:54 #48 by BearMtnHIB

Aside from completely wasting one's youth- there are not many good reasons to play video games. I've been saying this since the 80's- would you like to waste you're life away? Take up video games.

With the multitude of other skills to learn that do have value- why would any parent allow their kids to play video games? I have preached this to my brothers- don't let the girls play video games.

I had one video game on my computer back in the 80's- it was a golf game. After a month I thought about how much time I had wasted on that game- and I took it off the computer. I have not had a video game on any of my computers since then.

The fact is- there are literally hundreds of other entertaining activities that actually have value- I was learning about word processors, databases, spreadsheats, programming and computer aided design software. I taught myself how to do those things (and do them well)- with the same time that my friends were playing all madden football. Learning those skills was just as entertaining to me as playing a stupid video game.

Guess who has a job today- and who is un-employed? My friends have spent enough hours playing all madden football or whatever they used to call it- to get a PHD degree. I'm not kidding. I often joked with them and told them- you have a PHD in video football.

Unless you want to belong to VL's "Mc Donalds & Wendy's union"- today's kids better get them some skills they can trade. The jobs of the future will require all kinds of computer based skills- and today's jobs & employers of the future are just assuming that the people they hire already have those skills. It's exteremly important that every American kid have a diverse set of computer skills- and I don't mean video game skills.

Check out the help wanted list- how many of those jobs list "video game master" as a required skill?

But whatever- if you want to let you're kids spend the best years of their youth playing worthless games- get with VL on his new fast food union- they will need to have some "union thug protection" to protect those minimum wage jobs from the invading illegal immigrants!

15 Mar 2012 09:12 #49 by Blazer Bob

BearMtnHIB wrote:

Check out the help wanted list- how many of those jobs list "video game master" as a required skill?

I believe I saw somewhere that video players a useful in the military to fly drones and manage the "electronic battlefield"

15 Mar 2012 09:17 #50 by BearMtnHIB

neptunechimney wrote:

BearMtnHIB wrote:

I believe I saw somewhere that video players a useful in the military to fly drones and manage the "electronic battlefield"

Yes I suppose the eye to hand coordination kids get with video games will be useful for the military drone operator- they will need millions of drone operators once they adapt drones for domestic civillian control.

Time to create page: 0.154 seconds