Gas Prices Could Drop 50 Cents By June, Experts Say

25 Apr 2012 11:39 #31 by MWMGROUP
Would that what your shrink tells you to say when you want to dodge a question? You're pretty good at deflecting the truth when shown to you.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

25 Apr 2012 12:09 #32 by PrintSmith

LadyJazzer wrote: Why, yes... I remember $4.00/gallon gas in 2008--and who was president... But as I recall, all of the conservatives said "The President has no control over gas-prices." How soon we forget.

My my - do "progressives" think that the cost increase in 2008 was for the same reason as the one currently in progress? They can't be such simpletons, or hope that the rest of the union's populace are, can they? Look into why the cost went up in 2008 and why it is now going up and make your own determination. To presume that the cost increase is due to the same root cause every time is a logical fallacy that the deceptive hope you will fall prey to, and only the lazy will fall prey to. Don't be lazy, don't be deceived - investigate yourself and become informed.

25 Apr 2012 12:24 #33 by BearMtnHIB
I paid $3.85 yesterday- and I bet it's closer to 4 bucks in alot of places- I usually shop the cheapest gas.

I would like to remind all the Obama supporters that $3.85 is pretty damn close to 4 bucks.

I would like to remind all the Obama supporters that $3.85 is pretty damn close to 4 bucks.

At those prices- everything goes up in price- shoes, oranges, corn, rice, even water.

And it wouldn't suprise me that gas would drop 50 cents- big whoop. We need it a whole lot less than that to sustain economic growth in America.

It only took a few months of $4.00 gas in 2008 to trigger this recession- a recession that many of us are still not out of yet.

Here we are within 15 cents of that same price- and it won't be long before things start screeching to a stop again- the drop in gas prices may be more related to the slowing economy - than any other factor.

Obama's policies have played a major role in the high gas prices we see now. Gas prices may be 50 cents lower in June- but that's the only good news in a economy swiriling back down the crapper.

25 Apr 2012 13:48 #34 by Raees
As stated earlier. Oil prices are set on a global market. Nothing the U.S. does changes the cost of a barrel of crude oil -- not drilling or pipelines. The price is set on the world market. There's not a separate price for U.S. oil. The Chinese are driving up the cost of oil by buying so much. The reason it went up so high in 2008 was also due to events abroad, not at home. Why is that so hard for some people to understand?

25 Apr 2012 14:02 #35 by archer

Raees wrote: As stated earlier. Oil prices are set on a global market. Nothing the U.S. does changes the cost of a barrel of crude oil -- not drilling or pipelines. The price is set on the world market. There's not a separate price for U.S. oil. The Chinese are driving up the cost of oil by buying so much. The reason it went up so high in 2008 was also due to events abroad, not at home. Why is that so hard for some people to understand?

The right seemed to understand it when a Republican was president, but now that we have a Democrat in the white house they have abandoned the truth for a lie about high prices being Obama's fault. If we could tax the conservative lies about Obama it would certainly lower our deficit significantly.

25 Apr 2012 14:06 #36 by FredHayek

Raees wrote: As stated earlier. Oil prices are set on a global market. Nothing the U.S. does changes the cost of a barrel of crude oil -- not drilling or pipelines. The price is set on the world market. There's not a separate price for U.S. oil. The Chinese are driving up the cost of oil by buying so much. The reason it went up so high in 2008 was also due to events abroad, not at home. Why is that so hard for some people to understand?

Nothing the US does changes the cost of a barrel of oil? A decrease in demand in the US when the 2008 recession hit did drop the price worldwide. When the US consumes 25% of the oil, that happens.

And when the US produces as much oil as Libya, US drilling and even anticipated drilling affects oil futures.

Thomas Sowell: There are no solutions, just trade-offs.

25 Apr 2012 14:09 #37 by FredHayek
True, Chinese demand does affect the price of oil. And they are on pace to consume more oil than the US.

But also consider the effect the President can have, last time the US chose to release reserves from the American reserves, the market price actually increased because traders thought supply was going to get worse. So to say the President has no effect on oil prices is incorrect.

Thomas Sowell: There are no solutions, just trade-offs.

25 Apr 2012 14:26 #38 by PrintSmith
Why is it so hard to understand that the price is a reflection of the global demand compared to the global supply? The more proven reserves there are to ease concerns about the length of time that the global demand can be met, the lower the cost will be. The "proven reserves" of the United States right now is about what it was in 1940 - 22 billion barrels or so. Anyone think we haven't extracted far more than 22 billion barrels of oil domestically in the last 70 years? Think the price per barrel would drop appreciably if the "proven reserves" around the globe doubled instead of remaining stagnant due to policies designed to keep everyone out of plays that could increase the amount of "proven reserves"?

But there's a problem you see. If we allow the amount of "proven reserves" to rise and the cost to drop, then the already economically inferior "alternatives" will be even less desirable than they are at the current time as the cost differential will widen instead of narrow. That's not a good thing if you are looking to raise the cost of traditionally inexpensive energy to bring alternatives closer to fiscal parity. $60/barrel oil is catastrophic for the AGW movement. They simply won't be able to advance their agenda and get the world to pay attention to the looming disaster when the cost of gasoline is closer to $2/gallon than it is to $4/gallon. We have a planet to save and we need $8/gallon gas in order to do that. At $2/gallon, folks aren't going to buy hybrids, or EVs - there simply won't be a financial incentive to prod them into doing that anymore. Better to keep the cost just under painful and economically damaging so that the extra cost of a hybrid or EV can be recovered if the vehicle is held onto for 10 years, no one will buy them if it will take 20 years to get the extra money spent back.

25 Apr 2012 16:11 #39 by LadyJazzer

MWMGROUP wrote: Would that what your shrink tells you to say when you want to dodge a question? You're pretty good at deflecting the truth when shown to you.

I don't have a shrink, but I would say you could use one.

Keep it up, slimebag.

25 Apr 2012 16:41 #40 by Raees

FredHayek wrote: True, Chinese demand does affect the price of oil. And they are on pace to consume more oil than the US.

But also consider the effect the President can have, last time the US chose to release reserves from the American reserves, the market price actually increased because traders thought supply was going to get worse. So to say the President has no effect on oil prices is incorrect.

No it's no incorrect. You are talking about the price of gas not oil. Releasing the American Reserves does not affect the worldwide price of a barrel of oil.

The Reserves are not there for high oil prices. They are there in case of an oil embargo or cutoff of our regular supplies.

Doubling the MPG of a vehicle effectively cuts the price of gas in half. I'd rather see that pursued than trying to extract oil using a large carbon footprint.

Time to create page: 0.175 seconds