Gas Prices Could Drop 50 Cents By June, Experts Say

25 Apr 2012 16:53 - 25 Apr 2012 16:58 #41 by The Boss
here we go again, people thinking that the deal you make as you buy your gas has anything to do with anyone that is not there.

Gas is too much, BS, you are still buying it. When something really costs too much, you don't buy it. I know that there is all kinds of political crap behind it, but we have forgotten what it is like to have ANY consumer power.

You can lower the price of gas by refusing to buy it because it costs too much, the problem is that it does not cost too much, you just don't like the price. When something really costs too much, demand will go down and price will drop if those producing it still want to sell it.

But again, gas is worth WAY more than $4/gallon, you will be able to see this when it is $6 or $8 and people still buy the stuff.

I really don't see what some president has to do with me still being willing to pay more for gas than what I want to or I think the market price is....that does not speak to politics, it speaks to you designing your life around this fuel to such an extent that you cannot even afford to exert consumer market pressure on the sellers, gas is cheap and your rhetoric does not match your actions, most of you will still buy at $10 a gallon and then come here and complain, when you could have set the price by not buying at all.

This is what addiction feels like. Perhaps it is time for some addiction treatment in stead of arguing what the dealers, who have all the supply, are charging.

This is the same concept as too big to fail. Let's keep propping up the problem in stead of admitting that we have one.

Gas would be cheap at $25 a gallon and you will soon have the chance to see I am right, when you buy it and rush home to post about it.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

25 Apr 2012 16:56 #42 by Rick
Since it makes no difference whether or not we use our own resources, I'd like to see what happens to the price of oil if ALL driling was banned in the US for a year.

It was always the women, and above all the young ones, who were the most bigoted adherents of the Party, the swallowers of slogans, the amateur spies and nosers−out of unorthodoxy

George Orwell

25 Apr 2012 16:59 #43 by Raees
The price of a barrel of oil would go up, of course. We export oil to world markets. 252,000 barrels a day, according to one estimate.

http://www.platts.com/weblog/oilblog/20 ... l_exp.html

25 Apr 2012 17:05 #44 by The Boss

CritiKalbILL wrote: Since it makes no difference whether or not we use our own resources, I'd like to see what happens to the price of oil if ALL driling was banned in the US for a year.

Does anyone one here actually own gas or oil reserves? What is this our resources crap?

This is like talking about companies like they are countries. A bunch of international companies (shareholders) own the rights to the oil and whatever oil your govt has is to control or defend you, not give you gas to take your snot nose brat to soccer.

These are not "our" resources, even if they are on American soil, all that soil and those rights are owned by people and companies.

I am curious if anyone has a dollar amount that if they saw at the pump that they would simply stop buying fuel. If it was $25/gallon tomorrow, would you buy zero, or as much as you could store?

25 Apr 2012 17:18 #46 by FredHayek
Actually if you look at what hybrid autos cost versus gas prices people are paying it doesn't make economic sense to buy a Prius. But good point about gas prices. It is more a.bout a shock to the system.

Thomas Sowell: There are no solutions, just trade-offs.

25 Apr 2012 17:40 #47 by The Boss

FredHayek wrote: Actually if you look at what hybrid autos cost versus gas prices people are paying it doesn't make economic sense to buy a Prius. But good point about gas prices. It is more a.bout a shock to the system.

I assumed everyone already knew this by now (do people still buy these things), since you can take the published data from any gas car that gets 40 mpg and easily see that the prius is a cost per mile rip off. Many who don't know any math or are afraid to use it fell for this trick. You can get a 40 mpg nissan for $10-11k and barely ever have to invest anything into it. I have given 4 prius dealers over the years the chance to show me that I would save even vs. the basic gas toyota and not one could do it.

I assume the only folks buying priuses were people that got rich somehow without going to 3rd grade (the level of math that is required to see that the prius is a rip off) and people that want a status symbol, like people who drive lexi and what not. I guess there are also the people that felt some kind of responsibility to over invest in toyota through their car so toyota could do more research.

25 Apr 2012 17:43 #48 by The Boss

Raees wrote: :yeahthat:

http://www.eia.gov/dnav/pet/pet_move_ex ... mbbl_m.htm

WOW, exports of US oil companies has gone up 4 fold in the last 7 years after not changing for almost 40 years. Appeared to start in 2005, did some regs change?

26 Apr 2012 11:24 #49 by Rick

popcorn eater wrote:

CritiKalbILL wrote: Since it makes no difference whether or not we use our own resources, I'd like to see what happens to the price of oil if ALL driling was banned in the US for a year.

Does anyone one here actually own gas or oil reserves? What is this our resources crap?

This is like talking about companies like they are countries. A bunch of international companies (shareholders) own the rights to the oil and whatever oil your govt has is to control or defend you, not give you gas to take your snot nose brat to soccer.

These are not "our" resources, even if they are on American soil, all that soil and those rights are owned by people and companies.

I am curious if anyone has a dollar amount that if they saw at the pump that they would simply stop buying fuel. If it was $25/gallon tomorrow, would you buy zero, or as much as you could store?

When we get oil from our enemies, is that "their" oil? Who's oil is it if not the people who occupy the land above it?

It was always the women, and above all the young ones, who were the most bigoted adherents of the Party, the swallowers of slogans, the amateur spies and nosers−out of unorthodoxy

George Orwell

26 Apr 2012 12:39 #50 by PrintSmith

popcorn eater wrote:

Raees wrote: :yeahthat:

http://www.eia.gov/dnav/pet/pet_move_ex ... mbbl_m.htm

WOW, exports of US oil companies has gone up 4 fold in the last 7 years after not changing for almost 40 years. Appeared to start in 2005, did some regs change?

Indeed they did - specifically the regulations on sulfur content in diesel fuel scheduled to take effect in 2007. Went from something like 500 ppm for LSD to 15ppm or less for ULSD - that is why diesel fuel now costs more than regular unleaded gasoline - it's sulfur allowance is 300 ppm and the government won't lower it because, surprise, surprise, it would add to the cost of a gallon of gasoline. Most voters don't stop to think about that extra cost of diesel being in every bite of food they take, the government can hide the cost they have imposed on the consumer and have the consumer believe it is the fault of the evil food corporations or the evil energy companies instead of the evil government, but they sure do see it when it gets added onto the gas they pump into their own tank. Fuel taxes are higher on diesel as well, which most people also don't stop to think about.

A lot of the refineries did the math and figured out it would be less expensive for them to not upgrade and export the fuel that could no longer be sold inside the union than it would be to get all the permits and environmental approval necessary to upgrade the refinery. They only upgraded enough of them to make sure that they could still sell diesel to supply the existing market, which tightened availability, another thing that raises cost. That's why diesel fuel, which is less expensive to refine out of crude oil, is now more expensive than gasoline and why we have increased the amount of fuel that we export.

Time to create page: 0.391 seconds