Gas Prices Could Drop 50 Cents By June, Experts Say

26 Apr 2012 12:51 #51 by Raees

CritiKalbILL wrote: When we get oil from our enemies, is that "their" oil? Who's oil is it if not the people who occupy the land above it?

Do you actually have no conception of the difference between free market oil corporations and nationalized oil companies?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

26 Apr 2012 13:01 #52 by PrintSmith
Free market oil companies are only allowed to go after the oil that lies beneath the ground owned by others when they purchase the right to do that from the person or entity which holds those rights. The federal government owns all the oil that is underneath the land that they own. No private market company can take that oil unless they give them permission to drill for it and pay it some of the money that results from it being harvested. The owners of the farms in North Dakota similarly own the gas and oil that lies beneath their feet if they also own the mineral rights to that property. No private market oil corporation can drill to harvest those resources without purchasing from the farmer the rights to do so because all of that gas and all of that oil belongs to the farmer, just like the crops he grows on top of the soil do.

26 Apr 2012 13:53 #53 by Raees
Thank you, Captain Obvious.

26 Apr 2012 14:18 #54 by Rick

Raees wrote:

CritiKalbILL wrote: When we get oil from our enemies, is that "their" oil? Who's oil is it if not the people who occupy the land above it?

Do you actually have no conception of the difference between free market oil corporations and nationalized oil companies?

When I say "America is MY country", that doesn't mean that I own the country, only that it is the country I am a citizen of. So if it's ok to say this is OUR country, then it should be ok to say this is our oil, our mountains, our people, our resources. Get a clue.

It was always the women, and above all the young ones, who were the most bigoted adherents of the Party, the swallowers of slogans, the amateur spies and nosers−out of unorthodoxy

George Orwell

26 Apr 2012 14:29 #55 by Blazer Bob

Raees wrote: Thank you, Captain Obvious.

OT

Speaking of obvious I see you have the same style as poster JSG. You both remind me of a fellow I have drunk beer with. Not that I care, this is just a message board, just saying that if I am right you are not doing a good job of changing skins.

26 Apr 2012 14:46 #56 by PrintSmith

CritiKalbILL wrote: When I say "America is MY country", that doesn't mean that I own the country, only that it is the country I am a citizen of. So if it's ok to say this is OUR country, then it should be ok to say this is our oil, our mountains, our people, our resources. Get a clue.

Which is the problem - you aren't a citizen of a country while you are within the borders of any State within this union, you are a citizen of one of those States, regardless of which of them you happen to be in. You enjoy a consistent set of privileges and immunities regardless of which of them you happen to be in because they all belong to the same union, but you are not equally a citizen of all of them, only one of them. You are a citizen of one of the United States, not all of them CB. I know it is perhaps picking nits regarding the current topic, but it is an important distinction that I don't think can ever be mentioned too often.

26 Apr 2012 15:22 #57 by archer

PrintSmith wrote: but it is an important distinction that I don't think can ever be mentioned too often.

and you do mention it over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over again.....and that's on a slow day. Perhaps you think that by flooding this little message board with your warped view of what being a citizen of these UNITED States means, you will make it so. It hasn't happened yet, but you just keep trying. What is popular the definition of insanity? Well, you know.

26 Apr 2012 16:41 #58 by PrintSmith
Look at that again archer, and you will see you have proved my point for me. This is not the United STATE of America, meaning only one, it is the United STATES of America - plural, as in many. Not this United State, but these United States. I am not equally a citizen of Texas, New York, California and Colorado - I am a citizen of only one of those States - Colorado. I am not merely a resident of Colorado, I am a citizen of the State of Colorado.

26 Apr 2012 16:46 #59 by Raees

neptunechimney wrote:

Raees wrote: Thank you, Captain Obvious.

OT

Speaking of obvious I see you have the same style as poster JSG. You both remind me of a fellow I have drunk beer with. Not that I care, this is just a message board, just saying that if I am right you are not doing a good job of changing skins.

You should drink less beer then and quit trying to figure out who everyone is. I am actually a dog.

26 Apr 2012 16:49 #60 by Raees

CritiKalbILL wrote:

Raees wrote:

When I say "America is MY country", that doesn't mean that I own the country, only that it is the country I am a citizen of. So if it's ok to say this is OUR country, then it should be ok to say this is our oil, our mountains, our people, our resources. Get a clue.

OK, I'll spell it out for you. Our "enemies" may not have international companies drilling for oil. They may have nationalized companies drilling for oil so while our oil goes to international corporations so they can make obscene profits our enemies may actually own the oil companies in their countries, and thus the oil.

Time to create page: 0.156 seconds