Obama Says He’ll Save Average Family $8,000 in Gas

08 May 2012 15:42 - 08 May 2012 16:33 #61 by PrintSmith

Nobody that matters wrote:

ZHawke wrote: Doesn't matter what we drive or what mileage our vehicles get. If fuel economy standards are improved, I don't know if I could afford to change vehicles immediately, but a vehicle with better fuel economy would certainly appear on my radar screen, that's for sure.

It matters a great deal. That vehicle with better fuel economy is going to cost more. Why haven't you gone the extra mile yet to buy a prius? Why is there not a Volt in your garage?

Because you don't know if you could afford it. So you continue to drive what you've got. Just like what most everyone else is going to do when the federal government jacks the CAFE standards up and raises the price of ALL new cars.

If you haven't paid more yet for better mileage, I don't see where you can expect us to believe you will in the future.

:yeahthat:
You can pick up a 48+ mpg vehicle right now used for around $5K Z - you could have picked one up the last time you purchased a car as well. Volkswagen has been making a 45+ mpg vehicle since the late 1970's - and you have yet to purchase one. The second generation Saturn SLs had fuel economy of 40 mpg - and they were made in the late 1990's through early 2000's.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

08 May 2012 16:12 #62 by archer

CritiKalbILL wrote:

archer wrote: My opinion is that the conservatives have a shorter vision for America than the liberals do. .

There you go with your usual blanket statement...AGAIN. I happen to think renewable energy sources are fine, in fact, I think they will be great one day when we can afford to use them.

And when you assume to know what conservatives think, as usual, you seem to forget certain facts.

There you go again with your accusatory statements....I said it was my opinion (which is far more than you ever do). I didn't say I knew what conservatives think......I base my opinions on what I see their elected representatives doing in congress and in the state governments that they control.

08 May 2012 16:26 #63 by ZHawke

archer wrote:

CritiKalbILL wrote:

archer wrote: My opinion is that the conservatives have a shorter vision for America than the liberals do. .

There you go with your usual blanket statement...AGAIN. I happen to think renewable energy sources are fine, in fact, I think they will be great one day when we can afford to use them.

And when you assume to know what conservatives think, as usual, you seem to forget certain facts.

There you go again with your accusatory statements....I said it was my opinion (which is far more than you ever do). I didn't say I knew what conservatives think......I base my opinions on what I see their elected representatives doing in congress and in the state governments that they control.

Hey, Archer - might as well give it up. I've tried I don't know how many times to "clarify" statements of opinion I make with no recognition or acknowledgement of that fact from some of the posters on this thread. People who really want to "hear" what's being said need to also be able to "comprehend" what's being written, especially when the caveats are clear.

08 May 2012 18:01 #64 by Rick

archer wrote:

CritiKalbILL wrote:

You opinion is based on what...some Republicans you know?

It was always the women, and above all the young ones, who were the most bigoted adherents of the Party, the swallowers of slogans, the amateur spies and nosers−out of unorthodoxy

George Orwell

08 May 2012 18:38 #65 by archer

CritiKalbILL wrote:

archer wrote:

CritiKalbILL wrote:

Read it again bill....I told you what my opinion was based on,

08 May 2012 19:25 #66 by ZHawke

PrintSmith wrote:

ZHawke wrote: Doesn't matter what we drive or what mileage our vehicles get. If fuel economy standards are improved, I don't know if I could afford to change vehicles immediately, but a vehicle with better fuel economy would certainly appear on my radar screen, that's for sure.

It matters a great deal. That vehicle with better fuel economy is going to cost more. Why haven't you gone the extra mile yet to buy a prius? Why is there not a Volt in your garage?

Because you don't know if you could afford it. So you continue to drive what you've got. Just like what most everyone else is going to do when the federal government jacks the CAFE standards up and raises the price of ALL new cars.

If you haven't paid more yet for better mileage, I don't see where you can expect us to believe you will in the future.

You can pick up a 48+ mpg vehicle right now used for around $5K Z - you could have picked one up the last time you purchased a car as well. Volkswagen has been making a 45+ mpg vehicle since the late 1970's - and you have yet to purchase one. The second generation Saturn SLs had fuel economy of 40 mpg - and they were made in the late 1990's through early 2000's.

Bummer. What do you drive?

08 May 2012 19:32 #67 by Something the Dog Said

PrintSmith wrote:

I have a 1989 Honda CRX that gets 48 mpg and is fun to drive as well that I bought 4 years ago for $1000. Only downside is lack of airbags and cupholders.

"Remember to always be yourself. Unless you can be batman. Then always be batman." Unknown

08 May 2012 20:19 #68 by PrintSmith
I drive a Jetta TDI - one of the many models made by VW over the last 35 years that returns a combined fuel economy at or above 45 mpg in real world driving. I purchased it used 7 years ago and have put over 270K miles on it on addition to the 64K on the odometer at the time of purchase - and it does have cupholders and airbags, along with anti-lock brakes. I paid more than Dog did, but less than the cost of a 2012 base model Corolla that is rated at 13-15 mpg less than my Jetta gets with over 330K on the odometer. I'm already saving for the replacement engine for when this one dies rather than a down payment for another car. No hurry though - I figure it's good for another 150K or so before I need to worry about that. Plus it's a diesel - I can run it on kerosene, Jet A, biodiesel home jeating oil or even used auto transmission fluid when the Zombies come.

09 May 2012 08:21 #69 by Rick

archer wrote:

CritiKalbILL wrote:

archer wrote:

CritiKalbILL wrote:

Read it again bill....I told you what my opinion was based on,

So you believe that the average conservative like me must agree with everything SOME Republicans believe? Why do you believe that?

It was always the women, and above all the young ones, who were the most bigoted adherents of the Party, the swallowers of slogans, the amateur spies and nosers−out of unorthodoxy

George Orwell

09 May 2012 08:26 #70 by Martin Ent Inc
My RED gets 6 gallons to the 1/4 mile.

Time to create page: 0.194 seconds