Another CO shooting.

05 Jan 2013 18:25 #21 by ScienceChic
Replied by ScienceChic on topic Another CO shooting.

chickaree wrote: Someone else's bad behavior never excuses your own and if you can find an example of me descending to this sort of cynical dismissal of the personal tragedies of others then I will resign from this board out of pure self disgust. The way we speak to each other reflects the way we behave to each other. If this is the best we can do, how can we expect our politicians to do better?

LadyJazzer wrote: If the challenge is to "find someone on YOUR side that has done the same thing"...I thought you'd never ask:

No, chickaree asked for an example of him/her doing that. He/She is not responsible for how anyone else posts here. And they've got a good point - how we speak to each other reflects how we behave toward each other, it is a country-wide epidemic, and it's not going to solve our problems to point fingers at each other to justify our own sad choices. We need to improve our listening skills, and our debating skills, and learn to compromise if we are going to fix the myriad of issues we face.

"Now, more than ever, the illusions of division threaten our very existence. We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another as if we were one single tribe.” -King T'Challa, Black Panther

The truth is incontrovertible. Malice may attack it. ignorance may deride it, but in the end, there it is. ~Winston Churchill

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

05 Jan 2013 18:41 - 05 Jan 2013 21:41 #22 by WarrenK
Replied by WarrenK on topic Another CO shooting.
For those of you struggling to make sense of this, especially those in Aurora, I submit:

http://www.hopehelpnow.com/

-also-
Jesus Cares for Aurora (and everyone else too):
http://www.calvaryaurora.org/reachcoloradogrief

As Water Reflects A Face, So The Heart Reflects The Person
Proverbs 27:19

05 Jan 2013 18:51 #23 by chickaree
Replied by chickaree on topic Another CO shooting.
Exactly, Science Chic. If you look Ladyjazzer, I think you will find that I call out bad behavior as often on "my" side as on "yours". In truth, my side is the American side, the human side. Hating the other "side" is foolish as we are all ultimately on the same side.

05 Jan 2013 19:29 #24 by CinnamonGirl
Replied by CinnamonGirl on topic Another CO shooting.
I know you were being sarcastic LJ but these are the faces of people affected by these shootings. As soon as we forget that people are crying (reports are that the people who died are the mother, sister and boyfriend of the woman who escaped) over these people who died. Part of the problem is we are allowing ourselves to objectify people and not let ourselves see that these are real people. Even if you are making a point.

http://www.mercurynews.com/nation-world/ci_22317237

05 Jan 2013 19:37 #25 by chickaree
Replied by chickaree on topic Another CO shooting.
What I have to wonder is why, as tragic as this is, is it national news? If this happened in Wichita, we would never have heard of it. We are being manipulated. Again.

05 Jan 2013 20:23 #26 by FOS
Replied by FOS on topic Another CO shooting.
another nice read

05 Jan 2013 20:48 #27 by LadyJazzer
Replied by LadyJazzer on topic Another CO shooting.

Science Chic wrote:

chickaree wrote: Someone else's bad behavior never excuses your own and if you can find an example of me descending to this sort of cynical dismissal of the personal tragedies of others then I will resign from this board out of pure self disgust. The way we speak to each other reflects the way we behave to each other. If this is the best we can do, how can we expect our politicians to do better?

LadyJazzer wrote: If the challenge is to "find someone on YOUR side that has done the same thing"...I thought you'd never ask:

No, chickaree asked for an example of him/her doing that. He/She is not responsible for how anyone else posts here. And they've got a good point - how we speak to each other reflects how we behave toward each other, it is a country-wide epidemic, and it's not going to solve our problems to point fingers at each other to justify our own sad choices. We need to improve our listening skills, and our debating skills, and learn to compromise if we are going to fix the myriad of issues we face.

Since I did not accuse chickaree of anything, I have no obligation to go searching for an example of him/her doing anything. I'm not going to get into the mode of trying to differentiate between "global" "YOU", and "specific" "YOU" every time "YOU" is used in a sentence... I made it clear that I was NOT going to be the one to post about this most recent slaughter-fest in Aurora because it would do no good. I also indicated that as mass-murders/slaughters go, FIVE wouldn't rate much of a nod when we're seeing 12 and 26 at a time. I stand by those statements, and if someone wishes to take offense, .... GOOD... It was meant to offend, because I'm sick of mass-murders-with-guns taking place and having nothing to show for it but more NRA bullcrap about "guns don't kill people..." Actually, yes, guns make it a mass-action, and enable the assembly-line efficiency of it.

05 Jan 2013 22:18 #28 by Nobody that matters

LadyJazzer wrote: Since I did not accuse chickaree of anything, I have no obligation to go searching for an example of him/her doing anything. I'm not going to get into the mode of trying to differentiate between "global" "YOU", and "specific" "YOU" every time "YOU" is used in a sentence... I made it clear that I was NOT going to be the one to post about this most recent slaughter-fest in Aurora because it would do no good. I also indicated that as mass-murders/slaughters go, FIVE wouldn't rate much of a nod when we're seeing 12 and 26 at a time. I stand by those statements, and if someone wishes to take offense, .... GOOD... It was meant to offend, because I'm sick of mass-murders-with-guns taking place and having nothing to show for it but more NRA bullcrap about "guns don't kill people..." Actually, yes, guns make it a mass-action, and enable the assembly-line efficiency of it.

But if it wasn't a big evil black rifle, your push for gun bans would have done nothing to help prevent this.

Or are you advocating banning all guns?

"Whatever you are, be a good one." ~ Abraham Lincoln

05 Jan 2013 22:23 #29 by LadyJazzer
Replied by LadyJazzer on topic Another CO shooting.

Science Chic wrote:

05 Jan 2013 22:36 #30 by Nobody that matters
Sensible gun laws don't outlaw specific guns, they only control how those guns are used.

Or in a traffic analogy, you are advocating outlawing all low slung black sports cars with automatic transmissions, regardless of how they're driven, they look fast, they can go fast, so they must be made illegal.

Then along comes a guy like the one in aurora that runs over three people while he's driving a purple Ford Taurus.

"Whatever you are, be a good one." ~ Abraham Lincoln

Time to create page: 0.148 seconds