Ballot Proposal To Overturn Magazine Limits?

14 Mar 2013 21:20 #51 by gmule

archer wrote: Haven't the polls shown that the majority of Coloradans support these measures?

Have you been asked by a pollster what your position is on these bills?
I have not been asked. Actually I don't know anyone that has been polled on these bills. I am sure that if you took a poll only in Denver it would have very different results from people who live in places like Grand Junction or Durango yet if these bills become law they will effect everyone in the state regardless of what those other communities want.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

14 Mar 2013 21:22 #52 by Something the Dog Said

RenegadeCJ wrote:

archer wrote: Haven't the polls shown that the majority of Coloradans support these measures?

Nope, the push polls have shown whatever the pollster wants to see, but the independent ones have shown a split. The magazine limit one only polls between 35-50%. A couple of the other ones do poll in the 70% range.

What "independent" polls would those be?

"Remember to always be yourself. Unless you can be batman. Then always be batman." Unknown

14 Mar 2013 23:44 #53 by PrintSmith

Something the Dog Said wrote: Yet another attempt to deflect by Printsmith. Am I not correct in my interpretation of the Colorado Constitution? Is not everything that I posted above correct? Yes. Is there any ballot proposal being offered to amend the State Constitution to change Article V, section 3? No. Is the current ballot proposal that is the topic of this thread totally irrelevant and an exercise in futility based on the Colorado Constitution? Yes. Does it contain language to amend Article V, section 3 of the Colorado Constitution? No. Is the Easter Bunny preparing to hop around Printsmith's backyard? I don't know. That is a topic that could be debated, because according to the Colorado Constitution, the topic of this thread is dead.

Yes, you correctly copied and pasted the text from the Colorado Constitution and no, everything else you posted, as per usual, is incorrect. According to the article in the Denver Post referenced in the OP, Misters LeVier and Davis have indeed submitted a legislative proposal to the Colorado Legislative Council to put a constitutional amendment on the ballot to overturn the actions of the General Assembly. As what is being proposed is not a referendum on the bill which the legislature has passed, but rather a seperate piece of legislation altogether initiated by the citizens of Colorado (Section 1 (1) of Article V that you provided earlier), Secion 1(3) of Article V is not applicable. There is certainly work yet to be done to get it on the ballot in 2014, but if it makes it to the ballot and it is approved by the voters as either a citizen initiated law or a citizen initiated constitutional amendment it will have the effect of undoing what the current General Assembly is attempting to do.

No one is proposing that Artice V be amended, nor is anyone proposing a referendum on the actions of the General Assembly that would fall under Section 1 (3) of that particular article. Instead, what is being proposed is an entirely new piece of legislation, initiated by the citizens, which falls under Section 1(1) of Article V, specifically a constitutional amendment which would keep any future General Assembly from having the ability to ever propose such a measure themselves again. The language of HB 13-1224 may well prevent a referendum on that piece of legislation, but it has no ability to prevent new legislation from overturning it.

15 Mar 2013 00:09 #54 by LadyJazzer
I just love right-wing denial... I could sit and watch it for hours....

15 Mar 2013 06:52 #55 by PrintSmith
If you believe my logic flawed SFB, you may certainly attempt to show how it is flawed. But then, that would be the normal response from a normal person and is not to be expected from one who regularly shows that they are incapable of reasoned discourse.

15 Mar 2013 06:56 #56 by Nobody that matters
The ballot proposal protects public safety, it doesn't violate it. The public is much safer when allowed to own the tools to defend themselves.

"Whatever you are, be a good one." ~ Abraham Lincoln

15 Mar 2013 07:39 #57 by FredHayek
The Denver Post is letting you vote on a poll today if you would support the new pro-magazine ballot measure. Last I saw it is winning by 80%. If it passes, would Magpul move back?

Thomas Sowell: There are no solutions, just trade-offs.

15 Mar 2013 07:42 #58 by RenegadeCJ

Something the Dog Said wrote:

RenegadeCJ wrote:

Nope, the push polls have shown whatever the pollster wants to see, but the independent ones have shown a split. The magazine limit one only polls between 35-50%. A couple of the other ones do poll in the 70% range.

What "independent" polls would those be?

I don't know exactly...I heard them on the radio. They basically listed the results from 5 or 6 different polls, and they had quite a range.

My point would be, with something as important as this, it should be left up to the people. A ballot measure makes a lot of sense. Even those of you who want to take away guns, and think you have the majority to do so, should agree.

Too bad future generations aren't here to see all the great things we are spending their $$ on!!

15 Mar 2013 07:59 #59 by FOS
I suspect Magpul is gone forever.

15 Mar 2013 08:02 #60 by FOS
Do you have a link Fred. I would like to vote

Time to create page: 0.151 seconds