State Senator Evie Hudak faces recall petition

13 Apr 2013 08:02 #11 by FOS
A few malcontents?
Interesting you would call approximately 25,000 law abiding citizens malcontents.
The divide grows.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

13 Apr 2013 11:17 #12 by archer
With the fire district recall they had just over 400 signatures, yeah that's small. 25000....how does that compare to the entire voter base? Of course they are malcontents...... Unwilling to wait until the next election cycle to voice their disagreement..... Its the new way of politics now..... Wah, wah, wah..... We didn't get our way so we are going to spend a lot of money to punish the duly elected official and the community. It's your right, so have at it.

13 Apr 2013 11:25 #13 by FOS
I believe it is 25% of the last voter turn out.

13 Apr 2013 17:45 #14 by Rick

archer wrote: With the fire district recall they had just over 400 signatures, yeah that's small. 25000....how does that compare to the entire voter base? Of course they are malcontents...... Unwilling to wait until the next election cycle to voice their disagreement..... Its the new way of politics now..... Wah, wah, wah..... We didn't get our way so we are going to spend a lot of money to punish the duly elected official and the community. It's your right, so have at it.

Your tune has changed since Wisconsin I see.

It was always the women, and above all the young ones, who were the most bigoted adherents of the Party, the swallowers of slogans, the amateur spies and nosers−out of unorthodoxy

George Orwell

13 Apr 2013 18:02 #15 by SandyD
I am happy to let the Gov wait till 2014 and vote him out.

13 Apr 2013 18:07 #16 by archer

Rick wrote:

archer wrote: With the fire district recall they had just over 400 signatures, yeah that's small. 25000....how does that compare to the entire voter base? Of course they are malcontents...... Unwilling to wait until the next election cycle to voice their disagreement..... Its the new way of politics now..... Wah, wah, wah..... We didn't get our way so we are going to spend a lot of money to punish the duly elected official and the community. It's your right, so have at it.

Your tune has changed since Wisconsin I see.

Of course it has....having seen how difficult it was to get someone out of office when that person had such a vast number of voters angry over multiple issues..... A recall over a single issue, gun laws, which polls show most voters approve of the limited restrictions imposed should be even more difficult.

The Evergreen recall bunch represent an even smaller portion of the electorate..... Those who live within a stones throw off the burn building.

14 Apr 2013 10:03 #17 by Arlen

LadyJazzer wrote: Y'know there are laws against murder too...And it doesn't keep it from happening.

There are laws against speeding, and DWI/DUI...It doesn't keep it from happening.

There are laws against writing bad checks, and rape, and stock fraud, and bank-fraud, and a lot of other things...It doesn't keep it from happening.

"It doesn't keep it from happening" is a crap reason NOT to pass the laws... Unless, of course, you think we should take laws prohibiting murder, rape, bad checks, speeding, DUI, bank fraud, etc., off the books, since "it doesn't stop it from happening." I just love this kind of stupidity...I could sit and watch it for hours.

I want to see laws on universal background checks; magazine limits; confiscation of guns from domestic-violence/abuser cretins; assault weapons, and hopefully, a registration database someday. "It doesn't keep it from happening..." Yeah, I know. But neither do laws about murder. But it's a start.

We need to make background checks mandatory even though we aren't enforcing the current laws against illegal and straw purchases right now.

And, yes....We DO "need to make background checks mandatory". And every time the background check turns up someone who SHOULDN'T be allowed to purchase a weapon, that's one less wacko out there running around with one. And we obviously aren't "enforcing" laws every minute against murder (because people still get murdered); and against armed robbery (because armed robberies are still happening); and bad-check passing (because people still pass bad checks)...And NONE of that means that we shouldn't enforce background checks... Conservative Pretzel Logic....Imagine my surprise....

The porpose for the laws against "universal" crimes is to establish punishment. It is not purpose of these laws to establish the concept of an action to be unlawful. It is also not the purpose of these "universal" laws to prevent the crime.

LJ, you need to educate yourself concerning the concepts of social contracts.

14 Apr 2013 10:06 #18 by LadyJazzer
Thanks for making my point for me. There's hope you may understand yet... And save your "educate yourself" snark for someone who cares.

And passing laws to prevent wackos from getting guns, and limits on magazine capacities may not stop MURDERS...But it might slow them down...And it allows prosecution when those laws are violated.

14 Apr 2013 10:20 #19 by Arlen
But you forget, LJ, that the framers of these gun laws claim that they will prevent crimes. The pro gun argument is that they will NOT prevent crime. Wackos will not obey the laws and you know it.

THANKS FOR MAKING MY POINT.

14 Apr 2013 10:24 #20 by LadyJazzer
They have, and they do... And you can't possibly imagine how much I don't care what the Pro-Gun lobby says about it...

Gov. Hickenlooper cites stats showing 'stupid' criminals are caught by gun background checks
Gov: Convicted killers, rapists try beating checks

DENVER - Gov. John Hickenlooper unleashed a barrage of jaw-dropping numbers for critics who often tell him, “Criminals aren’t stupid, they’re not going to sign up for (gun) background checks.”

“Well, no one told the criminals that, and it turns out that many criminals are stupid," Hickenlooper said Wednesday after signing legislation requiring universal background checks for gun purchases.

In 2012, he said, background checks prevented 5,000 gun purchases out of more than 320,000 applications.

Of those blocked gun sales, Hickenlooper said:

- 38 were individuals either accused or convicted of homicide.

- 133 were people accused or convicted of sexual assault.

- 600 were people accused or convicted of burglary.

- Over 1,000 were people accused or convicted of felony assault.

- “400 individuals had restraining orders against them from a court and were trying to buy a gun.”

“Indeed, if you want any proof positive that criminals are not as smart as some people give them credit for, 236 individuals when they showed up to pick up their newly purchased gun, we arrested them because there were outstanding arrest warrants for them,” the governor said.

http://www.thedenverchannel.com/news/lo ... und-checks

Wow... 236 MORONS were arrested when they came back to pick up their guns!... Who knew?!?! (Obviously not the RMGO and the NRA in Colorado.)

Have a day...

Time to create page: 0.169 seconds