Climate Change has no link to tornado's - OK. or anyplace

21 May 2013 12:00 #11 by Reverend Revelant

Whatevergreen wrote: I think if I had to re-build in OK, I would work a basement into my budget. There is planning for what might never come and there is planning for what is likely to happen.

Generally... it's most restrictive and ghastly costly...

The answer is largely due to three reasons: area building codes, the amount of water in the soil here, and the generally high level of the water table, according to reporting done back in 2011 by MSNBC.

As one commentator described it on the Prepared Society message boards, Oklahoma is a land of "clay soil and high water table."

Home buyers from other parts of the country have also described how difficult their search has been to find a home with a basement on the message boards of Trulia, the real estate website. "While searching for a house in Oklahoma City area for the past year, I think I found only 3 or so houses with basements," one poster wrote.

http://www.wunderground.com/news/why-do ... s-20130521

It's the same with Texas... although for slightly different reasons.

And there has been basements and storm shelters built in recent years... just not everywhere in Oklahoma...

Even so, the horror has already sparked calls for changes in Oklahoma schools.

While Plaza Towers Elementary apparently did have a basement, it did not have a storm shelter.

"Most of the schools in Oklahoma don't have one" because of the cost, Moore Mayor Glenn Lewis told CNN. But he said he's sure that will change now.
Schools that rebuilt after a massive tornado in 1999 do have storm shelters, he said.

Oklahoma state Rep. Mark McBride called for legislation next year. "The children are sacred. We need to protect these kids," he said.

The state is so used to having tornadoes that people "get lax" and think "it's not a big deal," he said.

Now, McBride added, "it's got to change."

http://www.cnn.com/2013/05/21/us/oklaho ... do-school/

By the way... have you ever been through a tornado. I've had the pleasure twice... it's a ride (and sound) you'll never forget.

Waiting for Armageddon since 33 AD

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

21 May 2013 12:04 #12 by OmniScience

The Liberals GOP Twin wrote: So... no... I can't see spending global economy breaking amounts of money on something we have little effect on, along with numerous other players who will not play along, combined with the moving targets I've seen from sources like the IPCC... just to attempt "godlike" schemes to avoid what some think are natural planetary cycles.

Its all about money and control, Twin. Someday, I hope that SC and others who live in fear of CO2 will open their eyes to what it's all about.

http://www.reuters.com/article/2013/04/27/us-carbon-eon-idUSBRE93Q08N20130427

The European Parliament on April 16 rejected a Commission proposal to temporarily remove some of the oversupply that has overwhelmed the $148 billion market for permits to emit carbon dioxide, sending the market to a record low and raising questions about its survival.

$148 billion, and I still ask, what has it accomplished?

21 May 2013 12:04 #13 by Blazer Bob

21 May 2013 12:16 #14 by archer
We lived in northern Texas with that same soil, the cost to put in a basement far exceeds the cost of a house. The water logged ground can pop a basement from the ground just as it will an inground pool if it is not kept filled. Our neighborhood elementary school had a tornado shelter and that is where we would go if storms warranted it.

21 May 2013 12:48 #15 by FredHayek
And vice versa, if the soil gets too dry and retracts, you can have your basement walls seperate.

Thomas Sowell: There are no solutions, just trade-offs.

21 May 2013 13:05 #16 by archer
So true... We had a brick home with wing walls on the front.... One day they would be lined up nicely, a week later they would be a foot or more away as the ground shrunk from the house

21 May 2013 13:14 #17 by Nobody that matters
It looks like the latest answer is to design safe rooms that are too heavy to be moved by the winds, and have ballistic resistant walls and ceilings.

"Whatever you are, be a good one." ~ Abraham Lincoln

21 May 2013 14:51 #18 by hillfarmer
For once we agree. Reputable science does not see a link between tornados and climate change. There was an even more fierce F5 in Oklahoma over a decade ago. I appreciate you willingness to use real science for a change...but I won't hold my breath hoping that will continue. I am sure that the next post or the following one will deny climate change. Fortunately, more and more people are forsaking their ideologically tinted glasses in favor of recognizing the real danger climate change represents. Tornados may not be one of the consequences, but others abound.

21 May 2013 15:01 #19 by Reverend Revelant

hillfarmer wrote: For once we agree. Reputable science does not see a link between tornados and climate change. There was an even more fierce F5 in Oklahoma over a decade ago. I appreciate you willingness to use real science for a change...but I won't hold my breath hoping that will continue. I am sure that the next post or the following one will deny climate change. Fortunately, more and more people are forsaking their ideologically tinted glasses in favor of recognizing the real danger climate change represents. Tornados may not be one of the consequences, but others abound.

Oh... whoopee... I have Hill Farmer's permission to be right this time. Pompous jerk.

Waiting for Armageddon since 33 AD

21 May 2013 15:09 #20 by FredHayek

hillfarmer wrote: For once we agree. Reputable science does not see a link between tornados and climate change. There was an even more fierce F5 in Oklahoma over a decade ago. I appreciate you willingness to use real science for a change...but I won't hold my breath hoping that will continue. I am sure that the next post or the following one will deny climate change. Fortunately, more and more people are forsaking their ideologically tinted glasses in favor of recognizing the real danger climate change represents. Tornados may not be one of the consequences, but others abound.

Since you believe in man-made global climate change, how would you solve it? Restrict emissions from the US when most of the serious pollution comes from China India, and other developing countries who get to ignore Kyoto?
So hamstring America's already sick economy?
Banning imports from international polluters, including raw materials for our industries?
Just buy carbon credits like Al Gore, pay to pollute essentially, knowing that most of the carbon credits are benefiting the polluting industries.

Thomas Sowell: There are no solutions, just trade-offs.

Time to create page: 0.169 seconds