Climate Change has no link to tornado's - OK. or anyplace

21 May 2013 10:28 #1 by Reverend Revelant
Here's a little more of the left Oklahoma tornado's deaths and destruction into politics... before all the bodies are found and before the dead is in the grave...

As emergency responders in Oklahoma work through the night tending to those whose lives have been shattered by Monday’s deadly tornadoes, a few individuals have seized on today’s tragedy as an opportunity to take shots at Republican lawmakers.

Democrat Senator Sheldon Whitehouse, for example, while attacking the GOP on Monday for being “anti-science” and for being the party of “climate deniers” worked the Oklahoma tornadoes into his speech. [/b][/i]

“So, you may have a question for me,” the senator said. “Why do you care? Why do you, Sheldon Whitehouse, Democrat of Rhode Island, care if we Republicans run off the climate cliff like a bunch of proverbial lemmings and disgrace ourselves?”

He continued:

I’ll tell you why. We’re stuck in this together. We are stuck in this together. When cyclones tear up Oklahoma and hurricanes swamp Alabama and wildfires scorch Texas, you come to us, the rest of the country, for billions of dollars to recover.

And the damage that your polluters and deniers are doing doesn’t just hit Oklahoma and Alabama and Texas. It hits Rhode Island with floods and storms. It hits Oregon with acidified seas, it hits Montana with dying forests.

“So, like it or not, we’re in this together,” he added. “You drag America with you to your fate”:

Don't believe me? Go see the video http://www.theblaze.com/stories/2013/05 ... te-change/

Now... a little sanity is due here...

Dr. Marshall Shepherd, the president of the American Meteorological Society and someone who is not shy about taking on climate skeptics, put it this way in a tweet: Climate change is real issue but can we not dilute the issue with that right now. No links to tornadoes.

http://science.time.com/2013/05/21/tornado/

Typical of the left... turning tragedy into political points... we see it here at 285 Bound and we see it nationally.

Waiting for Armageddon since 33 AD

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

21 May 2013 10:37 #2 by archer
Are you trying to rival LJ by starting a thread of your own? Only you found a democratic senator to base your thread on. There goes all your righteous indignation over LJ's thread.

21 May 2013 10:38 #3 by Reverend Revelant

archer wrote: Are you trying to rival LJ by starting a thread of your own? Only you found a democratic senator to base your thread on. There goes all your righteous indignation over LJ's thread.

Yep... now let's see if you'll not criticize me... just like you didn't criticize Lady Jazzer... oops... you already did criticize me... you lose. :rofllol

Climate change doesn't cause tornado's.

21 May 2013 10:46 #4 by ScienceChic
Typical of the right too. And while he's incorrect about the tornadoes (which I'd already agreed with you about, as did The grist and Huffington Post, so why the continued outrage?), he's spot on about the rest.

We use Sonos here at the house and hubby turned on something that sounded like NPR this past weekend that wasn't, and it was a representative from the local water company discussing water restrictions and what that means exactly for homeowners - use, violations, etc. This person was stating that there was a Stage 2 drought in effect which meant watering only once a week for 20 minutes max on a specified day based on the last digit of your house number, and he mentioned that last year was the 1st time they'd reached Stage 2 drought conditions since implementing them. He also said that if they didn't get rain at least once a week for the rest of the summer, it was likely that they'd reach Stage 3 drought level by the end of this summer or beginning of next, and that meant watering only once every other week.

I asked hubby if that was a CO station (as he's fond of finding eclectic stations from around the world, Polish polka, German pop, and TX old-time country being his faves), and found out that it was a TX station. I'd thought so, b/c our Denver water notice didn't have those restrictions listed.

So, when crops fail and summer fires burn extensively, how are we going to pay for this TLGT? Our good looks and charm? Sadly, we're using up our credit over-borrowing and we Americans are the biggest wasters of energy and food, so what's your solution?

Hurricane Sandy absolutely was influenced by climate change, we had 19 storms last year that rated naming - the trend is that they are becoming more frequent and stronger - yet we keep throwing billions to rebuild in the same coastal spots that are at high-risk of flooding again. And we taxpayers are required to pay for that - there's no forcing homeowners who choose to remain to pay for the risk themselves and remove us from that responsibility, it's law. So yes, we are being dragged down and it will eventually bankrupt us unless we start drastically reducing our GHG emissions and curbing our fossil fuel use - something none of our reps have the stomach for b/c it means going up against the most wealthy and powerful lobbyists and corporations who can pay enough to cost them their seat for the next yes-man. So what's your solution? Keep denying global warming? Yeah, that'll work...

"Now, more than ever, the illusions of division threaten our very existence. We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another as if we were one single tribe.” -King T'Challa, Black Panther

The truth is incontrovertible. Malice may attack it. ignorance may deride it, but in the end, there it is. ~Winston Churchill

21 May 2013 11:06 #5 by Reverend Revelant

Science Chic wrote: Typical of the right too. And while he's incorrect about the tornadoes (which I'd already agreed with you about, as did The grist and Huffington Post, so why the continued outrage?), he's spot on about the rest.

We use Sonos here at the house and hubby turned on something that sounded like NPR this past weekend that wasn't, and it was a representative from the local water company discussing water restrictions and what that means exactly for homeowners - use, violations, etc. This person was stating that there was a Stage 2 drought in effect which meant watering only once a week for 20 minutes max on a specified day based on the last digit of your house number, and he mentioned that last year was the 1st time they'd reached Stage 2 drought conditions since implementing them. He also said that if they didn't get rain at least once a week for the rest of the summer, it was likely that they'd reach Stage 3 drought level by the end of this summer or beginning of next, and that meant watering only once every other week.

I asked hubby if that was a CO station (as he's fond of finding eclectic stations from around the world, Polish polka, German pop, and TX old-time country being his faves), and found out that it was a TX station. I'd thought so, b/c our Denver water notice didn't have those restrictions listed.

So, when crops fail and summer fires burn extensively, how are we going to pay for this TLGT? Our good looks and charm? Sadly, we're using up our credit over-borrowing and we Americans are the biggest wasters of energy and food, so what's your solution?

Hurricane Sandy absolutely was influenced by climate change, we had 19 storms last year that rated naming - the trend is that they are becoming more frequent and stronger - yet we keep throwing billions to rebuild in the same coastal spots that are at high-risk of flooding again. And we taxpayers are required to pay for that - there's no forcing homeowners who choose to remain to pay for the risk themselves and remove us from that responsibility, it's law. So yes, we are being dragged down and it will eventually bankrupt us unless we start drastically reducing our GHG emissions and curbing our fossil fuel use - something none of our reps have the stomach for b/c it means going up against the most wealthy and powerful lobbyists and corporations who can pay enough to cost them their seat for the next yes-man. So what's your solution? Keep denying global warming? Yeah, that'll work...

My topic was on tornado's and climate change... he may have been wrong but the congresscritter knew that by bringing up the tornado's and placing them in a climate change context... the low-information left will simply have another piece of meat to chew on... especially bringing it up in conjunction with the death and destruction in Oklahoma. But that's what "feeling" lefties do... don't they?

And as an aside... I was playing partisan politics on the coattails of the death and destruction in Oklahoma myself... this forum has a general tenor about it... and be it far from me to go against the flow here... :sarcasm:

21 May 2013 11:18 #6 by Reverend Revelant

Science Chic wrote: Typical of the right too. And while he's incorrect about the tornadoes (which I'd already agreed with you about, as did The grist and Huffington Post, so why the continued outrage?), he's spot on about the rest.

Oh... and if you want me to go off topic... quick answer to your question... ain't gonna happen... not on any "billions and billions will die" sort of apocalyptic scale. And you know for a fact that the "climate change" (I'll go with the current aphorism for now... I better... it will change fast enough) guessing-model-maybe-missing-holes-psychic-data has already been adjusted (in only 10 years... my).

So... no... I can't see spending global economy breaking amounts of money on something we have little effect on, along with numerous other players who will not play along, combined with the moving targets I've seen from sources like the IPCC... just to attempt "godlike" schemes to avoid what some think are natural planetary cycles.

You don't have the data points to see far enough out and far enough past to make the kind of global decisions you are calling for.

21 May 2013 11:42 #7 by Nobody that matters
I wish they would declare schools "Tornado free zones". Think of all the lives that could have been saved.

"Whatever you are, be a good one." ~ Abraham Lincoln

21 May 2013 11:51 #8 by Whatevergreen
I think if I had to re-build in OK, I would work a basement into my budget. There is planning for what might never come and there is planning for what is likely to happen.

21 May 2013 11:53 #9 by Nobody that matters

Whatevergreen wrote: I think if I had to re-build in OK, I would work a basement into my budget. There is planning for what might never come and there is planning for what is likely to happen.

I've heard the clay soil is problematic for underground construction. I meant to find out more, just out of curiosity, but I haven't had a chance yet.

"Whatever you are, be a good one." ~ Abraham Lincoln

21 May 2013 11:58 #10 by FredHayek
In high water table areas, building a basement only means you now have an underground pool. What some people in these areas are starting to do is build berms or hills on their property and turning them into above ground storm shelters. Or putting intermodal containers on the property and putting dirt berms around them. Works for those with large areas.

Thomas Sowell: There are no solutions, just trade-offs.

Time to create page: 0.158 seconds