Climate Change has no link to tornado's - OK. or anyplace

22 May 2013 11:15 #41 by Something the Dog Said

The Liberals GOP Twin wrote:

Something the Dog Said wrote:

Something the Dog Said wrote: Thanks, that cut and paste supported my position that climate change, while not necessarily changing the frequency of weather conditions, does affect the ferocity of those conditions through the increased energy.

English is evidently not your first language... the statement was simple... Neither the time series of thermodynamic nor dynamic variables suggests the presence of a discernible trend for April conditions during the last 30 years; any small trend that may exist would be statistically insignificant relative to the intensity of yearly fluctuations. [/b][/i]

There... I made it BIGGER for you.

The blog from which you did your cut and paste job stated that there is not sufficient long term data to draw conclusions, it did not state that there are no links between tornadic activity and climate change. I get that you seldom actually read your cut and paste jobs, but you really should.

Then I'll leave it up to the educated 285 Bound members to follow my links and make sense of what you claim I don't understand. Thanks for your help. Just because you say I don't understand doesn't make it true.

I did not make that statement. I do not know if you understand or not. I don't think you even make an effort to understand. If you actually read your linked references, they do not state that there is no link between climate change and tornadoes, they state they do not have sufficient evidence to determine whether there is any link. On the other hand, the reference that I provided cited climate research scientists who provide the common sense explanation that the warmer and more moist air from the Gulf will increase the ferocity of the activity.

"Remember to always be yourself. Unless you can be batman. Then always be batman." Unknown

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

22 May 2013 11:29 #42 by Reverend Revelant

Something the Dog Said wrote: I do not know if you understand or not. I don't think you even make an effort to understand. If you actually read your linked references, they do not state that there is no link between climate change and tornadoes, they state they do not have sufficient evidence to determine whether there is any link. On the other hand, the reference that I provided cited climate research scientists who provide the common sense explanation that the warmer and more moist air from the Gulf will increase the ferocity of the activity.

Common sense does not have much to do with science, although you would like it to... it's sort of like "feelings." The position that "scientists who provide the common sense explanation that the warmer and more moist air from the Gulf will increase the ferocity of the activity" is not decided and your use of the term "common sense" does not settle the debate.

http://www.technologyreview.com/view/42 ... te-change/

Warmer temperatures and more moisture will give storm systems that much more energy to play with, like adding nitroglycerin to the atmosphere. This month’s possibly record-breaking tornadoes are due in part to an unusually warm Gulf of Mexico, where as Freedman reports, water surface temperatures are 1 to 2.5 C above the norm. The Gulf feeds moisture northward to storm systems as they move across the country, and that warm moist air from the south meeting cool, dry air from the Plains often results in some powerful weather. But at the same time, other studies have forecast that warmer temperatures will reduce the wind shear necessary to turn a routine thunderstorm into a powerful system that can give birth to tornadoes. So in a hotter world we could see more frequent destructive thunderstorms, but fewer tornadoes—although some researchers think we could still end up with both.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/cap ... _blog.html

So my thread title "Climate Change has no link to tornadoes" has been suggested by climate scientists. And in those links above, there is still a healthy debate going on as to whether that proposition is settled. Saying that "scientists who provide the common sense" is not a "period" on the issue and has no bearing to the numerous positions that one can find from various sources.

I'll stick by the scientist who indicate that "Climate Change has no link to tornadoes."

(P.S. I spelt the plural of "tornado" wrong in the title, I've corrected that in the body of this comment.)

Waiting for Armageddon since 33 AD

22 May 2013 15:12 #43 by Nobody that matters

The Liberals GOP Twin wrote: (P.S. I spelt the plural of "tornado" wrong in the title, I've corrected that in the body of this comment.)

Psst.... It's 'spelled', not 'spelt'.

:biggrin:

"Whatever you are, be a good one." ~ Abraham Lincoln

22 May 2013 15:34 #44 by Something the Dog Said

Something the Dog Said wrote: I do not know if you understand or not. I don't think you even make an effort to understand. If you actually read your linked references, they do not state that there is no link between climate change and tornadoes, they state they do not have sufficient evidence to determine whether there is any link. On the other hand, the reference that I provided cited climate research scientists who provide the common sense explanation that the warmer and more moist air from the Gulf will increase the ferocity of the activity.

Common sense does not have much to do with science, although you would like it to... it's sort of like "feelings." The position that "scientists who provide the common sense explanation that the warmer and more moist air from the Gulf will increase the ferocity of the activity" is not decided and your use of the term "common sense" does not settle the debate.

Warmer temperatures and more moisture will give storm systems that much more energy to play with, like adding nitroglycerin to the atmosphere. This month’s possibly record-breaking tornadoes are due in part to an unusually warm Gulf of Mexico, where as Freedman reports, water surface temperatures are 1 to 2.5 C above the norm. The Gulf feeds moisture northward to storm systems as they move across the country, and that warm moist air from the south meeting cool, dry air from the Plains often results in some powerful weather. But at the same time, other studies have forecast that warmer temperatures will reduce the wind shear necessary to turn a routine thunderstorm into a powerful system that can give birth to tornadoes. So in a hotter world we could see more frequent destructive thunderstorms, but fewer tornadoes—although some researchers think we could still end up with both.

So my thread title "Climate Change has no link to tornadoes" has been suggested by climate scientists. And in those links above, there is still a healthy debate going on as to whether that proposition is settled. Saying that "scientists who provide the common sense" is not a "period" on the issue and has no bearing to the numerous positions that one can find from various sources.

I'll stick by the scientist who indicate that "Climate Change has no link to tornadoes."

(P.S. I spelt the plural of "tornado" wrong in the title, I've corrected that in the body of this comment.)

Your cut and paste agrees with me 100%. Did you read it? Go back and read my posts. I stated that while climate change may not affect the frequency of tornadoes, it does increase the ferocity of the tornadoes due to the warmer moister air from the Gulf. Your cut and paste job agrees 100% with this statement. It does state that there is a link between tornadoes and climate change, that climate change is increasing the ferocity of the weather conditions. Thanks for once again proving my point for me.

(splet is a ancient form of wheat)

"Remember to always be yourself. Unless you can be batman. Then always be batman." Unknown

22 May 2013 15:45 #45 by Reverend Revelant

Nobody that matters wrote:

The Liberals GOP Twin wrote: (P.S. I spelt the plural of "tornado" wrong in the title, I've corrected that in the body of this comment.)

You were bitching about my humor... and when I try a little... you miss it.

Waiting for Armageddon since 33 AD

22 May 2013 15:59 #46 by jf1acai

Really? :biggrin:

Experience enables you to recognize a mistake when you make it again - Jeanne Pincha-Tulley

Comprehensive is Latin for there is lots of bad stuff in it - Trey Gowdy

22 May 2013 16:02 #47 by Mary Scott

Something the Dog Said wrote: (splet is a ancient form of wheat)

Ah, that's spelt. :biggrin:

22 May 2013 16:11 #48 by ScienceChic

Nobody that matters wrote:

www.thefreedictionary.com/spelt+out
spell 1 (spl)
v. spelled or spelt (splt), spell·ing, spells
v.tr.
1. To name or write in order the letters constituting (a word or part of a word).
2. To constitute the letters of (a word): These letters spell animal.
3. To add up to; signify: Their unwise investment could spell financial ruin.
v.intr.
To form words by means of letters.
Phrasal Verbs:
spell down
To defeat in a spelling bee.
spell out
1. To make explicit and clear: asked him to spell out his objectives.
2. To name or write in order the letters that constitute (a word or part of a word): spelled out my name.
[Middle English spellen, to read letter by letter, from Old French espeller, of Germanic origin.]

"Now, more than ever, the illusions of division threaten our very existence. We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another as if we were one single tribe.” -King T'Challa, Black Panther

The truth is incontrovertible. Malice may attack it. ignorance may deride it, but in the end, there it is. ~Winston Churchill

22 May 2013 16:12 #49 by Something the Dog Said

jf1acai wrote:

Really? :biggrin:

good catch, should have been spelt.

Time to create page: 0.153 seconds