NSA collecting records from millions of phones daily

14 Jun 2013 17:26 #151 by FredHayek
So you don't support Bradley Manning opening the lid on American secrets? I am torn myself. Too much is withheld from the American public.

Thomas Sowell: There are no solutions, just trade-offs.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

14 Jun 2013 17:49 #152 by homeagain
The WHOLE of the dirty, despicable and deceptive enchilada should be exposed...our government is corrupt and putrid and it's been
that way for a VERY long time.....corrupt can only be covered up for period of time....EVENTUALLY it all will be exposed and that is
what is happening over the last several years.....The truth will set you free, but FIRST it will make you angry......JMO

14 Jun 2013 20:01 - 15 Jun 2013 12:22 #153 by LadyJazzer

FredHayek wrote: So you don't support Bradley Manning opening the lid on American secrets? I am torn myself. Too much is withheld from the American public.

FredHayek wrote: Bradley Manning who outed many more agents is praised by you.

So, I'm still waiting for that source that he "outted covert agents". You let us know when you find that, y'hear?

14 Jun 2013 23:55 #154 by Blazer Bob

15 Jun 2013 11:57 #155 by LadyJazzer

The more things change, the more they stay the same:

1936 Inauguration Speech at Madison Square Garden (October 31, 1936)
Franklin Delano Roosevelt

For twelve years this Nation was afflicted with hear-nothing, see-nothing, do-nothing Government. The Nation looked to Government but the Government looked away. Nine mocking years with the golden calf and three long years of the scourge! Nine crazy years at the ticker and three long years in the breadlines! Nine mad years of mirage and three long years of despair! Powerful influences strive today to restore that kind of government with its doctrine that that Government is best which is most indifferent.

For nearly four years you have had an Administration which instead of twirling its thumbs has rolled up its sleeves. We will keep our sleeves rolled up.

We had to struggle with the old enemies of peace—business and financial monopoly, speculation, reckless banking, class antagonism, sectionalism, war profiteering.

They had begun to consider the Government of the United States as a mere appendage to their own affairs. We know now that Government by organized money is just as dangerous as Government by organized mob.

Never before in all our history have these forces been so united against one candidate as they stand today. They are unanimous in their hate for me—and I welcome their hatred.

http://millercenter.org/scripps/archive ... etail/3307

Interesting that he foresaw the teabaggers, their indifference, their worship of "business and financial monopoly, speculation, reckless banking, class antagonism, sectionalism, war profiteering" at the expense of the rest of America--77 years ago. "We know now that Government by organized money is just as dangerous as Government by organized mob."...The only difference is that NOW "organized money" IS "the mob"...They just use computers and phones instead of guns.

"I welcome your hatred"... Words to live by.

17 Jun 2013 19:48 #156 by Blazer Bob

18 Jun 2013 14:16 #157 by LadyJazzer
Sorry to see Bob is running out of anything relevant to post on the topic... Maybe it's showing up in the fact-free echo-chamber zone?

In the meantime:

NSA Can Listen to Calls Without Warrants
Posted: 17 Jun 2013 05:33 AM PDT

The National Security Agency has acknowledged in a new classified briefing that it does not need court authorization to listen to domestic phone calls, reports Declan McCullagh for CNET. Rep. Jerrold Nadler (D-N.Y.) disclosed this week that during a secret briefing to members of Congress, he was told that the contents of a phone call could be accessed "simply based on an analyst deciding that." If the NSA wants "to listen to the phone," an analyst's decision is sufficient, without any other legal authorization required, Nadler said he learned. "I was rather startled," said Nadler, an attorney and congressman who serves on the House Judiciary committee. Not only does this disclosure shed more light on how the NSA's formidable eavesdropping apparatus works domestically, it also suggests the Justice Department has secretly interpreted federal surveillance law to permit thousands of low-ranking analysts to eavesdrop on phone calls, CNET reports.

18 Jun 2013 14:19 #158 by FredHayek
Didn't the NSA original rules prevent it from spying domestically? Probably just a little mission creep, right?

18 Jun 2013 14:27 #159 by LadyJazzer
As has already been posted, the original NSA rules weren't "rules" because Bush had Alberto Gonzales visit Ashcroft in the hospital and try to get him to sign something that bypassed all those steenkin' 4th Amendment protections...

Right?

18 Jun 2013 15:00 #160 by FredHayek

LadyJazzer wrote: As has already been posted, the original NSA rules weren't "rules" because Bush had Alberto Gonzales visit Ashcroft in the hospital and try to get him to sign something that bypassed all those steenkin' 4th Amendment protections...

Right?

Agree. And Obama promised to stop this when he was running against McCain. Did he? Didn't it expand under AG Holder and him?

Time to create page: 0.309 seconds