NSA collecting records from millions of phones daily

10 Jun 2013 18:14 #101 by FredHayek
And how much is this "extra" security costing us? This Utah building looks more expensive than Coors Field.

Thomas Sowell: There are no solutions, just trade-offs.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

11 Jun 2013 06:43 - 11 Jun 2013 09:07 #102 by LadyJazzer

FredHayek wrote: And how much is this "extra" security costing us? This Utah building looks more expensive than Coors Field.

Probably less than what the TeaPublicans want to cut from food-stamp programs, and hot meals programs for seniors, and unemployment benefits for people who are still looking for work, rental assistance for disabled and poor, HeadStart programs, and energy assistance for elderly and poor in the winter...

See, for the Randroids, it all evens out.

11 Jun 2013 07:13 #103 by FredHayek
But at least we know what food stamps cost. Budget black boxes.

11 Jun 2013 09:09 - 11 Jun 2013 09:16 #104 by LadyJazzer

FredHayek wrote: But at least we know what food stamps cost. Budget black boxes.

Gee, you should have complained about that during the Bush administration when the budgets to build those black boxes were quietly pushed through--along with all of his illegal warrantless wiretapping/eavesdropping, two unpaid-for unnecessary wars, and all the rest. You don't really believe those black boxes suddenly sprang up in the last 4 years?

11 Jun 2013 09:15 - 11 Jun 2013 09:17 #105 by FredHayek
You keep forgetting I didn't support the invasion of Afghanistan nor Iraq. You are the one who remains in lock step with Obama.
And the Patriot Act started out only foreign calls, it was Team Obama who decided even domestic calls could be spyed on.

:memorial: Good to see you joining so many Republican congressman in supporting the loss of civil liberty. If Team Obama and Crybaby Boehner agree on something, it is time to get scared.

11 Jun 2013 09:16 #106 by LadyJazzer
I don't care if you personally did or not.

FredHayek wrote: it was Team Obama who decided even domestic calls could be spyed on.

Actually, it wasn't... That was already going on before Obama came into office...But thanks for playing...

11 Jun 2013 09:22 #107 by pineinthegrass

LadyJazzer wrote: Probably less than what the TeaPublicans want to cut from food-stamp programs, and hot meals programs for seniors, and unemployment benefits for people who are still looking for work, rental assistance for disabled and poor, HeadStart programs, and energy assistance for elderly and poor in the winter...

See, for the Randroids, it all evens out.

There you go supporting one of the biggest Big Oil/fossil fuel "subsides" out there. Not to mention contributing to global warming. Even Obama wanted to cut energy assistance funding... :splat:

Oil Subsidies that Liberals Love

So why do we still have fossil fuel subsidies? Because almost nobody — not even Bill McKibben — wants to get rid of all of the programs that are classified as fossil fuel subsidies. I suspect McKibben would not advocate eliminating the Low Income Home Energy Assistance Program. Two of the most outspoken Democratic opponents of oil subsidies have strongly defended this particular program — even though it is classified by the OECD as the 3rd largest petroleum subsidy. When Republicans tried to cut funding for the program, Sen. Chuck Schumer, D-N.Y., called the proposal an “extreme idea” that would “ set the country backwards.” Rep. Edward Markey, D-Mass, states on his website that he is a “longtime Congressional champion of providing assistance to low-income families to heat and cool their homes.”

In fact, look at the reaction from Democrats when President Obama tried to reduce funding for the program. Rep. Markey’s office said: “If these cuts are real, it would be a very disappointing development for millions of families still struggling through a harsh winter.” Sen. Jeanne Shaheen, D-N.H., noted her opposition: “The President’s reported proposal to drastically slash LIHEAP funds by more than half would have a severe impact on many of New Hampshire’s most vulnerable citizens and I strongly oppose it.” Sen. John Kerry, D-Mass., wrote a letter to President Obama that stated in part: “We simply cannot afford to cut LIHEAP funding during one of the most brutal winters in history. Families across Massachusetts, and the country, depend on these monies to heat their homes and survive the season.” Yet each one of these Democrats was defending a program that is lumped into that all-encompassing category of “oil subsidies.”

http://www.forbes.com/sites/energysource/2012/04/25/the-surprising-reason-that-oil-subsidies-persist-even-liberals-love-them/

11 Jun 2013 09:27 #108 by FredHayek

LadyJazzer wrote: I don't care if you personally did or not.

FredHayek wrote: it was Team Obama who decided even domestic calls could be spyed on.

Actually, it wasn't... That was already going on before Obama came into office...But thanks for playing...

So Obama is a Republicrat after all...your other lefty buddies like the NYT are done with defending him, but you will stand by his side forever...
heck, you probably loved that he made the IRS a tool for silencing the TEA Party...and think they should continue to spy on right wing groups.

11 Jun 2013 09:29 - 11 Jun 2013 10:18 #109 by LadyJazzer
About this NSA Spying?... I am absolutely NOT "standing by this"... I just wrote to both Colorado Senators and my congressmen this morning telling them that "THIS 'American People' is NOT willing to 'trade privacy for phony security.'"

Nice deflection, though... We can go off into the weeds about "energy assistance for the elderly" and whether or not you "supported the war"...(which I don't give a crap about)...instead of talking about your phony outrage about the cost of the "black boxes"... (Which is estimated to be in the $2 BILLION range for the Utah center...)

Yeah...Whatever ... :Snooze

11 Jun 2013 10:11 #110 by netdude
I do believe the leak by Snowden and all this publicity is going to start a groundswell of non-partisan support for ending this shite, IMHO. THe question is, will they push back or get wise and end it?

Time to create page: 0.305 seconds