NSA collecting records from millions of phones daily

08 Jun 2013 11:17 #71 by Wily Fox aka Angela

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

08 Jun 2013 15:41 #72 by Mtn Gramma

08 Jun 2013 20:21 #73 by Mary Scott

Mtn Gramma wrote:

Apparently not.

09 Jun 2013 08:34 #74 by PrintSmith

Wily Fox aka Angela wrote: agreed! we have to work hard to keep checks and balances. The cable "news" shows distract us into stupid arguments among ourselves (they have to hype everything, they are on 24/7, what the hell else are they going to rant about?) and then we lose sight of what is really going on.

"Stupid aruments" . . . . . . you mean like this one?

Wily Fox aka Angela wrote:

And this one?

Mtn Gramma wrote:

I am really disappointed in both of your attempts to play to the lowest common intelligence factor, truth be told. Speaking of truth being told, how about we get back to that and discuss why data, you know, phone numbers and length of calls, that all of us were already aware was being collected by the providers, that we all knew, or should have known, was being looked at for commercial purposes and sold to others for their commercial purposes, somehow is magically transformed into private priviledged information when that same data is examined for patterns that might indicate something nefarious is occurring by a government agency.

And while you attempt to explain that, would you also mind explaining why it isn't a good idea to keep the potential bad guys in the dark and not let them know that we have the ability to find such a pattern and find them as they seek to use the wonderful, and sacred, liberty that we all value so highly to hide in plain sight as they plot where to stike next to murder innocents?

09 Jun 2013 09:01 #75 by KJack
So PS, would you be ok with your neighbors knowing what businesses or organizations you've made phone calls to in the last decade? If you're ok with that, then you are someone I don't understand. If you're not ok with that, then why would you be ok with people in government knowing that information? Maybe they won't ever use your personal profile against you, but maybe one day they will.

09 Jun 2013 09:27 #76 by homeagain

PrintSmith wrote:

Wily Fox aka Angela wrote: agreed! we have to work hard to keep checks and balances. The cable "news" shows distract us into stupid arguments among ourselves (they have to hype everything, they are on 24/7, what the hell else are they going to rant about?) and then we lose sight of what is really going on.

"Stupid aruments" . . . . . . you mean like this one?

Wily Fox aka Angela wrote:

And this one?

Mtn Gramma wrote:

I am really disappointed in both of your attempts to play to the lowest common intelligence factor, truth be told. Speaking of truth being told, how about we get back to that and discuss why data, you know, phone numbers and length of calls, that all of us were already aware was being collected by the providers, that we all knew, or should have known, was being looked at for commercial purposes and sold to others for their commercial purposes, somehow is magically transformed into private priviledged information when that same data is examined for patterns that might indicate something nefarious is occurring by a government agency.

And while you attempt to explain that, would you also mind explaining why it isn't a good idea to keep the potential bad guys in the dark and not let them know that we have the ability to find such a pattern and find them as they seek to use the wonderful, and sacred, liberty that we all value so highly to hide in plain sight as they plot where to stike next to murder innocents?

[/b]

Because of my age, PERHAPS my POV is jaded....the BOLDED seems naive to me.....THERE IS NO SECURITY,from my POV....9/11
provided a "reality check".....the veil of innocence and security VANISHED. (The rest of world was well aware of this,however, America STILL believed in a "sheltered,secure sanctuary....."the American way".......)IF the Boston brouhaha did NOT bring this
home with SPADES, nothing will.......JMO

09 Jun 2013 09:28 #77 by LadyJazzer
Hey, "If you have nothing to hide......",

Anytime I hear those words I know there's a FOOL saying them....

09 Jun 2013 09:46 #78 by PrintSmith

homeagain wrote:

PrintSmith wrote: I am really disappointed in both of your attempts to play to the lowest common intelligence factor, truth be told. Speaking of truth being told, how about we get back to that and discuss why data, you know, phone numbers and length of calls, that all of us were already aware was being collected by the providers, that we all knew, or should have known, was being looked at for commercial purposes and sold to others for their commercial purposes, somehow is magically transformed into private priviledged information when that same data is examined for patterns that might indicate something nefarious is occurring by a government agency.

[/b]
Because of my age, PERHAPS my POV is jaded....the BOLDED seems naive to me.....THERE IS NO SECURITY,from my POV....9/11provided a "reality check".....the veil of innocence and security VANISHED. (The rest of world was well aware of this,however, America STILL believed in a "sheltered,secure sanctuary....."the American way".......)IF the Boston brouhaha did NOT bring this
home with SPADES, nothing will.......JMO

That's right home - freedom is a dangerous thing when all is said and done. The more freedom each of us has as individuals, the less safe and secure we are going to be as individuals. However, the examination of data doesn't impair your freedom, or mine, in any way, shape or form, does it? This is data that is being collected by those who provide the services you consume, isn't it? Whether the government examines the data or not, it is still being collected, still being examined by others for other reasons, isn't that right? You and I both knew that who we called and how long the calls lasted was being compiled, didn't we? I guess I shouldn't speak for you, but I knew it was being collected simply by looking at the bill that I was sent each and every month which detailed that information. Whether the government examines that data for potentially dangerous patterns or not has no bearing on whether that information is gathered on your activity, does it?

09 Jun 2013 09:46 #79 by KJack

LadyJazzer wrote: Hey, "If you have nothing to hide......",

Anytime I hear those words I know there's a FOOL saying them....

:yeahthat:

09 Jun 2013 10:03 #80 by Reverend Revelant

PrintSmith wrote:
[snip]

Whether the government examines that data for potentially dangerous patterns or not has no bearing on whether that information is gathered on your activity, does it?

You mean patterns like "Tea Party," "Patriot," "9/12..." you mean like those patterns?

Waiting for Armageddon since 33 AD

Time to create page: 0.293 seconds