NSA collecting records from millions of phones daily

09 Jun 2013 10:11 #81 by homeagain
PS.....Your LOGIC on this topic and that of the DNA collection thread makes me TRULY question what the rest of the populace is
thinking......(I have always considered you a sane and rational poster.) The POTENTIAL for abuse is REAL and IF you (collectively)
do NOT see that.....we (collectively) are screwed......it's called a "sheeple" mindset......JMO

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

09 Jun 2013 11:44 #82 by Mtn Gramma

PrintSmith wrote: I am really disappointed in both of your attempts to play to the lowest common intelligence factor, truth be told.

Golly. I feel so chastised and humbled.

Not.

09 Jun 2013 11:53 #83 by Blazer Bob

homeagain wrote: PS.....Your LOGIC on this topic and that of the DNA collection thread makes me TRULY question what the rest of the populace is
thinking......(I have always considered you a sane and rational poster.) The POTENTIAL for abuse is REAL and IF you (collectively)
do NOT see that.....we (collectively) are screwed......it's called a "sheeple" mindset......JMO

It seems we are screwed.

"I'm going to climb up a tree, cut the soles off my shoes, and learn to play the flute!".

http://boards.straightdope.com/sdmb/arc ... 71794.html

09 Jun 2013 12:14 #84 by PrintSmith

homeagain wrote: PS.....Your LOGIC on this topic and that of the DNA collection thread makes me TRULY question what the rest of the populace is

Which should give sufficient reason to reexamine your own outlook on this issue and the DNA issue home. Perhaps, just perhaps mind you, my outlook here is just as sane, just as rational, as my other posts on other topics are.

FWIW, I agree that the potential for abuse is there, and that it is significant. But to take that very rational thought to the irrational levels demonstrated here is not in any way significantly different from the actions of the General Assembly recently with regards to their gun grabbing activities. It demonstrates a mindset that seeks to punish prior to any injury actually occurring, to prevent injury from occurring, which is just as irrational in this instance as it is with regards to standard capacity magazines for semi-automatic firearms. No sane, rational, person would argue that there is not a potential for abuse, but to prohibit soley based on a fear that the potential for abuse will become actual on rare occasions is not a sane and rational response to the existence of that potential.

If/when that abuse occurs, it is then that we use the laws to punish those who are responsible for the abuse. Laws provide no safety, no security - they instead provide for the means to punish harmful behavior, remember? You are not being abused, or harmed, when all that is happening is the data associated with your phone use is analyzed for a pattern of behavior which might indicate that you are engaged in nefarious activities which may be harmful to the general welfare of the Union; something that the federal government was actually delegated the authority to oversee as opposed to an authority it tortured from the language of the Constitution in order to usurp powers from the States that belong to the Union to provide individual welfare for some using the general treasury filled by all.

09 Jun 2013 12:51 #85 by homeagain
:smackshead: P.S........using YOUR logic.......banks, ALL financial figureheads that provided us with the FUBAR (financial) that this
country finds itself mired in....WOULD have been held accountable for their LACK of due diligence and down right ILLEGAL practices....
the LACK of integrity,honesty,respectability,ethical (what ever term you wish to use)......is APPALLING and despicable.....yet, there
has been NO REAL LEGAL ramifications for their actions......robo-signing are STILL going on......I do NOT see a multitude of players
being prosecuted and jailed.....NOT at the highest level,( the EXPECTED and certainly REQUIRED legal actions have been minimal in
comparison to the gravity of the financial fiasco that transpired).....the ABOVE scenario can be EXPECTED to be played out......AGAIN
AND AGAIN when it pertains to the issues we are discussing (DNA collections, data mining.....the ABUSE WILL HAPPEN.....NO consequences can be expected......THAT IS NOT ACCEPTABLE......JMO

09 Jun 2013 13:03 #86 by LadyJazzer

homeagain wrote: :smackshead: P.S........using YOUR logic.......banks, ALL financial figureheads that provided us with the FUBAR (financial) that this
country finds itself mired in....WOULD have been held accountable for their LACK of due diligence and down right ILLEGAL practices....
the LACK of integrity,honesty,respectability,ethical (what ever term you wish to use)......is APPALLING and despicable.....yet, there
has been NO REAL LEGAL ramifications for their actions......robo-signing are STILL going on......I do NOT see a multitude of players
being prosecuted and jailed.....NOT at the highest level,( the EXPECTED and certainly REQUIRED legal actions have been minimal in
comparison to the gravity of the financial fiasco that transpired).....the ABOVE scenario can be EXPECTED to be played out......AGAIN
AND AGAIN when it pertains to the issues we are discussing (DNA collections, data mining.....the ABUSE WILL HAPPEN.....NO consequences can be expected......THAT IS NOT ACCEPTABLE......JMO

:like: :thumbsup: :yeahthat:

09 Jun 2013 15:11 #87 by KJack

The Liberals GOP Twin wrote:

PrintSmith wrote:
[snip]

Whether the government examines that data for potentially dangerous patterns or not has no bearing on whether that information is gathered on your activity, does it?

You mean patterns like "Tea Party," "Patriot," "9/12..." you mean like those patterns?

Good point.

09 Jun 2013 15:33 #88 by Blazer Bob

homeagain wrote: :smackshead: P.S........using YOUR logic.......banks, ALL financial figureheads that provided us with the FUBAR (financial) that this

:yeahthat: and the IRS is still stonewalling congress and harassing conservative groups.

09 Jun 2013 18:29 #89 by LadyJazzer

Bill Kristol: 'Republicans Are Making A Huge Mistake'

Conservative pundit Bill Kristol said on Sunday that "Republicans are making a huge mistake" if they link the NSA scandal with other recent scandals.

Kristol defended the NSA's surveillance program, which include collecting millions of phone records every day, as necessary for national security.

"National security is different from internal matters of the government," he told Fox News Sunday host Chris Wallace. "We’re dealing with foreign threats here."

He continued, "They’re not allowed to go into that data until they have a warrant signed off on by a judge. That is totally different from the IRS abuses, which I think are very serious, and I think it’s very important for conservatives and Republicans to make that distinction.”

[youtube:9rgz1aha]
[/youtube:9rgz1aha]

Dang... Can't even get Bill Kristol to suck down the Kool-Aid... Has he converted from Neo-Con to "RINO" lately?

09 Jun 2013 18:51 #90 by FredHayek
Snowden/Manning 2016 Libertarian Party ticket?

Thomas Sowell: There are no solutions, just trade-offs.

Time to create page: 0.318 seconds