NSA collecting records from millions of phones daily

18 Jun 2013 15:35 #161 by Mary Scott
it also suggests the Justice Department has secretly interpreted federal surveillance law to permit thousands of low-ranking analysts to eavesdrop on phone calls, CNET reports.

Well Hell, that there makes it OK. Who would have guessed?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

18 Jun 2013 15:40 #162 by ScienceChic
Fighting the Secrecy/Surveillance State
Sunday, 16 June 2013
By Dennis J Bernstein, Consortium News

The emergence of Bradley Manning, Julian Assange and now Edward Snowden represents just the tip of the iceberg of a popular resistance that is challenging the U.S. government’s excesses in secrecy and surveillance, a movement that Iceland MP Birgitta Jonsdottir discusses with Dennis J. Bernstein.

The U.S. government’s “war on terror” and its companion “surveillance state” have become troubling issues not only for the civil liberties of Americans but even more so for the rest of the world where popular movements are arising to challenge the electronic penetration of people’s information and violation of their privacy.

Iceland Member of Parliament Birgitta Jonsdottir of the Pirate Party was in Berkeley, California, recently to speak at a forum with Daniel Ellsberg on “Disappearing Civil Liberties in The United States.” Jonsdottir, who has worked closely with WikiLeaks’ founder Julian Assange, discussed the status of this emerging international struggle against government secrecy and surveillance in an interview with Dennis J Bernstein.

"Now, more than ever, the illusions of division threaten our very existence. We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another as if we were one single tribe.” -King T'Challa, Black Panther

The truth is incontrovertible. Malice may attack it. ignorance may deride it, but in the end, there it is. ~Winston Churchill

18 Jun 2013 15:49 #163 by FredHayek

LadyJazzer wrote:

FredHayek wrote: Bradley Manning who outed many more agents is praised by you.

You got a source for that?

:Snooze

...I didn't think so....

So you admit that the Bush administration outed Plame.... Now you want to argue over whether or not it's more illegal to out ONE agent or "many more" agents?

Amazing...

It is always Red/Blue with you, isn't it? Obama can be forgiven, becuase Bush did it first.

How about freedom and liberty versus statism and no one watching the Watchmen?

How about flyover country versus DC and the beltway boys?

Thomas Sowell: There are no solutions, just trade-offs.

18 Jun 2013 16:14 #164 by LadyJazzer

FredHayek wrote:

LadyJazzer wrote: As has already been posted, the original NSA rules weren't "rules" because Bush had Alberto Gonzales visit Ashcroft in the hospital and try to get him to sign something that bypassed all those steenkin' 4th Amendment protections...

Right?

Agree. And Obama promised to stop this when he was running against McCain. Did he? Didn't it expand under AG Holder and him?

Gee, and Bush said there were WMD's......

18 Jun 2013 16:15 #165 by Something the Dog Said

Mary Scott wrote: it also suggests the Justice Department has secretly interpreted federal surveillance law to permit thousands of low-ranking analysts to eavesdrop on phone calls, CNET reports.

Well Hell, that there makes it OK. Who would have guessed?

Mmm, CNET has retracted that story and now admits that NSA CAN NOT listen in on any phone calls without a specific warrant.

"Remember to always be yourself. Unless you can be batman. Then always be batman." Unknown

18 Jun 2013 16:17 #166 by LadyJazzer

LadyJazzer wrote:

...I didn't think so....

I'm still waiting for that source, Fred...

18 Jun 2013 17:11 #167 by FredHayek
Manning didn't pick and choose what he revealed he just put as much on the thumb drive as he could. It was Assange and others who decided what to release from what he stole.

18 Jun 2013 17:20 #168 by Something the Dog Said

FredHayek wrote: Manning didn't pick and choose what he revealed he just put as much on the thumb drive as he could. It was Assange and others who decided what to release from what he stole.

So you really support allowing soldiers to disobey orders, steal classified information in order to aid the enemy without being court martialed. Wow!

"Remember to always be yourself. Unless you can be batman. Then always be batman." Unknown

18 Jun 2013 17:24 #169 by FredHayek

Something the Dog Said wrote:

FredHayek wrote: Manning didn't pick and choose what he revealed he just put as much on the thumb drive as he could. It was Assange and others who decided what to release from what he stole.

So you really support allowing soldiers to disobey orders, steal classified information in order to aid the enemy without being court martialed. Wow!

Where did you get that from? I do think the Army and also military contractors do need to do a better job monitoring access to classified info. I do think Manning's crimes were much more damaging than Scooter Libby's.

18 Jun 2013 18:31 #170 by LadyJazzer

LadyJazzer wrote:

...I didn't think so....

I'm still waiting for that source, Fred...

Time to create page: 0.311 seconds