Paglia on Duck Dynasty

22 Dec 2013 10:55 #31 by FredHayek
Replied by FredHayek on topic Paglia on Duck Dynasty
Great points above. A&E knew how Phil thought and only after GQ publicizes them do they react. As long as they were getting massive ratings and no complaints no punishment.

Thomas Sowell: There are no solutions, just trade-offs.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

22 Dec 2013 10:59 #32 by Reverend Revelant

homeagain wrote:

Walter L Newton wrote:

homeagain wrote: The BOLDED.....Thank you....religion/belief is an EXTREMELY personal thing.... to attempt to push your belief onto me/manipulate the message to your advantage is questionable at best.

You mean like this?

homeagain wrote: "Her wounds were too great"......she is on the other side now and perhaps will assist in the healing process of the shooter AND those who remain here on this plane.....her work is just beginning...For Claire.... :heart:

???

(Disclaimer - I don't agree with Phil's stance, certainly A&E has the right to remove him from the show [although I think it will backfire on them]. I think GLADD overplayed their hand on this incident and I'm glad Phil lives in a country where it is still legal [for now] to publicly state his opinions in print and so forth)

Walter, I omitted JMO......(damned, if you do, damned if you don't.....).....you notice I left
the question OPEN (with the word perhaps).....was it a CONDEMNING COMMENT??? Was it
a negative statement? Was it offensive in it's content? I believe those questions are PERTINENT.
JMO

Did you notice that Phil was giving HIS opinion, not PUSHING his views on anyone. He used the word "I" a number of times in the interview. Show me where he was PUSHING his views on anyone?

Where was Phil "manipulating" any message? What message? He was stating his views on homosexuality filtered through his belief system, just as you were filtering your views about Claire through your half-hearted belief system (perhaps).

And I can play the same game as you. Why were you PUSHING your new-age mumbo-jumbo views on me. I don't believe in an afterlife, a before-life or any supernatural crap. You offended me as an atheist by stating YOUR own opinion.

Aren't my feeling as important as the gay community?

(Disclaimer - I don't agree with Phil's stance, certainly A&E has the right to remove him from the show [although I think it will backfire on them]. I think GLADD overplayed their hand on this incident and I'm glad Phil lives in a country where it is still legal [for now] to publicly state his opinions in print and so forth)

Waiting for Armageddon since 33 AD

22 Dec 2013 11:03 #33 by JMC
Replied by JMC on topic Paglia on Duck Dynasty
Who gives a crap?
lets get a life, this hick yaps and people listen?
Dixie Chicks, same thing, what does it say that it matters at all. Bankrupt society?

22 Dec 2013 11:07 #34 by ScienceChic
Replied by ScienceChic on topic Paglia on Duck Dynasty
Welcome intheaspens, it's always nice to have a new voice added to the conversations!

intheaspens wrote: While I agree that Phil has the right to say what he said and A&E also has the right to suspend him, it seems to me that A&E are hypocrites. First, they knew at the outset that this family is deeply religious and should have expected this to be an issue at some point in time. Second, this was documented in a story this morning:

"This is what happened. The whole idea of the show was to parade these nouveau riche Christian hillbillies around so that we could laugh at them. "Look at them," we were supposed to say. "Look how backward they are! Look what they believe! Can you believe they really live this way and believe this stuff? See how they don't fit in? HAHAHA"

(source: http://www.ncregister.com/blog/pat-arch ... -from-them )

Last, they're making money off of this family hand over fist. In the end their greed has overruled their "political correctness". So hypocritical! And now even though they're suspending one of the stars of the show they're still airing the show - doh!

In the end the Robertsons will be just fine. A&E needs the Robertsons a whole lot more than the Robertsons need A&E.

If the public at large paid as much attention to things that really matter (the dwindling economy, the Marxist in the White House, the increasingly militarized police state for example) as they did to a TV show we'd be in a whole lot better shape!

A question for everyone, since intheaspens alluded to it: are we assuming that this is a deeply religious family because of the way they are portrayed on television? If the statement that Phil made came out of the mouth of someone who looked like this:
File Attachment:

would it make the same impact?

Why Duck Dynasty is a Fraud: http://mymountaintown.com/forums/bound- ... ning/29493

Now, I'll grant you that it's the boys that made the radical apparent sell-out to look the part of backwoods rednecks, so it's not as easy to say that Phil isn't at all as he's portrayed. Just because Phil was a former quarterback who was ahead of Terry Bradshaw on the depth chart at Louisiana Tech and got drafted by the NFL doesn't mean that he doesn't have these personal beliefs, but considering that the characters on the show were purposely built to play on stereotypes and make it successful, I don't think I'd assume that they are deeply religious at all. Now if there is evidence somewhere prior to this show becoming a success that indicates that they are all conservative and deeply religious, that's a whole other thing.

Regardless, as Walter said, he has every right to state his opinion, A&E has every right to suspend him (and likely did merely for ratings, as they've demonstrated a pretty great job at manipulating reality about them from the get-go). This applies to the Robertsons, A&E, and all of us:
File Attachment:

From The Other 98% facebook page

"Now, more than ever, the illusions of division threaten our very existence. We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another as if we were one single tribe.” -King T'Challa, Black Panther

The truth is incontrovertible. Malice may attack it. ignorance may deride it, but in the end, there it is. ~Winston Churchill

22 Dec 2013 11:10 #35 by Blazer Bob
Replied by Blazer Bob on topic Paglia on Duck Dynasty

fly off the handle wrote: Who gives a crap?
Dixie Chicks, same thing, what does it say that it matters at all. Bankrupt society?

LOL At this point what difference does it make. :splat: :rofllol :rofllol

22 Dec 2013 11:13 #36 by JMC
Replied by JMC on topic Paglia on Duck Dynasty

BlazerBob wrote:

fly off the handle wrote: Who gives a crap?

LOL At this point what difference does it make. :splat: :rofllol :rofllol

Agree! Total waste of time.
SC is right they are fabrication, more media manipulation, thats all.

22 Dec 2013 11:31 #37 by homeagain
Replied by homeagain on topic Paglia on Duck Dynasty
THANK YOU.....Let me digress abit, I do NOT watch "Here come Honey-boo-boo, Keeping up
with the Kardasians, Duck Dynasty,Houeswives of whatever, Bad Girls, Jersey Shores and ANY of the mindless media shows that are/have been on TV....I believe they are pimping the participants AND the public....BUT, each of the parties agreed to the "pimp" so I guess it's acceptable. It is my belief that if you "sell" yourself than you are opening yourself
up to mass scrutiny, and that is what is occurring.

One of the non-negotiable items they (Duck Dynasty) put forth was their FAITH, that contractual
item then opens the door to scrutiny.....JMO

22 Dec 2013 11:34 #38 by Blazer Bob

homeagain wrote: THANK YOU.....Let me digress abit, I do NOT watch "Here come Honey-boo-boo, Keeping up
with the Kardasians, Duck Dynasty,Houeswives of whatever, Bad Girls, Jersey Shores and ANY of the mindless media shows that are/have been on TV....I believe they are pimping the participants AND the public....BUT, each of the parties agreed to the "pimp" so I guess it's acceptable. It is my belief that if you "sell" yourself than you are opening yourself
up to mass scrutiny, and that is what is occurring.

One of the non-negotiable items they (Duck Dynasty) put forth was their FAITH, that contractual
item then opens the door to scrutiny.....JMO

Scrutinize all you want. At the end of the day A&E is attempting to stifle free speech.

22 Dec 2013 11:40 #39 by ScienceChic
Replied by ScienceChic on topic Paglia on Duck Dynasty
I don't believe they are Blazer Bob, I think they only suspended him for attention and ratings. That's all this is about.

Regardless, it's not what's truly important. This is:
(thank you MsMAM for sharing this on FB)

What You Believe About Homosexuality Doesn’t Matter
Posted on December 19, 2013

Today, there are 2 news stories that have been circulating all over my Facebook and Twitter news feeds. One you are probably aware of, the other maybe not. The second news story is about the “defrocking” of Pennsylvania UMC pastor Frank Schaefer after he performed the marriage for his gay son and subsequent refusal to submit to church law regarding this action.

The debate over the “rightness or wrongness” of homosexuality has once again been fired up. The calls for freedom and tolerance (from both sides) have been shouted…or at least typed out with great gusto.

The fact of the matter is, it doesn’t matter whether or not you think homosexuality is a sin. It doesn’t matter. Why doesn’t it matter? Because people are dying. Kids are literally killing themselves because they are so tired of being rejected and dehumanized that they feel their only option left is to end their life. As a Youth Pastor, this makes me physically ill. And as a human, it should make you feel the same way.

When faced with the choice between being theologically correct…as if this is even possible…and being morally responsible, I’ll go with morally responsible every time.

"Now, more than ever, the illusions of division threaten our very existence. We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another as if we were one single tribe.” -King T'Challa, Black Panther

The truth is incontrovertible. Malice may attack it. ignorance may deride it, but in the end, there it is. ~Winston Churchill

22 Dec 2013 12:08 #40 by Blazer Bob

ScienceChic wrote: I don't believe they are Blazer Bob, I think they only suspended him for attention and ratings.

That might be why they did it, it does not alter what they did.

Beyond knowing the name, I am not familiar with Louis Farakan so is this BS?

Time to create page: 0.179 seconds