Paglia on Duck Dynasty

22 Dec 2013 12:24 #41 by JMC
Replied by JMC on topic Paglia on Duck Dynasty
BB you're a phony, hyper partisan.
Why not be a real person rather than a cartoon.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

22 Dec 2013 12:37 - 24 Nov 2014 11:53 #42 by ScienceChic
Replied by ScienceChic on topic Paglia on Duck Dynasty

BlazerBob wrote:
Scrutinize all you want. At the end of the day A&E is attempting to stifle free speech.

No they're not, they're protecting their business (if they aren't being hypocritical and just doing this for ratings, which it appears they are ). Robertson is free to expound on his opinion all he wants, he's not in jail for what he said. Free speech is guaranteed for citizens in regards to the government, not corporate entities. And, it wasn't liberals who called for his suspension, A&E did it automatically (again, not really).

I know nothing about Farrakhan, here's his Wikipedia entry: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Louis_Farrakhan
It doesn't look like he and Obama are friends or endorse one another at all according to that Wikipedia page, but I have no idea. And though that entry makes mention of anti-gay statements, it doesn't go into that in any further depth than referencing one story that isn't verified, so I'd like to see the proof that he called for gays to be stoned and beheaded. If he did, then no, he shouldn't be held up as anything worthy of respect and I'd bet that every liberal here would say the same thing.

Phil Robertson, according to Wikipedia , used to be a drunk that kicked his wife and kids out of their home repeatedly before he 'found God'. So if he's saying that sex, drugs, and rock and roll are evil, he's tossing stones he has no right to, but hey, that's his right. It just means he's full of sh** and I don't have to believe a word he says because he's a hypocrite.

Again, it's a common complaint of mine to ascribe to all what a few do; if a few liberals support Farrakhan, why is it all of a sudden that all liberals do? And yes, that goes for what some liberals do to conservatives. It doesn't help us find common ground and work together to solve problems, it only serves to divide us further by assigning blame and judgement to the other side.

"Now, more than ever, the illusions of division threaten our very existence. We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another as if we were one single tribe.” -King T'Challa, Black Panther

The truth is incontrovertible. Malice may attack it. ignorance may deride it, but in the end, there it is. ~Winston Churchill

22 Dec 2013 12:59 #43 by homeagain
Replied by homeagain on topic Paglia on Duck Dynasty
BB.....I find it somewhat puzzling that you are aware of Paglia, but NOT aware of Louis F....
they are BOTH polarizing figures, have controversial views and are outspoken..... :coffee-News:

22 Dec 2013 13:14 - 22 Dec 2013 13:49 #44 by Blazer Bob
Replied by Blazer Bob on topic Paglia on Duck Dynasty

homeagain wrote: BB.....I find it somewhat puzzling that you are aware of Paglia, but NOT aware of Louis F....
they are BOTH polarizing figures, have controversial views and are outspoken..... :coffee-News:

Back when I lived in the east coast time zone I enjoyed catching her on C SPAN's Washington Journal show.

22 Dec 2013 13:40 #45 by Reverend Revelant
Homeagain.

I'm still looking for an answer to my question. When did Robertson try to attempt to
push his belief onto anyone/manipulate the message to his advantage?

Waiting for Armageddon since 33 AD

22 Dec 2013 13:57 #46 by cydl
Replied by cydl on topic Paglia on Duck Dynasty
I find it incredibly amusing that so much time/effort/bandwidth is being spent on this. Like someone said earlier - it's a TV show!!! OMG!!!

It reminds me of when I was a kid and all the adults would be on the party line discussing the previous evening's episode of 'Peyton Place'. "That old man Peyton...". LOLOL!!!

22 Dec 2013 14:09 #47 by Blazer Bob
Replied by Blazer Bob on topic Paglia on Duck Dynasty

cydl wrote: I find it incredibly amusing that so much time/effort/bandwidth is being spent on this. Like someone said earlier - it's a TV show!!! OMG!!!

It reminds me of when I was a kid and all the adults would be on the party line discussing the previous evening's episode of 'Peyton Place'. "That old man Peyton...". LOLOL!!!

Yet the beat goes on. QUACK, QUACK. LOL (I like your Avatar, we have had that happen)

http://www.mahablog.com/2013/12/21/hate ... ue-part-i/

"Hate as a Virtue, Part I
Dec 21, 2013 maha --> Religion
I started to write this post a few days ago, when I saw this at Washington Post. Basically, it says that people who say they hate everybody in Washington (as opposed to just the people they disagree with) overwhelmingly vote Republican.

Lots of people weighed in on why that might be true — people may not like Republicans but agree with Republican policies, for example. I propose another reason — that there is a subset of our population who believe it to be virtuous to hate everybody in Washington. To admit that maybe you don’t hate everybody in Washington is a sign of weakness, that someone is duping you. Many teabaggers, for example, will speak ill of the Republican Party even as they cheer Republican antics and vote for Republican politicians.

So as a sign of intellectual independence, they thump their chests and declare they hate everybody in Washington, because that’s what their peers expect them to say. It’s a variation of groupthink, in other words.

(To be fair, these folks have their counterparts on the Left; for example, those who continue to say that President Obama could have gotten us a single-payer healthcare system if he had just tried.)

Since then we’ve had a lot more hate fests on the Right. The Duck Dynasty nothingburger scandal reached a height of absurdity when an Illinois businessman running for Congress called the DD paterfamilias Phil Robertson the “Rosa Parks of Our Generation.”

And for a jaw-dropping argument that intolerance of his intolerance is oppression,"...

22 Dec 2013 14:12 #48 by homeagain

Walter L Newton wrote: Homeagain.

I'm still looking for an answer to my question. When did Robertson try to attempt to

I answered that question.....it was STIPULATED in the contract that their faith was non-negotiable.....that contractual item was then part of the show.....(it was agreed upon by A&E)
and the show went into production (is my understanding of the facts)....the show is "pimping"
this family, that's just my opinion.....and the family went along with it for the money....

22 Dec 2013 14:36 #49 by Reverend Revelant

homeagain wrote:

Walter L Newton wrote: Homeagain.

I answered that question.....it was STIPULATED in the contract that their faith was non-negotiable.....that contractual item was then part of the show.....(it was agreed upon by A&E)
and the show went into production (is my understanding of the facts)....the show is "pimping"
this family, that's just my opinion.....and the family went along with it for the money....

You still didn't answer the question. How is that pushing his faith. Because he's allowed to mention his faith on the show?

Obama ends some of his speeches with terms like "God bless America." Is that pushing his faith. Does Obama do that to go along with what he suspects the public wants to hear?

Are gay pastors pushing their faith on Christians that don't support gay lifestyle?

At what point is any god talk not offensive? Where should god talk be relegated to? Where would you draw the line?

Waiting for Armageddon since 33 AD

22 Dec 2013 14:43 #50 by homeagain
One last piece of information to complete the controversy.....the Lt. Gov of Louisanna is NOW
entering into the fray.....he indicates that HE will intercede on behalf of the "ducks" IF A&E dumps the show....he has stated HE can assist in finding ANOTHER source of production.....the
reason???? Because it has brought much needed TOURISM to the state.....$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

Time to create page: 0.172 seconds