Paglia on Duck Dynasty

23 Dec 2013 09:16 #71 by Photo-fish
Replied by Photo-fish on topic Paglia on Duck Dynasty

Walter L Newton wrote: "You have faith; I have deeds." Show me your faith without deeds, and I will show you my faith by my deeds. James 2:18

So just because I do deeds means I have faith? I don't believe that.

Walter L Newton wrote: Should people tread lightly when professing concepts about their beliefs?

People are free to say whatever they like IMO, tread lightly or not. But, they should think about the consequences of their words and actions just like anyone should regardless of their religion or lack of one. If they have no concern about consequence then they can expect some blow-back.

´¯`•.. ><((((º>`•´¯`•...¸><((((º> ´¯`•.. ><((((º>`´¯`•...¸><((((º>´¯`•.. ><((((º>`•´¯`•...¸><((((º> ´¯`•.. ><((((º>`•.´¯`•...¸><((((º>

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

23 Dec 2013 09:30 #72 by Rick
Replied by Rick on topic Paglia on Duck Dynasty

Photo-fish wrote:

Walter L Newton wrote: "You have faith; I have deeds." Show me your faith without deeds, and I will show you my faith by my deeds. James 2:18

Walter L Newton wrote: Should people tread lightly when professing concepts about their beliefs?

People are free to say whatwever they like IMO, But, they should think about the consequences of their words and actions just like anyone should regardless of their religion or lack of one. If they have no concern about consequence then they can expect some blow-back.

I don't think these guys living in a backwoods hillybilly compound really give two flips about consequences... and why should they? They are living their lives as they feel is right, they are not hurting anyone (other than feelings)... they did fine before the show and they will do fine if the show ends. These people who think these guys need to be educated in progressive 2013 ideology may as well try to bail water out of the ocean. These guys only have a show because they look, act, and think differently than most Americans. This is why I love this country... as long as you're not hurting anybody, you have the right to believe and live any way you want.

I think the frustrating part for the critics that want to shame these guys into an appoligy or an educational "conversation" is that these guys are truely untouchable and unshamable. Although I do predict an IRS audit in their futures.

It was always the women, and above all the young ones, who were the most bigoted adherents of the Party, the swallowers of slogans, the amateur spies and nosers−out of unorthodoxy

George Orwell

23 Dec 2013 09:38 #73 by Reverend Revelant

Photo-fish wrote:

People are free to say whatever they like IMO, tread lightly or not. But, they should think about the consequences of their words and actions just like anyone should regardless of their religion or lack of one. If they have no concern about consequence then they can expect some blow-back.

And you don't think that a multimillionaire astute business person like Phil considered what he believes could conflict with the show at one point or another. A&E tried to stop them from praying at the end of each episode and A&E lost that one. A&E wanted more saucy language on the show, the family refused so A&E started to put "bleeps" into the show to make it appear that the family were cursing away. A&E lost that one too. And Phil and the family are always professing their faith on the show.

And when have you seen Phil whining about the consequences?

You must actually believe that these folks are just back woods hicks who sleep with a pig and a bottle of moonshine.

(Disclaimer - I don't watch the show, never have, won't start. I don't think it's entertaining to laugh at people who are different then myself. And that's the kind of response that many of these reality shows are designed to elicit. Only in this case, Duck Dynasty probably backfired in A&E's face. They have a much stronger conservative, fundamental Christian audience then they ever expected.)

Waiting for Armageddon since 33 AD

23 Dec 2013 10:12 #74 by Photo-fish
Replied by Photo-fish on topic Paglia on Duck Dynasty
I am sure Phil factored in the consequences (getting cancelled, put on hiatus, whatever) before he said what he did to GQ and during his taped rant in PA a few years ago. I am not sure Phil is whining about the consequences, but the rest of the family seems to be by saying they might bail on the series now that Phil has been put on "hiatus".

I had not heard about false bleeps and the request to stop prayers. Where did you hear that?

I don't watch the show either and believe nothing about them. Heck, by the title of the show, it could have been a Chinese food program.

Back to you.
So just because I do deeds means I have faith?

´¯`•.. ><((((º>`•´¯`•...¸><((((º> ´¯`•.. ><((((º>`´¯`•...¸><((((º>´¯`•.. ><((((º>`•´¯`•...¸><((((º> ´¯`•.. ><((((º>`•.´¯`•...¸><((((º>

23 Dec 2013 10:19 #75 by Reverend Revelant

Photo-fish wrote: I am sure Phil factored in the consequences (getting cancelled, put on hiatus, whatever) before he said what he did to GQ and during his taped rant in PA a few years ago. I am not sure Phil is whining about the consequences, but the rest of the family seems to be by saying they might bail on the series now that Phil has been put on "hiatus".

I had not heard about false bleeps and the request to stop prayers. Where did you hear that?

I don't watch the show either and believe nothing about them. Heck, by the title of the show, it could have been a Chinese food program.

Back to you.

James was to a religious community, not necessarily you.

23 Dec 2013 10:23 #76 by Reverend Revelant

Photo-fish wrote: I am sure Phil factored in the consequences (getting cancelled, put on hiatus, whatever) before he said what he did to GQ and during his taped rant in PA a few years ago. I am not sure Phil is whining about the consequences, but the rest of the family seems to be by saying they might bail on the series now that Phil has been put on "hiatus".

Back to you.

[youtube:3n0oqycg]
[/youtube:3n0oqycg]

23 Dec 2013 10:32 #77 by hillfarmer
Replied by hillfarmer on topic Paglia on Duck Dynasty
Mr. Robertson lives in a country where he can believe and say what he wants. Those of us who consider it morally unacceptable to promote bigotry and racism have the right to speak out against ideas we find abhorrent. We are doing so. The first amendment fog around this issue cloaks the fundamental issue: bigotry and racism are wrong and should be challenged whenever they become apparent.

23 Dec 2013 10:48 #78 by Reverend Revelant

hillfarmer wrote: Mr. Robertson lives in a country where he can believe and say what he wants. Those of us who consider it morally unacceptable to promote bigotry and racism have the right to speak out against ideas we find abhorrent. We are doing so. The first amendment fog around this issue cloaks the fundamental issue: bigotry and racism are wrong and should be challenged whenever they become apparent.

Promote? Show me where Phil is promoting it? He's stating his opinion, based on his belief.

You appear to echo these sentiments...

10 Reasons Duck Dynasty's Phil Robertson Is NOT Entitled to His Opinion

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/tom-lower ... 73983.html

I'ts call it an opinion and a belief. One that I certainly don't agree with, but I'm also not outraged that he said it. Nor am I outrage that A&E may be removing him from the show, it's their call. I don't agree with Phil.

But then again, if you believe in god, then I wouldn't agree with you either. But I wouldn't try to change your mind.

There is nothing foggy about the first amendment, only foggy people who actually want to limit it beyond public safety issues.

Liberal and conservatives love to spout all that live and let live stuff, until their personal beliefs are suddenly stepped on.. then Katie bar the door.

I find it almost humorous.

23 Dec 2013 10:53 #79 by Reverend Revelant
You see... this is the kind of slop that you get from people who want to suppress thought, opinions and beliefs...

"But I think differently. I don't think anyone is "entitled" to make such offensive comments (Tom Lowery)."

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/tom-lower ... 73983.html

Over my dead body Tom.

23 Dec 2013 10:58 #80 by hillfarmer
Replied by hillfarmer on topic Paglia on Duck Dynasty
"You see... this is the kind of slop that you get from people who want to suppress thought, opinions and beliefs..."

And this is typical drivel from those bereft of ideas who find it necessary to attack the person rather than the idea. Look up argue. It is not synonymous with suppress.

Time to create page: 0.182 seconds