Paglia on Duck Dynasty

23 Dec 2013 11:01 #81 by FredHayek
Replied by FredHayek on topic Paglia on Duck Dynasty
And where is is written that you are not allowed to offend others? People need to grow tougher hides.

Thomas Sowell: There are no solutions, just trade-offs.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

23 Dec 2013 11:06 #82 by Pony Soldier
Replied by Pony Soldier on topic Paglia on Duck Dynasty
Who gives a crap what this backwoods idiot thinks or says anyway? Well, obviously a lot of people do. That, by itself, is the story. How far we have fallen...

23 Dec 2013 11:08 #83 by Reverend Revelant

hillfarmer wrote: "You see... this is the kind of slop that you get from people who want to suppress thought, opinions and beliefs..."

And this is typical drivel from those bereft of ideas who find it necessary to attack the person rather than the idea. Look up argue. It is not synonymous with suppress.

I was referring to the author of that article you linked to, not you. You find it necessary to attack Robertson rather than his belief? And I'm not arguing anything. I find any and all religious thought, supernatural thought or new-age clap trap to be a waste of my time.

But I'm behind Robertson all the way, say what you want Phil. I don't agree with you, but say it as much as you want.

And then crawl back in your hole with the rest of the uninformed, intellectually weak sheep.

Waiting for Armageddon since 33 AD

23 Dec 2013 11:08 #84 by Reverend Revelant

towermonkey wrote: Who gives a crap what this backwoods idiot thinks or says anyway? Well, obviously a lot of people do. That, by itself, is the story. How far we have fallen...

I can agree with that.

23 Dec 2013 12:06 #85 by archer
Replied by archer on topic Paglia on Duck Dynasty

Walter L Newton wrote:

towermonkey wrote: Who gives a crap what this backwoods idiot thinks or says anyway? Well, obviously a lot of people do. That, by itself, is the story. How far we have fallen...

I can agree with that.

I also agree, it wasn't even a blip on my radar till it was splashed all over the media and message boards.

23 Dec 2013 14:20 #86 by pineinthegrass

Walter L Newton wrote:

I can agree with that.

I agree too. And I agree A&E can take any action they legally can.

But some people here are outraged by what the guy said. And all he did was express his personal belief. I didn't see him say he supports discriminating against anyone nor that he hates anyone. In fact he said he loves everyone.

So what I don't get is how can anyone be outraged with what this guy said, but still support politicians who actually want to discriminate against gays by opposing gay marriage? And it's not a matter of being a one issue voter. If you are speaking out against this guy then why aren't you also speaking out against people you voted for? It seems hypocritical to me and it comes across as putting personal politics above your personal values.

23 Dec 2013 14:37 #87 by FredHayek
Replied by FredHayek on topic Paglia on Duck Dynasty
Tyranny of the majority? Like those Colorado and California voters who approved making homosexual marriage illegal in their states.
While I support homosexual marriage, of the 17 states allowing it, most of those are because of courts and not citizens.
Update: Looks like a judge in Ohio is about to overturn the ban on same sex marriage there too, per KOA and Fox News radio.

Thomas Sowell: There are no solutions, just trade-offs.

23 Dec 2013 15:10 #88 by Reverend Revelant

homeagain wrote: I believe that you can practice your "faith" WITHOUT imposing upon others.....I believe that there is a way to construct your thought/sentence WITHOUT the hyberbole/hysteria that creates backlash/negativity... JMO

Like this guy...

“In the coming weeks, the... people will face a situation whose outcome can seriously harm the family…At stake is the identity and survival of the family: father, mother and children. At stake are the lives of many children who will be discriminated against in advance, and deprived of their human development given by a father and a mother and willed by God. At stake is the total rejection of God’s law engraved in our hearts.”

“Let us not be naive: this is not simply a political struggle, but it is an attempt to destroy God’s plan. It is not just a bill (a mere instrument) but a ‘move’ of the father of lies who seeks to confuse and deceive the children of God.” (note: read "Satan")

“today the country, in this particular situation, needs the special assistance of the Holy Spirit to bring the light of truth on to the darkness of error, it need this advocate to defend us from being enchanted by many fallacies that are tried at all costs to justify this bill and to confuse and deceive the people of good will.”

“I invoke the Lord to send his Spirit on senators who will be voting, that they do not act in error or out of expediency, but according to what the natural law and the law of God shows them,”

http://www.ncregister.com/blog/edward-p ... x_marriage

Ain't nothing negative about the way he constructed his thoughts and sentence, is there? I say it would be a good thing if this guy wasn't so public with these statements.

Maybe Lady Jazzer (and others) won't be so quick to quote this guy on matters of economics and politics.

26 Dec 2013 08:33 #89 by Reverend Revelant
This is rich Jesse...

“At least the bus driver, who ordered Rosa Parks to surrender her seat to a white person, was following state law,” Jackson said in a statement, according to the Chicago Tribune.

“Robertson’s statements were uttered freely and openly without cover of the law, within a context of what he seemed to believe was ‘white privilege.’'

http://www.politico.com/story/2013/12/j ... 01533.html

No Jesse... he spoke in the context of what was his freedom of speech, just like you just did above. Or was your comment "black privilege?"

27 Dec 2013 16:26 #90 by Reverend Revelant
Personal opinion and capitalism wins...

A&E Welcomes Phil Robertson Back to 'Duck Dynasty'

As a global media content company, A+E Networks' core values are centered around creativity, inclusion and mutual respect. We believe it is a privilege for our brands to be invited into people’s home and we operate with a strong sense of integrity and deep commitment to these principals.

That is why we reacted so quickly and strongly to a recent interview with Phil Robertson. While Phil’s comments made in the interview reflect his personal views based on his own beliefs, and his own personal journey, he and his family have publicly stated they regret the “coarse language” he used and the mis-interpretation of his core beliefs based only on the article. He also made it clear he would “never incite or encourage hate.” We at A+E Networks expressed our disappointment with his statements in the article, and reiterate that they are not views we hold.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/live-f ... son-667647

I still don't agree with Robertson's opinions, but business is business and I'm glad the 1984 crowd lost this one.

Time to create page: 0.187 seconds