JeffCo school board decision draws questions re:transparency

30 Apr 2014 11:48 #51 by ScienceChic
More on the upcoming meeting and issues at hand.

Attorney Intimidation?
by jeffcoreport

(Ed Note) I obtained permission from the Jeffco Parent who wrote this to post it to Board Watch.

• Is the Board Attorney Trying to Force Board Members to Do as He Says?
• Who is REDACTING the Board Attorney’s Invoices?
• Parents Point Out Problems
• Board Won’t Respond to Administrators
• Upcoming meetings
Board Meeting THIS Thursday at Bear Creek High School (9800 W Dartmouth Pl, Lakewood, in the auditorium) 5:30 p.m. Study Session, 6:30 p.m. General Meeting with Public Comment

Study Session begins at 5:30pm; Regular Meeting begins at 6:30pm. You can read a detailed breakdown of the agenda items and associated concerns here . This is the last Regular Board meeting – a meeting where the Board can vote on decisions affecting our kids – before the school year ends. Please try to attend.

[youtube:2kg67hwq]
[/youtube:2kg67hwq]

[youtube:2kg67hwq]
[/youtube:2kg67hwq]

"Now, more than ever, the illusions of division threaten our very existence. We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another as if we were one single tribe.” -King T'Challa, Black Panther

The truth is incontrovertible. Malice may attack it. ignorance may deride it, but in the end, there it is. ~Winston Churchill

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

07 May 2014 16:41 #52 by Mountain-News-Events
From Jefferson County Education Association :

JUST ANNOUNCED 6 HOURS AGO: Ken Witt will be holding a town hall meeting tonight (Wednesday, May 7th) from 7-8:30 P.M. at the Lakewood Cultural Center (470 S. Allison Parkway, Lakewood 80226) in the community room. Show up if you can.

My Mountain Town Community Calendar - filter events by Category, date, or keyword to easily find events of interest. Add your community, church, or non-profit event to the calendar yourself! Click here to access the submission form. Businesses: please contact us for more information on adding your events! Questions? Email

Community News, Events, and Calendar Forum - Check here for the latest happenings in our community and add your own!

07 May 2014 16:44 #53 by LadyJazzer
I guess the residents of Jefferson County can now see what happens when they elect teabagger extremists to the School Board, whose main purpose seems to be a contest to see who can go furthest to the right, and how much they can cut budgets, and kids/teachers/administrators be damned.

Elections have consequences....

07 May 2014 18:37 #54 by Blazer Bob

LadyJazzer wrote: I guess the residents of Jefferson County can now see what happens when they elect teabagger extremists to the School Board, whose main purpose seems to be a contest to see who can go furthest to the right, and how much they can cut budgets, and kids/teachers/administrators be damned.

Elections have consequences....

You voted against a school board proposal to increase taxes for the good of the children but at least you got to say teabagger and extremist in a sentence .

07 May 2014 18:44 #55 by LadyJazzer
No, I voted against a state referendum to increase the taxes across the state...

And where teabaggers are concerned, I'll use it every chance I get because I hold them in such contempt.

07 May 2014 19:05 #56 by Blazer Bob

LadyJazzer wrote: No, I voted against a state referendum to increase the taxes across the state...

And where teabaggers are concerned, I'll use it every chance I get because I hold them in such contempt.

Sure.

LadyJazzer wrote: I remember Amendment 23; and I remember the Bond Issue for Jefferson County that was supposed to come with a link to grade-improvement--"No performance, no money." Uh-huh. Ever seen a bond issue passed that was based on a trigger where the money wasn't distributed because the trigger didn't happen? Neither have I.

They've come to the well too many times...I'm going to vote against this one. They've played the "It's for the children" theme once too often.

http://mymountaintown.com/forums/the-co ... ne#p164599

https://www.google.com/search?q=colorad ... 3&ie=UTF-8

At least you get to use teabagger in a sentence.

07 May 2014 21:32 #57 by LadyJazzer

LadyJazzer wrote: And where teabaggers are concerned, I'll use it every chance I get because I hold them in such contempt.

I know I won't be voting for any of the current group of teabagger clowns in the next election...

07 May 2014 21:56 #58 by Blazer Bob

LadyJazzer wrote:

LadyJazzer wrote: And where teabaggers are concerned, I'll use it every chance I get because I hold them in such contempt.

I know I won't be voting for any of the current group of teabagger clowns in the next election...

LOL. You would not vote for your right foot if you left foot said it leaned towards teabagger, but at least you got to use it in a sentence.

08 May 2014 08:34 #59 by LadyJazzer
I don't see that my voting against an ill-conceived tax-increase in 2012 has ANYTHING to do with the teabaggers currently occupying the school board now. The teabaggers will continue to demolish the District in an effort to see who can be the most damaging.

You can attempt to link the two all day long, but it doesn't mean anything. And where teabaggers are concerned, I'll use it every chance I get because I hold them in such contempt.

#tooinformedtovoterepublican

11 May 2014 16:28 #60 by ScienceChic
I'm not quite sure why Ramsey Scott is listed as the author on this, because I thought it was Daniel Laverty (the same article is in Columbine Courier with his name on it, and his contact info is at the bottom of this article), but this one isn't behind a pay-wall like the Courier article. 1,000 people at the meeting, and it lasted over 7 hours - past midnight on the 1st - and it's going to grow after what they just did (see announcement below HTT article).

1,000 throng school board meeting
Teachers, students, parents comment on teacher raises, full-day kindergarten
By Ramsey Scott
Monday, May 5, 2014

The topics of teacher raises and full-day kindergarten drew 1,000 people to the Jeffco school board meeting last Thursday, leading to more than four hours of public comment.

Because of the fire-safety occupancy limit, more than 400 people were turned away from the meeting, which was held in the auditorium at Bear Creek High School in Lakewood.

http://www.jeffcopublicschools.org/medi ... alist.html

May 10, 2014
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

For more information:
Melissa Reeves, . , Jeffco Public Schools, 303-982-6567
Lynn Setzer, . , Jeffco Public Schools, 303-982-6810
Jeffco Logo

JEFFCO SUPERINTENDENT SEARCH NARROWED TO ONE FINALIST

Members of the Jefferson County Board of Education announced today, Saturday, May 10, that they have one finalist for the position of superintendent. The board convened in executive sessions on Friday, May 9 and today to meet with candidates whose identity is required to be kept confidential by Colorado law.

The finalist is Daniel McMinimee who is currently the assistant superintendent of secondary education for Douglas County Schools. He has also served as a principal, assistant principal, coach and teacher in the Salem-Keizer School district in Oregon.

“We had a robust pool of highly-qualified candidates from which to choose,” said board president Ken Witt. “We are very pleased with the finalist who has emerged as the top contender for the job of Jeffco superintendent. We want to ensure that we have the very best person to lead the district’s 85,000 students and 14,000 employees with excellence.”

The search firm of Ray and Associates, Inc. conducted the search on behalf of the board of education.

[youtube:1lxla9t2]
[/youtube:1lxla9t2]
Posted on Transparency Jeffco Facebook Page :

Dan McMinimee chosen as new Jeffco Superintendent. The board just wasted tens of thousands of YOUR tax dollars on a sham national superintendent search, only to hire a crony from DougCo.

[youtube:1lxla9t2]
[/youtube:1lxla9t2]

School spending in Jeffco must be transparent
By Jonna Levine and Kelly Johnson
Posted: 05/07/2014

As co-chairs of the successful campaign for the 2012 ballot Initiatives 3A and 3B, which raised money for Jefferson County schools through a mill levy and bond, we were extremely proud of the strong support voters showed for both initiatives.

Key to winning the voters' support was the painstaking care the campaign took to specifically communicate how funds would be spent, thoroughly illustrating our plans with charts and facts.

Jeffco voters expect transparency about how their tax dollars are spent. While voters did not dismiss the idea of charter funding, they ranked it very low in priority — well below improving teacher compensation, in fact.

Equity for Jeffco's charters should be addressed by the board and district, but not without including the voters and taxpayers of Jefferson County.

Read more: School spending in Jeffco must be transparent - The Denver Post http://www.denverpost.com/opinion/ci_25 ... z31RrGz3Mf
Read The Denver Post's Terms of Use of its content: http://www.denverpost.com/termsofuse
Follow us: @Denverpost on Twitter | Denverpost on Facebook

"Now, more than ever, the illusions of division threaten our very existence. We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another as if we were one single tribe.” -King T'Challa, Black Panther

The truth is incontrovertible. Malice may attack it. ignorance may deride it, but in the end, there it is. ~Winston Churchill

Time to create page: 0.536 seconds