JeffCo school board decision draws questions re:transparency

12 May 2014 13:37 #61 by Venturer
Delighted to see so many people taking an interest in the Jeffco School Board.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

14 May 2014 12:30 #62 by Mountain-News-Events
From Jeffco Parent Teacher Association:

MEET DAN MCMINIMEE ~ Join the new Superintendent for a Meet & Greet Thursday, May 15, 4-6 p.m. at Wheat Ridge High School. This is a chance for you to shake hands and ask questions of Mr. McMinimee. There are supposed to be several of these gatherings, we will share those details with you as we receive them.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=698469320215183

My Mountain Town Community Calendar - filter events by Category, date, or keyword to easily find events of interest. Add your community, church, or non-profit event to the calendar yourself! Click here to access the submission form. Businesses: please contact us for more information on adding your events! Questions? Email

Community News, Events, and Calendar Forum - Check here for the latest happenings in our community and add your own!

15 May 2014 11:53 #63 by Mountain-News-Events
Jeffco School Board Special Session Tonight, appears to be covering negotiations with the teachers union.
*Correction: it will address the final Superintendent candidate, Daniel McMinimee.
http://www.boarddocs.com/co/jeffco/Boar ... 3RHY6923D8
Agenda Item Details
Meeting
May 15, 2014 - Special Meeting
Category
Preliminary
Subject
Type
Procedural

5th fl. Board Room to convene the meeting in open session, then proceeding to the 4th fl., Seminar Room for the executive session.

1829 Denver West Drive, Bldg. 27, Golden, CO

1. Preliminary
1.01 Location: Education Center
1.02 Call to Order: 6:30 pm
1.03 Roll Call
1.04 Approve Agenda
2. Executive Session
2.01 Board Direction on CSEA
3. Adjournment

My Mountain Town Community Calendar - filter events by Category, date, or keyword to easily find events of interest. Add your community, church, or non-profit event to the calendar yourself! Click here to access the submission form. Businesses: please contact us for more information on adding your events! Questions? Email

Community News, Events, and Calendar Forum - Check here for the latest happenings in our community and add your own!

19 May 2014 19:20 #64 by ScienceChic
They've certainly gotten people energized and active!

[youtube:2twqtgps]
[/youtube:2twqtgps]
Boots on the Boulevard in JeffCo
Published on May 18, 2014

CEA staff drive up and down Wadsworth Boulevard, Friday, May 16, where thousands of JeffCo Public Schools employees, parents and students waved to traffic for two hours after the school day to stand up for what the Jeffco community wants and deserves from its public schools. The new school board majority in JeffCo has so far failed to listen to the community and prioritize all students' education and success.

"Now, more than ever, the illusions of division threaten our very existence. We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another as if we were one single tribe.” -King T'Challa, Black Panther

The truth is incontrovertible. Malice may attack it. ignorance may deride it, but in the end, there it is. ~Winston Churchill

19 May 2014 19:35 #65 by LadyJazzer
No one is surprised... They got what they voted for...

20 May 2014 09:16 #66 by Nobody that matters

LadyJazzer wrote: No one is surprised... They got what they voted for...

Yep. That works for me. They are staying true to their platform despite the vocal minority.

"Whatever you are, be a good one." ~ Abraham Lincoln

21 May 2014 07:00 #67 by FredHayek
I saw the union protestors too yesterday. "Don't make JeffCo like Douglas County!" Doesn't Douglas County have the best schools in the state? Why does the education union want Jeffco students and parents to have worse schools?

Thomas Sowell: There are no solutions, just trade-offs.

21 May 2014 09:13 #68 by LadyJazzer
And your SOURCE for the allegation that "Douglas County has the best schools" is: ???

21 May 2014 10:44 #69 by Nobody that matters

LadyJazzer wrote: And your SOURCE for the allegation that "Douglas County has the best schools" is: ???

I'm not arguing the point, I was just curious about the relative rankings...

http://www.schooldigger.com/go/CO/districtrank.aspx
Out of 126 Colorado districts
Dougco #10
Jeffco #36

"Whatever you are, be a good one." ~ Abraham Lincoln

21 May 2014 11:21 #70 by LadyJazzer
Thanks... That's a great chart...

However, I notice that JeffCo has nearly 87,000 students; Douglas Cty has 63,000; and none of the schools in between comes close to either of those numbers in terms of enrollment. I should think that would factor in. 10th is better than 36th, but it's a far cry from "best in the state."

I submit that it's the current slash-and-burn JeffCo crowd that have produced that outcome. Oh well, there's always a "next election" cycle....

Time to create page: 0.530 seconds