JeffCo school board decision draws questions re:transparency

24 Sep 2014 06:49 - 24 Sep 2014 06:50 #101 by Rick

RenegadeCJ wrote:
Regarding transparency. Fully support all meetings being open to the public. I also would support putting a camera in every classroom so that parents could log in and see exactly what the teachers are teaching, AND students who are sick could catch some of the work.

Would that type of transparency be ok with the teachers? Or only transparency when it doesn't hold them to account.

:like: Well said. As a parent of three, I would love to see what goes on in these classrooms on a daily basis... and since I pay for it, I think I deserve to see what I'm getting for my tax dollars. I also really like your point that a sick kid could watch their classes from home and not be so stressed out trying to catch up. What's the downside other than some teachers not wanting to be evaluated by parents? It would also discourage teachers from indoctrinating their students with their own political ideology that shouldn't be in the classroom anyway. The same people who want cops to be camera'd up probably think this is a bad idea.

It was always the women, and above all the young ones, who were the most bigoted adherents of the Party, the swallowers of slogans, the amateur spies and nosers−out of unorthodoxy

George Orwell

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

25 Sep 2014 23:43 - 25 Sep 2014 23:46 #102 by BuyersAgent
Yikes. All the way from Chicago, my sister has sent me this New Yorker piece, "Colorado school board votes to ban students." Now she wants to know wtf and what am I supposed to tell her? :biggrin: That the student-free zones are not based on the school board's vote?

www.newyorker.com/humor/borowitz-report/...d-votes-ban-students

Kathy G. Hansen
Broker/Owner
COLORADO HIGHLIGHTS REALTY
303-761-4046

26 Sep 2014 06:02 #103 by HEARTLESS
Until the specific reason/reasons for the sick outs and protests come out, it just appears to be "if we don't get it our way, we won't do it."
Getting kids to not go to class and protest is no significant achievement either, since many are always looking for a way not to go to class.

The silent majority will be silent no more.

26 Sep 2014 07:57 #104 by Nobody that matters
The student protests wouldn't even be happening if the weather was bad.

"Whatever you are, be a good one." ~ Abraham Lincoln

26 Sep 2014 15:26 #105 by HEARTLESS
They have finally released a concise statement that I can back.

29 Sep 2014 09:00 #106 by jf1acai
Classes canceled at 2 JeffCo high schools - www.9news.com/story/news/education/2014/...igh-school/16415035/

Is it just me, or is anyone else tired of the teachers continuing this sick-out crap? They have gotten attention, now it is past time for them to go back to doing the job we are paying them to do. Whatever sympathy I may have had for their cause in the beginning is now completely gone.

Experience enables you to recognize a mistake when you make it again - Jeanne Pincha-Tulley

Comprehensive is Latin for there is lots of bad stuff in it - Trey Gowdy

29 Sep 2014 09:17 #107 by Nobody that matters
But it's all about the kids! Think of the children!

"Whatever you are, be a good one." ~ Abraham Lincoln

29 Sep 2014 16:38 #108 by Mountain-News-Events
For those of you who want to sign up for public comment for the October 2nd Board Meeting, there are two sections: Section One is for items on the agenda and Section Two is for items that are not on the agenda.

To check what is on the agenda and the item numbers, follow this link: www.boarddocs.com/co/jeffco/Board.nsf/Public

To sign up for Section One follow this link: www.surveymonkey.com/s/pt1_oct

To sign up for Section Two follow this link: www.surveymonkey.com/s/pt2_oct

My Mountain Town Community Calendar - filter events by Category, date, or keyword to easily find events of interest. Add your community, church, or non-profit event to the calendar yourself! Click here to access the submission form. Businesses: please contact us for more information on adding your events! Questions? Email

Community News, Events, and Calendar Forum - Check here for the latest happenings in our community and add your own!

29 Sep 2014 16:46 #109 by HEARTLESS
The limited support I had for them on the reasoning for the protest is now gone. Get back to work and stop teaching "if we don't get our way, we won't play."

30 Sep 2014 06:31 - 30 Sep 2014 06:32 #110 by PrintSmith
The Superintendent issued a statement that he might dock the teachers a day's pay for misusing their alloted leave time in this manner. Personally I think a month's suspension without pay, given their actions are both in violation of the collective bargaining agreement they accepted and Colorado Law, is in order should this nonsense continue.

Time to create page: 0.539 seconds