JeffCo school board decision draws questions re:transparency

30 Sep 2014 07:01 #111 by FredHayek
Denver Post in an editorial this morning says it is time for the teachers and students to go back to school.

Thomas Sowell: There are no solutions, just trade-offs.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

30 Sep 2014 07:27 #112 by Nobody that matters
"More protests expected in Jeffco Tuesday; Carmody Middle School students planning walkout"
www.thedenverchannel.com/news/local-news...nts-planning-walkout

Middle school... It's gone too far now, and those kids need to be herded right back into class until they grow up more.

"Whatever you are, be a good one." ~ Abraham Lincoln

30 Sep 2014 08:00 #113 by Rick

Nobody that matters wrote: "More protests expected in Jeffco Tuesday; Carmody Middle School students planning walkout"
www.thedenverchannel.com/news/local-news...nts-planning-walkout

Middle school... It's gone too far now, and those kids need to be herded right back into class until they grow up more.

Unlikely these kids had the idea to walk oout on their own, they most likely took advice of teachers to make the point for the teachers.

It was always the women, and above all the young ones, who were the most bigoted adherents of the Party, the swallowers of slogans, the amateur spies and nosers−out of unorthodoxy

George Orwell

30 Sep 2014 08:31 #114 by Nobody that matters
I wouldn't blame the teachers - I think it's older siblings - Middle schoolers want to be just like the high schoolers. They want in on the action, and gosh they might even get their picture in the paper!

30 Sep 2014 09:50 #115 by Rick

Nobody that matters wrote: I wouldn't blame the teachers - I think it's older siblings - Middle schoolers want to be just like the high schoolers. They want in on the action, and gosh they might even get their picture in the paper!

It depends on the kid. My daughter is in 8th grade and she panics if she's a minute late or if she doesn't get an A in every class. I'll ask her tonight if any teachers have been talking about this and leaning on kids to walk out. You're probably right though.

It was always the women, and above all the young ones, who were the most bigoted adherents of the Party, the swallowers of slogans, the amateur spies and nosers−out of unorthodoxy

George Orwell

30 Sep 2014 10:04 #116 by RenegadeCJ
Civil disobedience means sacrificing something or taking a risk. Fine. These kids can walk out, but if I were the principle, I would direct every teacher to make sure all work is done. If kids aren't there, it is an unexcused absence, and work cannot be made up. It should affect their grade. Then we will see who really believes in the cause, and who just wants a day out of school.

How about protesting after school? How about protesting on saturday? Nah, we got things to do then.

Too bad future generations aren't here to see all the great things we are spending their $$ on!!

30 Sep 2014 12:15 #117 by Jekyll
Diggin' this thread. I could agree that there is a strong possibility that there are certain teachers leaning on certain groups of kids. No doubt. I'm sure there's some kids thinking on their own, but then, do they have a full scope of the political battles going on within the Union and Board? I doubt it. Anyway, some heads need ta start rolling, enough is enough. Whiney ass babies. Didn't they just have three months off and just came back like what, a month ago?

30 Sep 2014 12:17 #118 by Jekyll

RenegadeCJ wrote: Civil disobedience means sacrificing something or taking a risk. Fine. These kids can walk out, but if I were the principle, I would direct every teacher to make sure all work is done. If kids aren't there, it is an unexcused absence, and work cannot be made up. It should affect their grade. Then we will see who really believes in the cause, and who just wants a day out of school.

How about protesting after school? How about protesting on saturday? Nah, we got things to do then.

^ Spot on.

30 Sep 2014 12:35 - 30 Sep 2014 12:36 #119 by Nobody that matters
I'm waiting for the 5th graders to stage a walkout. Since Williams' original proposal also contained a review of the "elementary health curriculum" and nobody is paying attention to Newkirk's edits that removed it, why isn't anyone up in arms about her trying to get her claws into the 5th grade sex talk?

"Boys and Girls, Keep it in your pants. God sees you. That's all you need to know."

Can you imagine the signs? "Jeffco board, keep your hands off my Tallywhacker!"

30 Sep 2014 13:17 #120 by FredHayek
So are the teachers and students going to also picket on Saturday? :popcorn:

Thomas Sowell: There are no solutions, just trade-offs.

Time to create page: 0.542 seconds