Republicans pushing for higher US gas prices

07 Jan 2014 13:44 #11 by FredHayek
And exporting energy can help with our balance of trade. More grays than black/white on an issue like this.

Thomas Sowell: There are no solutions, just trade-offs.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

07 Jan 2014 13:59 #12 by Pony Soldier
Right now, electric and electric hybrids are the most viable although they have their own set of issues. As with any new technology, innovation and improvements will be driven by demand. There are also biofuels and biofuel mixtures that have met with some success, but not enough success to be a major player.

07 Jan 2014 14:15 #13 by Something the Dog Said

Rick wrote:

Something the Dog Said wrote: Sen. Murkoswski has published an white paper that promotes the Republican point of view. She however fails to describe how decreasing the domestic supply would increase prices at the pump in the US. This is a high profile issue for 2014 that the Republicans are promoting so no doubt you can easily research the Republican point of view. However they fail to disclose how this would increase domestic prices at the pump. They also fail to disclose the effect on the domestic economy and jobs from this increased price.

As to the Koch Bros., their extensive holdings and profits from the domestic oil production is also well documented. Their holdings include koch pipeline that profits from distribution of crude oil from central distribution in Cushing OK to export facilities, and Koch Supply and Trading which trades crude oil internationally. They also own extensive crude production and drilling operations as well.
Their profits would increase significantly at the expense of increased pump prices in the US.

I realize I can spend all kinds of time researching the point you are trying to make. However, I'm not interested enough to waste that much time and would hope that since you brought this subject up, that you would also provide the sources for us to discuss. And just because someone you don't like benefits from a policy, that doesn't necessarily mean the policy is bad. But without more facts and details, I can't make that determination nor do I have the desire to spend that time looking.

If you are not willing to understand the issues, then debate would be worthless. I never take a single source for any topic on which I post. I look at dozens to ensure that I have an understanding of the issue, from all sides rather than a single advocacy point. If I don't have time to do that, then I do not engage in the debate. But then that is me.

It took all of five seconds to google murkowski crude oil ban. Up popped a list of dozens of sources. It took less than five seconds to select links that you might choose credible.
Here is one source if you must limit yourself to one that explains some of both sides of the debate(although biased towards the exporters):
http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2014-01-0 ... t-ban.html
If you actually read my post, my bias against the Koch Bros. is not my issue, it is that in order to increase profits for the Koch Bros., the American consumer will suffer. My premise is that increasing domestic crude oil exports will not benefit the American consumer nor the American economy. The only benefits will be towards those who benefit from the exports.

"Remember to always be yourself. Unless you can be batman. Then always be batman." Unknown

07 Jan 2014 14:16 #14 by Something the Dog Said

FredHayek wrote: And exporting energy can help with our balance of trade. More grays than black/white on an issue like this.

So forcing american consumers to pay more at the pump and on the grocery store shelves is a benefit to the American economy?

"Remember to always be yourself. Unless you can be batman. Then always be batman." Unknown

07 Jan 2014 14:26 #15 by deltamrey
USA Sheeple have a distorted image of oil and markets.....ALL oil essentially world wide is in one integrated market....oil produced in Texas is sent to the highest bidder even in Saudi, Russian oil feeds refineries in Texas and California...multiple carriers of many flags move it all..........etc. There really is no oil independence especially when we buy massive amounts in the market place. We cannot buy JUST American Soil oil any longer....MYTH.Welcome to markets and capitalism......

07 Jan 2014 14:35 #16 by FredHayek

Something the Dog Said wrote:

FredHayek wrote: And exporting energy can help with our balance of trade. More grays than black/white on an issue like this.

So forcing american consumers to pay more at the pump and on the grocery store shelves is a benefit to the American economy?

Really? You want to go there. lol
I suppose you blame outsourcing for all our ills, although it has lowered the prices of consumer goods, effectively giving the American consumer pay raises.
Outsourcing hurt our American workers in manufacturing but helped most American consumers.

07 Jan 2014 15:43 #17 by Something the Dog Said

deltamrey wrote: USA Sheeple have a distorted image of oil and markets.....ALL oil essentially world wide is in one integrated market....oil produced in Texas is sent to the highest bidder even in Saudi, Russian oil feeds refineries in Texas and California...multiple carriers of many flags move it all..........etc. There really is no oil independence especially when we buy massive amounts in the market place. We cannot buy JUST American Soil oil any longer....MYTH.Welcome to markets and capitalism......

That simply is false. Crude oil produced in Texas or anywhere in the US is not exported. Period. This has been the case since 1976 in order to ensure domestic reserves. Refined products may be exported, but crude can not. The Republicans are pushing to remove that ban so that domestic producers and pipeline operators and international traders can increase their profits by reducing the domestic supply.

That domestic crude oil is being exported into a worldwide market is the MYTH.

07 Jan 2014 15:54 #18 by FredHayek
Dog,
Sometimes you really are the economic illiterate. Only if America was totally weaned off petroleum imports would banning oil exports matter. If America is importing 50% of our petrol needs, it doesn't matter if Texas sells their oil to Boston or London. Oil is totally fungible, it just looks good politically!
Bombastic Senator: Why are we selling our oil to Japan and buying oil from Venezuela?

For example, it makes more sense in fuel costs for Alaskan oil to go to Japan rather than through the Panama Canal on a trip to New England.

07 Jan 2014 16:12 #19 by Something the Dog Said

FredHayek wrote: Dog,
Sometimes you really are the economic illiterate. Only if America was totally weaned off petroleum imports would banning oil exports matter. If America is importing 50% of our petrol needs, it doesn't matter if Texas sells their oil to Boston or London. Oil is totally fungible, it just looks good politically!
Bombastic Senator: Why are we selling our oil to Japan and buying oil from Venezuela?

For example, it makes more sense in fuel costs for Alaskan oil to go to Japan rather than through the Panama Canal on a trip to New England.

Really Fred? Then why did we build the Alaska pipeline? Please educate me, how many supertankers of oil pass through the Panama Canal?

Hmm, what are american oil imports currently? Hint: it is not 50%. In fact, the decrease in oil imports has dropped the trade gap that you are so concerned with to a recent low.

07 Jan 2014 16:59 #20 by FredHayek
We built the Alaskan pipeline to deliver oil from northern oilfields to coastal ports.

Time to create page: 0.161 seconds