Republicans pushing for higher US gas prices

08 Jan 2014 11:00 #31 by Something the Dog Said
I have no interest in your personal information or your personal life, it was your decision to change your avatar and to pose as a new poster (albeit) with 6500 posts. It is my opinion that it was sleazy what you did to Wayne, but that was again your choice.

You were the one who brought up the double standard allegations with no factual background to support it. I prefer debating to hating.

"Remember to always be yourself. Unless you can be batman. Then always be batman." Unknown

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

08 Jan 2014 11:05 #32 by Reverend Revelant

Something the Dog Said wrote: I have no interest in your personal information or your personal life, it was your decision to change your avatar and to pose as a new poster (albeit) with 6500 posts. It is my opinion that it was sleazy what you did to Wayne, but that was again your choice.

You were the one who brought up the double standard allegations with no factual background to support it. I prefer debating to hating.

Then tell me. How is this polar vortex created by global warming?

Waiting for Armageddon since 33 AD

08 Jan 2014 11:34 #33 by Something the Dog Said

Reverend Revelant wrote:

Something the Dog Said wrote: I have no interest in your personal information or your personal life, it was your decision to change your avatar and to pose as a new poster (albeit) with 6500 posts. It is my opinion that it was sleazy what you did to Wayne, but that was again your choice.

the Polar Vortex is actually the jet stream encircling the Arctic which keeps the arctic cold in place . The deflection of the jet stream downward is allowing the Arctic Cold to move downward across North America. This is also referred to as a "stratospheric phenomenon warming event" although that sounds counter intuitive. The deflection of the jet stream (weakening of the Vortex) releases that arctic cold downward over North America. The physics of this action is complex and not fully understood as yet, but the evidence is that as the polar ice cap warms, high pressure builds over the Arctic which weakens the polar jet stream allowing it to deflect downward over North America. At the same time the mid Atlantic jet stream is being strengthened by the warming of the oceans to interact with the deflected Polar Vortex in creating the recent cold weather.

Unfortunately, this portends even further cold weather for North America.

"Remember to always be yourself. Unless you can be batman. Then always be batman." Unknown

08 Jan 2014 13:04 #34 by Jekyll

Something the Dog Said wrote:

Reverend Revelant wrote:

the Polar Vortex is actually the jet stream encircling the Arctic which keeps the arctic cold in place . The deflection of the jet stream downward is allowing the Arctic Cold to move downward across North America. This is also referred to as a "stratospheric phenomenon warming event" although that sounds counter intuitive. The deflection of the jet stream (weakening of the Vortex) releases that arctic cold downward over North America. The physics of this action is complex and not fully understood as yet, but the evidence is that as the polar ice cap warms, high pressure builds over the Arctic which weakens the polar jet stream allowing it to deflect downward over North America. At the same time the mid Atlantic jet stream is being strengthened by the warming of the oceans to interact with the deflected Polar Vortex in creating the recent cold weather.

Wow...I find myself in agreement with Dog. Glad that finally happened. I only bolded the above text because I tried to make that point in another thread which is more suited to the last page or so of debate. Sorry I've always been suck a prick to you Dog, I'm actually glad I find agreement here. Very good post btw.

08 Jan 2014 13:10 #35 by Jekyll
For Dog and others. I just watched this on Netflix last week. Very compelling and the best documentary on this subject that I've personally seen so far and I watch a lot of movies:

[youtube:ploj0zis]
[/youtube:ploj0zis]

08 Jan 2014 13:58 #36 by bailey bud
to my knowledge - oil prices are set in a global market.

Unless there's some speculative futures involved, I just don't see much befit to the producers. There's plenty of suppliers world-wide that can export to China (chief among them is Saudi Arabia) - so I don't see lifting a restriction as impacting prices, (prices are set independent of political restrictions).

That said - I think Saudi Arabia will eventually get upset with President Obama's consistent dovishness, and they'll remind him who controls oil prices --- some time in 2014.

I don't think we'll have the same crisis we had in the 70s --- but we'll have some discomfort.

08 Jan 2014 14:21 #37 by FredHayek

bailey bud wrote: to my knowledge - oil prices are set in a global market.

Unless there's some speculative futures involved, I just don't see much befit to the producers. There's plenty of suppliers world-wide that can export to China (chief among them is Saudi Arabia) - so I don't see lifting a restriction as impacting prices, (prices are set independent of political restrictions).

That said - I think Saudi Arabia will eventually get upset with President Obama's consistent dovishness, and they'll remind him who controls oil prices --- some time in 2014.

I don't think we'll have the same crisis we had in the 70s --- but we'll have some discomfort.

So if the Sauds refuse to sell to the US, couldn't we just buy it through a middleman? I am sure for another dollar a barrel, others will sell it to us. If Saudi Arabia turns off the taps to everyone, do they really want to piss off India and China?

Thomas Sowell: There are no solutions, just trade-offs.

08 Jan 2014 15:03 #38 by Reverend Revelant

Something the Dog Said wrote: the Polar Vortex is actually the jet stream encircling the Arctic which keeps the arctic cold in place. The deflection of the jet stream downward is allowing the Arctic Cold to move downward across North America. This is also referred to as a "stratospheric phenomenon warming event" although that sounds counter intuitive. The deflection of the jet stream (weakening of the Vortex) releases that arctic cold downward over North America. The physics of this action is complex and not fully understood as yet, but the evidence is that as the polar ice cap warms, high pressure builds over the Arctic which weakens the polar jet stream allowing it to deflect downward over North America. At the same time the mid Atlantic jet stream is being strengthened by the warming of the oceans to interact with the deflected Polar Vortex in creating the recent cold weather.

Let's take your explanation one point at a time so we don't get mired in deflections and off subject.

"The Polar Vortex is actually the jet stream encircling the Arctic which keeps the arctic cold in place." (it's not The Jet Stream)

A polar vortex (also known as a polar cyclone, polar low, or a circumpolar whirl[1] ) is a persistent, large-scale cyclone located near either of a planet's geographical poles. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Polar_vortex

No where in anything I have read on the internet suggest that the polar vortex is the jet stream. It's a storm, a constant storm, which is strong during one part of the year, weak during the other part of the year. And if you meant "a jet stream," then that is still not correct.

We need to know what the polar vortex IS, before we can speak to how it moves and how it reacts to various other troposphere and stratospheric conditions.

Waiting for Armageddon since 33 AD

08 Jan 2014 15:20 #39 by Something the Dog Said
sorry for the sloppy wording, I was trying to dumb it down for you since you were claiming that you had no understanding of it and was requesting explanation. Is that true, that you had no understanding of the polar vortex and was requesting a simple explanation? I "appreciate" your sudden new found expertise on the subject.

A more precise explanation is that it is an ever present frigid mass circling the arctic and held in place by a jet stream. There is evidence that the warming of the arctic ice is creating a high pressure center that is weakening that frigid mass deflecting the jet stream downward and pulling the arctic cold downward over North America.

Does that satisfy you, or in your "sudden" new found knowledge, are you going to try to nitpick my explanation?

08 Jan 2014 15:22 #40 by FredHayek
"Unfortunately, this portends even further colder weather for North America"

Actually Fox News was saying some southern states were happy that the extreme cold might slow down insect pests. Severe cold for a couple weeks would help Colorado in its fight against the pine beetle.

Thomas Sowell: There are no solutions, just trade-offs.

Time to create page: 0.157 seconds