Republicans pushing for higher US gas prices

08 Jan 2014 15:26 #41 by Something the Dog Said
At this time of year it will take temperatures of below -30 for over a week and more likely 2- 3 weeks to kill off pine beetles as they have already increased the glycol in their systems. I don't think anyone other than you would think those temperatures for that amount of time would be advantageous for the public as whole, particularly since the damage from the pine beetles is starting to run it's course.

"Remember to always be yourself. Unless you can be batman. Then always be batman." Unknown

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

08 Jan 2014 15:36 #42 by Reverend Revelant

Something the Dog Said wrote: sorry for the sloppy wording, I was trying to dumb it down for you since you were claiming that you had no understanding of it and was requesting explanation.

Where did I say I had "no understanding of it?" You wanted honest debate and right out of the chute you become hateful with a phase "I was trying to dumb it down for you."

My question was "Then tell me. How is this polar vortex created by global warming?" Nothing in that statement indicates I was claiming anything, it wasn't even a declarative sentence.

You don't want honest debate, you want to continue to snark and insult people with your superior "knowledge." I tried to get a conversation going on this polar vortex but I am not going to listen to someone who starts out a conversation with "dumb it down for you."

Forget it.

Waiting for Armageddon since 33 AD

08 Jan 2014 17:06 #43 by bailey bud
I don't think we'd see another embargo.

I think you'll get talk of lower output from OPEC - which will get investors nervous enough to spike the price.

08 Jan 2014 17:28 #44 by Pony Soldier
What are you talking about bb? This is a thread about the Polar Vortex...oh ...wait...

09 Jan 2014 06:46 #45 by PrintSmith

Something the Dog Said wrote:

Reverend Revelant wrote:

Something the Dog Said wrote: I have no interest in your personal information or your personal life, it was your decision to change your avatar and to pose as a new poster (albeit) with 6500 posts. It is my opinion that it was sleazy what you did to Wayne, but that was again your choice.

You were the one who brought up the double standard allegations with no factual background to support it. I prefer debating to hating.

Then tell me. How is this polar vortex created by global warming?

the Polar Vortex is actually the jet stream encircling the Arctic which keeps the arctic cold in place . The deflection of the jet stream downward is allowing the Arctic Cold to move downward across North America. This is also referred to as a "stratospheric phenomenon warming event" although that sounds counter intuitive. The deflection of the jet stream (weakening of the Vortex) releases that arctic cold downward over North America. The physics of this action is complex and not fully understood as yet, but the evidence is that as the polar ice cap warms, high pressure builds over the Arctic which weakens the polar jet stream allowing it to deflect downward over North America. At the same time the mid Atlantic jet stream is being strengthened by the warming of the oceans to interact with the deflected Polar Vortex in creating the recent cold weather.

Unfortunately, this portends even further cold weather for North America.

So if I am understanding you correctly, what you are saying is a warmer climate produces colder weather, as well as warmer weather, as well as more and stronger storms, as well as fewer and weaker storms, and less ice in at the northern pole and more ice at the southern one. Maybe global warming was responsible for the severe winter when Washington was camped at Valley Forge as well?

09 Jan 2014 07:06 #46 by Reverend Revelant

PrintSmith wrote: So if I am understanding you correctly, what you are saying is a warmer climate produces colder weather, as well as warmer weather, as well as more and stronger storms, as well as fewer and weaker storms, and less ice in at the northern pole and more ice at the southern one. Maybe global warming was responsible for the severe winter when Washington was camped at Valley Forge as well?

Yes. You are correct. The weather during the Valley Forge incident was created by a polar vortex (see Physicist Dr. Will Happer), so I guess it must have been human influenced global warming that caused it.

Waiting for Armageddon since 33 AD

09 Jan 2014 07:45 #47 by Nobody that matters

Reverend Revelant wrote:

PrintSmith wrote: So if I am understanding you correctly, what you are saying is a warmer climate produces colder weather, as well as warmer weather, as well as more and stronger storms, as well as fewer and weaker storms, and less ice in at the northern pole and more ice at the southern one. Maybe global warming was responsible for the severe winter when Washington was camped at Valley Forge as well?

Yes. You are correct. The weather during the Valley Forge incident was created by a polar vortex (see Physicist Dr. Will Happer), so I guess it must have been human influenced global warming that caused it.

They were burning too much wood, and all they had to eat was beans. The localized methane percentage went off the charts.

"Whatever you are, be a good one." ~ Abraham Lincoln

09 Jan 2014 07:50 #48 by Pony Soldier
I thought local, unusual events were termed weather while long term trends were termed climate. As such, wouldn't this be considered weather? Serious question - I'm actually not trying to make a point

09 Jan 2014 08:02 #49 by FredHayek

towermonkey wrote: I thought local, unusual events were termed weather while long term trends were termed climate. As such, wouldn't this be considered weather? Serious question - I'm actually not trying to make a point

That is the way I understood it too.

There was a letter today in the Denver Post arguing that climatology is still a developing science and that many of the promised disaster scenarios just haven't happened. So this goes along with my point, why should we be making policy with such an uncertain science?
( :biggrin: Good to see that DP hasn't censored people that deviate from the GW faithful.)

Thomas Sowell: There are no solutions, just trade-offs.

09 Jan 2014 08:17 #50 by Blazer Bob
The times they are a changing. (Bob Dylan?)

http://www.telegram.com/article/2014010 ... source=rss

..."In a measure of just how quickly the oil market has changed, President Barack Obama unveiled in March 2011 a goal considered so outrageous that correspondent Christopher Mims wrote on the environmental news website Grist that it could be accomplished only by "an economic crash bigger than any ever seen in U.S. history, or perhaps an alien race forcing all of us to take to our bicycles." Obama said that by 2025 the U.S. would cut crude imports by one-third.

It didn't take 14 years. It took less than three.

End Restrictions

The country is so flush with crude that imports are plunging and drillers are challenging export limits imposed after the 1973 Arab oil embargo. Murkowski, the top Republican on the Senate Energy Committee, called on Obama yesterday to end restrictions and vowed to introduce legislation if he doesn't.

Easing controls would have been unthinkable just three years ago, when uprisings in Arab countries such as Libya pushed crude prices over $100, said Philip Verleger, a former director of the office of energy policy at the Treasury Department and founder of the Aspen, Colorado-based consultant PKVerleger LLC.

The boom has been led by drilling in the Permian Basin in West Texas and the oil-rich Bakken shale, which stretches from North Dakota into Montana and Canada. "...

Time to create page: 0.164 seconds