Hobby Lobby Birth Control Case at Supreme Court

25 Mar 2014 14:21 #21 by Cathy_Lee
The ACA includes an individual mandate that requires people to purchase insurance, there's nothing in the law that requires their employers to provide it. But if a company does provide a plan, it must cover most forms of birth control, including the emergency contraception Plan B and Ella. If Hobby Lobby wants to avoid having its insurance plan cover these sorts of drugs, it can simply drop its insurance plan, pay a modest tax, and let employees buy their own plans on the insurance exchanges. (To be nice, the company could raise their pay to cover the cost of the insurance.) As government social programs go, the ACA has a pretty light touch.

http://www.motherjones.com/mojo/2014/03 ... eth-martin

I'm not sure what all the fuss is about.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

25 Mar 2014 14:43 #22 by FredHayek

Cathy_Lee wrote: The ACA includes an individual mandate that requires people to purchase insurance, there's nothing in the law that requires their employers to provide it. But if a company does provide a plan, it must cover most forms of birth control, including the emergency contraception Plan B and Ella. If Hobby Lobby wants to avoid having its insurance plan cover these sorts of drugs, it can simply drop its insurance plan, pay a modest tax, and let employees buy their own plans on the insurance exchanges. (To be nice, the company could raise their pay to cover the cost of the insurance.) As government social programs go, the ACA has a pretty light touch.

http://www.motherjones.com/mojo/2014/03 ... eth-martin

I'm not sure what all the fuss is about.

Light touch? In your eyes. US courts, Forbes.com, or American bishops probably have a different opinion.

Thomas Sowell: There are no solutions, just trade-offs.

25 Mar 2014 18:02 #23 by Unpopular Poster
Replied by Unpopular Poster on topic Hobby Lobby Birth Control Case at Supreme Court

FredHayek wrote: VL will find out how Obama intends to screw his union stooges when his Cadillac plan starts getting taxed.

Yeah, we'll see, me and my union brothers still have a voice- You don't.

[youtube:194324ez]
[/youtube:194324ez]

25 Mar 2014 18:14 - 26 Mar 2014 10:05 #24 by Unpopular Poster
Replied by Unpopular Poster on topic Hobby Lobby Birth Control Case at Supreme Court

Cathy_Lee wrote: I'm not sure what all the fuss is about.

Clap Clap Clap

You can say that about any issue the right wing freaks out about..

There's been a lot of revolts in the history of humanity but never has there been one over people getting something valuable from their government, something that we all need, like Healthcare. This can only occur when corporate interests own the government and the media. Add in an ignorant overworked population, and we're nothing more than cattle. Corporate Americas useful idiots like Fred and Blazer Bob

25 Mar 2014 21:15 #25 by FredHayek
How will the Supremes decide? I am guessing ACA will pull it out in a narrow 5-4 decision.

26 Mar 2014 11:16 #26 by Reverend Revelant

ScienceChic wrote: I previously mentioned Hobby Lobby and their efforts to be able to refuse offering birth control coverage under the ACA.

[snip][snip][snip]

Sc,

I was still hoping for an answer from you to the question I asked at the very beginning of this thread.

What birth control?

Waiting for Armageddon since 33 AD

26 Mar 2014 11:26 #27 by FredHayek

Vice Lord wrote:

Cathy_Lee wrote: I'm not sure what all the fuss is about.

Clap Clap Clap

You can say that about any issue the right wing freaks out about..

There's been a lot of revolts in the history of humanity but never has there been one over people getting something valuable from their government, something that we all need, like Healthcare. This can only occur when corporate interests own the government and the media. Add in an ignorant overworked population, and we're nothing more than cattle. Corporate Americas useful idiots like Fred and Blazer Bob

VL,
We both had good healthcare before Pelosi and Reid had to write this monstrosity. America's deductibles are rising, their options are falling, and government is expanding their power.
You have fallen for the empty promises. If ACA is so good, dump your union plan and go on the exchanges.

26 Mar 2014 13:42 #28 by Cathy_Lee
The exchanges are private health care providers offering health insurance just like they did before Obamacare. Only now they can't exclude people. They are still in it for the money, just like before.

26 Mar 2014 13:56 #29 by Photo-fish

Reverend Revelant wrote:

ScienceChic wrote: I previously mentioned Hobby Lobby and their efforts to be able to refuse offering birth control coverage under the ACA.

[snip][snip][snip]

Sc,

I was still hoping for an answer from you to the question I asked at the very beginning of this thread.

What birth control?

Google is your friend.

The 4 types of contraceptives at issue before the court are the emergency contraceptives Plan B and Ella, and two IUDs. The Hobby Lobby owners say they believe life begins at conception, and they oppose only birth control methods that can prevent implantation of a fertilized egg in the uterus, but not other forms of contraception. There is dispute over whether any of these contraceptives works by preventing implantation.

´¯`•.. ><((((º>`•´¯`•...¸><((((º> ´¯`•.. ><((((º>`´¯`•...¸><((((º>´¯`•.. ><((((º>`•´¯`•...¸><((((º> ´¯`•.. ><((((º>`•.´¯`•...¸><((((º>

26 Mar 2014 13:59 #30 by Photo-fish
Somewhat off topic:
Does Hobby Lobby cover vasectomies, boner pills and penis pumps for their male employees of spouses of their female employees?

´¯`•.. ><((((º>`•´¯`•...¸><((((º> ´¯`•.. ><((((º>`´¯`•...¸><((((º>´¯`•.. ><((((º>`•´¯`•...¸><((((º> ´¯`•.. ><((((º>`•.´¯`•...¸><((((º>

Time to create page: 0.172 seconds