Hobby Lobby Birth Control Case at Supreme Court

26 Mar 2014 14:01 #31 by ScienceChic
Thank you PF, that covers it. Sorry RR, been swamped with taxes and invoices leaving little time for fun stuff on here!

"Now, more than ever, the illusions of division threaten our very existence. We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another as if we were one single tribe.” -King T'Challa, Black Panther

The truth is incontrovertible. Malice may attack it. ignorance may deride it, but in the end, there it is. ~Winston Churchill

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

26 Mar 2014 14:11 #32 by PrintSmith

Cathy_Lee wrote: The ACA includes an individual mandate that requires people to purchase insurance, there's nothing in the law that requires their employers to provide it. But if a company does provide a plan, it must cover most forms of birth control, including the emergency contraception Plan B and Ella. If Hobby Lobby wants to avoid having its insurance plan cover these sorts of drugs, it can simply drop its insurance plan, pay a modest tax, and let employees buy their own plans on the insurance exchanges. (To be nice, the company could raise their pay to cover the cost of the insurance.) As government social programs go, the ACA has a pretty light touch.

http://www.motherjones.com/mojo/2014/03 ... eth-martin

I'm not sure what all the fuss is about.

The fuss is about the government requiring a privately held corporation to leave their religion at home. Hobby Lobby's owners do not allow the stores to be open on Sundays because of their religious beliefs. Think the government should have the power to tell them they have to open their doors on that day or be taxed for failing to do so?

We are not talking about a publicly traded company with thousands or millions of stockholders here, we are talking about a closely held private company operated in a manner consistent with the faith of those who own the corporation. Not even the most radical of leftists would begin to say that corporations do not have religious protection rights because that is precisely what most churches, synagogues, mosques and other places of worship are.

Can the government write a law that says all delis must offer pork products? Of course not, doing so would subject those of certain faiths to have to conduct business under conditions which violated their ability to exercise their religion in accordance with their conscience.

In 1993, under then President Bill Clinton, there was a law passed, the Religious Freedom Restoration Act, which prohibited the government from doing precisely what the ACA has done in this instance. The RFRA has not been repealed, which means it must be complied with. Even to tax a business for failing to operate in a manner which the owners have religious objections can be interpreted as a punitive measure on the free exercise of religion. The power to tax necessarily contains the power to destroy. The government may not tax you for exercising your constitutionally protected right to the free exercise of your religion.

That's what the fuss is all about.

26 Mar 2014 14:34 #33 by Unpopular Poster
Replied by Unpopular Poster on topic Hobby Lobby Birth Control Case at Supreme Court

Cathy_Lee wrote: The exchanges are private health care providers offering health insurance just like they did before Obamacare. Only now they can't exclude people. They are still in it for the money, just like before.

I like you, and Fred, you had a junk policy before- As soon as you got cancer they could, and would have dumped you..The game was rigged

26 Mar 2014 18:27 #34 by Arlen
So the liberals now concede that abortion is a form of birth control. That is a very big admission.
The Green family is not against contrception, but they are against abortion (which the morning after pill induces.)
Liberals really should be honest in how they frame this argument.

26 Mar 2014 18:45 #35 by Reverend Revelant

Arlen wrote: So the liberals now concede that abortion is a form of birth control. That is a very big admission.
The Green family is not against contrception, but they are against abortion (which the morning after pill induces.)

That was the answer I was hoping someone would point out (I rarely ask questions I don't have already have the answer to).

The proposition of this thread "I previously mentioned Hobby Lobby and their efforts to be able to refuse offering birth control coverage under the ACA. It's now at the Supreme Court and there's an account of the proceedings here from Think Progress which is attending" is a bit (a lot?) misleading.

Hobby Lobby is concerned with abortifacients ONLY. Hobby Lobby already offers coverage for 16 forms of birth control.

Waiting for Armageddon since 33 AD

26 Mar 2014 18:51 #36 by Unpopular Poster
Replied by Unpopular Poster on topic Hobby Lobby Birth Control Case at Supreme Court

Arlen wrote: So the liberals now concede that abortion is a form of birth control. That is a very big admission.

If its not a form of birth control then what the hell is it? Of course it is, and a its a dam good one too!

26 Mar 2014 19:17 #37 by FredHayek

Photo-fish wrote: Somewhat off topic:
Does Hobby Lobby cover vasectomies, boner pills and penis pumps for their male employees of spouses of their female employees?

Who cares? This is about being forced to pay for abortions or products that produce abortions. This isn't about sex. No one is trying to outlaw contraception.

Thomas Sowell: There are no solutions, just trade-offs.

26 Mar 2014 19:26 #38 by Unpopular Poster

FredHayek wrote:

Photo-fish wrote: Somewhat off topic:
Does Hobby Lobby cover vasectomies, boner pills and penis pumps for their male employees of spouses of their female employees?

Who cares? This is about being forced to pay for abortions or products that produce abortions. This isn't about sex. No one is trying to outlaw contraception.

Like someone thinks Hobby Lobby could possibly outlaw something? Hobby Lobby would be paying for health insurance, they won't be writing any checks to abortion clinics

26 Mar 2014 19:46 #39 by FredHayek

Vice Lord wrote:

Cathy_Lee wrote: The exchanges are private health care providers offering health insurance just like they did before Obamacare. Only now they can't exclude people. They are still in it for the money, just like before.

I like you, and Fred, you had a junk policy before- As soon as you got cancer they could, and would have dumped you..The game was rigged

Really? I know plenty of people who got cancer and kept their insurance.

Thomas Sowell: There are no solutions, just trade-offs.

26 Mar 2014 19:53 - 26 Mar 2014 20:32 #40 by Unpopular Poster

FredHayek wrote:

Vice Lord wrote:

Really? I know plenty of people who got cancer and kept their insurance.

Well, maybe they didn't have a junk policy but "THE MILLIONS" that "LOST" their policies did... Thats why they lost them, they became illegal. It was a racket

Obama is not going to let you get fleeced no matter how much you insist on it, Fred

Time to create page: 0.161 seconds