Donald Sterling Clipper NBA Team Owner Makes Racist Comment

29 Apr 2014 09:38 #41 by homeagain
For those who are curious....the Press Conference is scheduled for 2PM EST....(NOON here)
I will be watching, because THIS insidious ignorance is ALWAYS just below the surface, simmering like a pot of water.....after all it is Politically Correct to be TWO FACED.....it NEVER
stops :smackshead:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

29 Apr 2014 10:13 #42 by Mary Scott

FredHayek wrote: The NBA is having a press conference today about Sterling. I wonder what the punishment will be. Maybe he will have to transfer the team to his wife, or maybe just an indefinite suspension until this goes away.

Punish him for what he said? That sounds like a really bad idea. No matter how repugnant what he said is, it's still free speech.

I would say the very appropriate visceral response to his words have let him know that he should learn to keep some of his thoughts to himself. And if he were to keep saying idiotic things, his team will be toast. Can't have a team if no one will attend the games, or play for him, for that matter.

29 Apr 2014 10:19 #43 by FredHayek

Mary Scott wrote:

FredHayek wrote: The NBA is having a press conference today about Sterling. I wonder what the punishment will be. Maybe he will have to transfer the team to his wife, or maybe just an indefinite suspension until this goes away.

Punish him for what he said? That sounds like a really bad idea. No matter how repugnant what he said is, it's still free speech.

I would say the very appropriate visceral response to his words have let him know that he should learn to keep some of his thoughts to himself. And if he were to keep saying idiotic things, his team will be toast. Can't have a team if no one will attend the games, or play for him, for that matter.

You can say pretty much anything you want, but you must be ready for the response.

Thomas Sowell: There are no solutions, just trade-offs.

29 Apr 2014 10:29 #44 by Blazer Bob

FredHayek wrote:

Mary Scott wrote:

You can say pretty much anything you want, but you must be ready for the response.

So far.

"Man-made climate change happens. Man-made climate change kills a lot of people. It's going to kill a lot more. We have laws on the books to punish anyone whose lies contribute to people's deaths. It's time to punish the climate-change liars."...

http://gawker.com/arrest-climate-change ... 1553719888

29 Apr 2014 11:56 #45 by Ashley
He is worth billions. Do you really think he cares what they do to him? $2 million or any kind of fine is a drop in the bucket. And so the sponsors leave, he will just sell to Oprah or someone else and everything will be just fine. Sponsors will be back. No skin off his nose.

29 Apr 2014 12:06 #46 by FredHayek
5 million dollar fine and suspended from going to the games or being involved with the team.
Sterling has a reputation for going to court early and often. Will he fight this? And will he continue going to games while fighting the court battle. Right now the Clippers are better than they have ever been.

29 Apr 2014 12:22 #47 by Something the Dog Said
NBA really dropped the hammer on him, everything that they could possible hit him with. He gets to keep ownership for now unless 2/3 of owners vote to strip him of it. No management decisions, can not even enter the team facilities. He may choose to litigate it, but it will be a losing battle for an old man. NBA has the power to maintain the integrity of its brand and chose to exercise it.

"Remember to always be yourself. Unless you can be batman. Then always be batman." Unknown

29 Apr 2014 12:24 #48 by Something the Dog Said
It will be interesting to see if this will pressure the NFL to make changes to the racially derogatory Washington team.

"Remember to always be yourself. Unless you can be batman. Then always be batman." Unknown

29 Apr 2014 12:26 #49 by FredHayek
Not that he doesn't deserve it, but they did come down hardcore on the man.
But it sounds like both the NBA and NAACP knew he was this way for years and they let him stay. Enablers?

29 Apr 2014 12:28 #50 by Ashley
Ok 5 million, still a drop in the bucket. Best time for him to sell.

I can see him being deprived of involvement with the team but can they suspend him from going to the games?

Frankly I hope he fights it as his right to freedom of speech. Not every businessperson can do that. He was having a private conversation not even talking in public.

NSA going to go after all our private conversations where we say what we really feel?

Look forward to observing how Sterling handles this.

Time to create page: 0.181 seconds