Donald Sterling Clipper NBA Team Owner Makes Racist Comment

29 Apr 2014 14:02 #61 by Ashley
I mentioned business/franchise because if you are the sole owner of business, nonfranchised, an employer wouldn't necessarily be looking at your behavior, only your customers, unless you decide to get a future job. Don't mean to make it confusing.

I don't think people realize then how detrimental anything said anywhere can be if you are still in the work force.

Based on Sterling, it doesn't even seem to matter if you are having a private conversation, it can be used against you.

homeagain wrote:

Ashley wrote: Just listened to a delayed taping of the Commissioner's Speech. Looks like Sterling agreed to certain conditions when he joined the NBA so I don't see how he can fight the issues.

If he refuses to sell, the NBA can force a sale, so it would be in his best interests to sell and get the sponsors back.

I still don't see it as any skin off his nose as he can just turn around and buy another team in another sport unless they have some condition that says previous bad behavior is reviewed?

In other thoughts, it makes me wonder then when you own a business (franchise) or work for a business whether they look at previous or current public or private behavior before hiring or continuing your work?

So everything said on a site like this one is open and available to current and potential employers I would think?

Altho I have been retired for awhile (well before Facebook came into existence)....the bolded
is confusing to me....even in retirement mode,I KNOW your entire life is readily available to
review (to ANYONE who cares to put forth the effort).....employers,organizations that are
considering you for hire,for membership are ABSOLUTELY utilizing any avenue to get an
understanding of just who "you" are....there is NO privacy if you are on any social media
venue.....I believe that most people are "stunned" when they truly understand the ramifications
of their "sharing"....JMO

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

29 Apr 2014 14:07 #62 by FredHayek
Lifetime ban? He is over 80 years old, so that probably doesn't mean a lot.
And the last sports owner given a lifetime ban? George Steinbrenner, but it was later rescinded.

Thomas Sowell: There are no solutions, just trade-offs.

29 Apr 2014 16:16 #63 by Something the Dog Said
According to some reports, if Sterling fights the NBA on selling the Clippers, the NBA has the right to terminate his ownership, pay him some nominal amount, and split the profits on the sale between the other 29 owners. Also, he has no legal standing to take the NBA to court, as he agreed to binding arbitration when he purchased the team. And in arbitration, evidence that would normally be barred as illegal may be considered, such as illegally recorded conversations. So it sounds like Mr. Sterling will be selling the team in the near future. The irony of this is the leading candidate to purchase the Clippers is Magic Johnson, the individual in the Instagram with his girlfriend which had Sterling so upset.

"Remember to always be yourself. Unless you can be batman. Then always be batman." Unknown

29 Apr 2014 16:47 #64 by homeagain

Something the Dog Said wrote: According to some reports, if Sterling fights the NBA on selling the Clippers, the NBA has the right to terminate his ownership, pay him some nominal amount, and split the profits on the sale between the other 29 owners. Also, he has no legal standing to take the NBA to court, as he agreed to binding arbitration when he purchased the team. And in arbitration, evidence that would normally be barred as illegal may be considered, such as illegally recorded conversations. So it sounds like Mr. Sterling will be selling the team in the near future. The irony of this is the leading candidate to purchase the Clippers is Magic Johnson, the individual in the Instagram with his girlfriend which had Sterling so upset.

[/b]

The bolded....another way to look at this.....a BALANCING of energy...Karma.

29 Apr 2014 21:09 #65 by FredHayek
Initially it was thought Sterling would sue but now it looks like Silver, another attorney, has all his ducks in a row and Donald will go quietly.

30 Apr 2014 08:51 #66 by OmniScience
Does anyone think he would have faced less punishment if he actually comitted a crime? Had he raped someone or embezzled a couple million would the consequences been less severe?

If he doesn't go on his own, the owners will vote him out. He's toast.

30 Apr 2014 09:16 #67 by FredHayek
Good question. The Colts owner was busted driving drugged and with drugs in his possesion, but since he is more likeable, he just had to go to treatment. He could have killed people with his actions.
Which was worse?

30 Apr 2014 10:01 #68 by Ashley
Come on Fred, he had an opinion that wasn't politically correct, never mind he said it in private. A white man has to be punished.

Now how about we expose some of Jesse Jackson's very racist remarks about whites. Oh, that will slide under the table. He was oppressed and doesn't know any better?

Did you see how the tv news was all over it and nary a word about the White House knowing about the Benghazi issue? A smoking gun comes out and not a word.

30 Apr 2014 10:07 #69 by LadyJazzer
How cute.... Got to use "Benghazi" in a sentence... Well, when you have nothing else...

Go for "IRS" and you can get a two-fer.....

...And the clown-parade continues....

#tooinformedtovoterepublican

30 Apr 2014 10:21 #70 by FredHayek
Will rich billionaire owners start having to pat down their GF's for wires before making pillow talk?

Time to create page: 0.169 seconds