Donald Sterling Clipper NBA Team Owner Makes Racist Comment

29 Apr 2014 12:34 #51 by FredHayek
Sell the team? Possibly get a billion dollars from the sale, 20% capital games tax. 200 million to the Feds?
California also gets some of that too.
And all done with a tape that isn't legally admissable in court.

And will the owners force him to sell? Need 75% of the owners to vote to make him sell the team. Think they want to set a precedent that they can be forced to sell their teams based on an illegal taping?

Thomas Sowell: There are no solutions, just trade-offs.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

29 Apr 2014 12:45 #52 by Something the Dog Said

Ashley wrote: Ok 5 million, still a drop in the bucket. Best time for him to sell.

I can see him being deprived of involvement with the team but can they suspend him from going to the games?

Frankly I hope he fights it as his right to freedom of speech. Not every businessperson can do that. He was having a private conversation not even talking in public.

NSA going to go after all our private conversations where we say what we really feel?

Look forward to observing how Sterling handles this.

This had nothing to do with free speech. No one is preventing this racist from making any remarks that he desires to make. He can say whatever he likes to whomever he likes. It is just that there are consequences to any action, including speech. The NBA decided that his actions tarnish the multi-billion dollar brand, and this was necessary to protect their brand and their investment. Mr. Sterling signed off on the power of the NBA to take such action when he agreed to the terms and conditions of the league constitution.

"Remember to always be yourself. Unless you can be batman. Then always be batman." Unknown

29 Apr 2014 12:50 #53 by FredHayek
Good points Dog,
Damage the brand and you have to go.
Sterling would watch the games at center court, liked being the center of attention, I don't think it would ever be safe doing that again.

29 Apr 2014 12:50 #54 by LadyJazzer
His offense was not a criminal act; nor a civil matter for a court. So the whole "inadmissable in court" thing is irrelevant.

He may be the owner of the team, but he reports to a higher authority: the NBA, and the NBA Owner's Association. This isn't a "freedom of speech" issue. Once the tape got out and into the public, it was an issue that had to be dealt with, and the conversation specifically revolved around the "team politics" that he was trying to enforce.

You have freedom of speech--until it runs up against the "boss", or in this case, the League and the Owners, and the League Constitution--which he signed. Same way you have freedom of speech as a broadcaster--until the suits in the front-office say you've crossed a line...And then you don't have a job any more.

Lifetime total ban... Not just from Clipper's property, but ALL NBA games, practices, owner's meetings, team meetings, and properties.
Fine (either $2.5 million or $5 million, depending on the source)...
Must sell the team... It's already in the governing rules that if 3/4 of the owner's vote for it, it's done. They won't have any problem getting 3/4 of the owners.

Boy, they just don't make plantations like they used to. I'm sure he's wondering why he can't sit on the porch with a mint julep and watch "de oberseers" put the team through their paces.

29 Apr 2014 12:59 #55 by homeagain
:clap: :clap: Commisioner Silver's demeanor/speech was a HUMAN RESPONSE to this sad saga
and setting the bar as an example of what it means to STAND and SPEAK OUT against racism/
discrimination......(by the way...hiding behind a "free speech" stance is despicable and cowardly)

JMO.....The NBA NOW is required to do some self-examination (owners, players alike)....because
this has been on-going and pervasive,BUT "on the down low".....

I am NOT a sports fan, but I have immense RESPECT for this NEW Commissioner Silver and his
calm, but decisive demeanor....a straight up person..... :clap: :clap:

29 Apr 2014 13:02 #56 by LadyJazzer
Well said...

:YeahThat:

29 Apr 2014 13:33 #57 by Ashley
Just listened to a delayed taping of the Commissioner's Speech. Looks like Sterling agreed to certain conditions when he joined the NBA so I don't see how he can fight the issues.

If he refuses to sell, the NBA can force a sale, so it would be in his best interests to sell and get the sponsors back.

I still don't see it as any skin off his nose as he can just turn around and buy another team in another sport unless they have some condition that says previous bad behavior is reviewed?

In other thoughts, it makes me wonder then when you own a business (franchise) or work for a business whether they look at previous or current public or private behavior before hiring or continuing your work?

So everything said on a site like this one is open and available to current and potential employers I would think?

29 Apr 2014 13:36 #58 by FredHayek

Ashley wrote: Just listened to a delayed taping of the Commissioner's Speech. Looks like Sterling agreed to certain conditions when he joined the NBA so I don't see how he can fight the issues.

If he refuses to sell, the NBA can force a sale, so it would be in his best interests to sell and get the sponsors back.

I still don't see it as any skin off his nose as he can just turn around and buy another team in another sport unless they have some condition that says previous bad behavior is reviewed?

In other thoughts, it makes me wonder then when you own a business (franchise) or work for a business whether they look at previous or current public or private behavior before hiring or continuing your work?

So everything said on a site like this one is open and available to current and potential employers I would think?

I doubt any other reputable league or business would let him buy in after his remarks.
He will be a pariah for a long time.

29 Apr 2014 13:53 #59 by Something the Dog Said
Many employers are now requiring access to employee Facebook accounts, and other social media as a condition of employment.

"Remember to always be yourself. Unless you can be batman. Then always be batman." Unknown

29 Apr 2014 13:54 #60 by homeagain

Ashley wrote: Just listened to a delayed taping of the Commissioner's Speech. Looks like Sterling agreed to certain conditions when he joined the NBA so I don't see how he can fight the issues.

Altho I have been retired for awhile (well before Facebook came into existence)....the bolded
is confusing to me....even in retirement mode,I KNOW your entire life is readily available to
review (to ANYONE who cares to put forth the effort).....employers,organizations that are
considering you for hire,for membership are ABSOLUTELY utilizing any avenue to get an
understanding of just who "you" are....there is NO privacy if you are on any social media
venue.....I believe that most people are "stunned" when they truly understand the ramifications
of their "sharing"....JMO

Time to create page: 0.175 seconds