Gotta wonder......

01 Dec 2014 14:49 #101 by ZHawke
Replied by ZHawke on topic Gotta wonder......

PrintSmith wrote: You didn't ask an answerable question Z. More valid to whom? The person holding the perspective, to me, to you, or to the truth? The validity of the perspective is dependent upon its tether to reason. An irrational perspective isn't a valid one to anyone other than those who are themselves irrational.

I'm sure that the woman's perspective on race is valid in her view, but does it have sufficient reasoning sustaining it that it has validity outside of that individual realm? I believe the answer to that question can be found in the headline she assigned to it, why her perspective might be so, which leaves open the very real possibility that her perspective might not be so as well.

The maintenance man might not have asked questions, but did she provide reasons why she needed to be let into the apartment? Was the key she had in her possession recognizable to the maintenance man as being issued by the complex in some way that lent credibility to her request? Does her not ever seeing him before necessarily rule out him seeing her before in the company of the occupants of the apartment? Did the man know the occupants were getting married? Had they let the man know they left a key with a friend of theirs and provided a description prior to their departure with a request to assist her if she experienced problems? There are, therefore, many reasons why her perspective might not be valid overall when she describes that episode that I have only scratched the surface of here. I don't believe she is misrepresenting her perspective of the event, but that is quite a different thing from assigning to it a general validity.

Well, I'll be doggoned......you holding yourself to the very same standard of having an "unanswerable" question directed at you as I've had directed at me so many times in The Courthouse.

I asked a direct question, and, once again, you deflected.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

01 Dec 2014 16:49 #102 by PrintSmith
Replied by PrintSmith on topic Gotta wonder......
And I replied that the question was too generic for a specific response. If you wish a specific response, ask a specific question. You are asked specifically for your views on specific questions and decide you will not be painted into a corner, I don't have similar reservations. If you want to know if I view my perspective is more valid on a specific topic, then tailor your question accordingly and you will receive an answer. Generally speaking, when a perspective is based on feelings rather than rooted in reason I look at it for what it is, an individual perspective based more on emotion than reason.

01 Dec 2014 16:52 #103 by ZHawke

PrintSmith wrote: And I replied that the question was too generic for a specific response. If you wish a specific response, ask a specific question. You are asked specifically for your views on specific questions and decide you will not be painted into a corner, I don't have similar reservations. If you want to know if I view my perspective is more valid on a specific topic, then tailor your question accordingly and you will receive an answer. Generally speaking, when a perspective is based on feelings rather than rooted in reason I look at it for what it is, an individual perspective based more on emotion than reason.

And, once again, a deflection, P. Answer the question posed.

01 Dec 2014 17:47 #104 by HEARTLESS
Replied by HEARTLESS on topic Gotta wonder......
I have wondered. I have pondered. Now someone please tell me what it is that will make these situations better. Is it to get free passes for minorities that commit crimes, because as long as I breath no one committing crimes gets a free pass from me regardless of color. I keep seeing BS feel good terms that mean nothing. So what is it that needs to be done? And for the record, we live in a world of cameras already and it hasn't changed things much. So why spend our money on more cameras?

The silent majority will be silent no more.

01 Dec 2014 18:05 #105 by ZHawke

HEARTLESS wrote: I have wondered. I have pondered. Now someone please tell me what it is that will make these situations better. Is it to get free passes for minorities that commit crimes, because as long as I breath no one committing crimes gets a free pass from me regardless of color. I keep seeing BS feel good terms that mean nothing. So what is it that needs to be done? And for the record, we live in a world of cameras already and it hasn't changed things much. So why spend our money on more cameras?

I don't have the answer. Why don't you enlighten us?

01 Dec 2014 18:40 #106 by HEARTLESS

ZHawke wrote:

HEARTLESS wrote: I have wondered. I have pondered. Now someone please tell me what it is that will make these situations better. Is it to get free passes for minorities that commit crimes, because as long as I breath no one committing crimes gets a free pass from me regardless of color. I keep seeing BS feel good terms that mean nothing. So what is it that needs to be done? And for the record, we live in a world of cameras already and it hasn't changed things much. So why spend our money on more cameras?

Ahh! The usual smart a$$ answer from the person that started the thread.

01 Dec 2014 18:47 #107 by ZHawke

HEARTLESS wrote:

ZHawke wrote:

Ahh! The usual smart a$$ answer from the person that started the thread.

Ahh! The usual smart a$$ answer from a person who got involved in the thread by posting what they did.

Read your own post. I simply asked you to "enlighten us" on what will make the situation better.

01 Dec 2014 19:12 #108 by HEARTLESS
Okay. No one owes any of the people discussed here anything. We still live in the land of opportunity. The only way to starve or even go hungry is to wait around expecting handouts. Stop committing crimes and fewer by far will die at the hands of the police. Utilize libraries and the internet and figure where to plant gardens, raise chickens, etc. Become more self sufficient and don't expect the government to help as they want dependent citizens. When people prosper from their own hard work, they earn respect. Respect isn't given, it is earned. All useful people have value, criminals not so much. Get involved helping others succeed when you already have.

The following user(s) said Thank You: Rick

01 Dec 2014 21:04 #109 by ZHawke
Okay. Let's talk, then, about "racism without racists". this article lays it out pretty well, IMO.

edition.cnn.com/2014/11/26/us/ferguson-r...cial-bias/index.html

02 Dec 2014 10:05 #110 by PrintSmith
Replied by PrintSmith on topic Gotta wonder......
An interesting concept to keep the idea that our society remains a rampantly racist one and perpetuate the existence of a "victim" class is what I take away from it at first blush.

Time to create page: 0.374 seconds