Damned if you do and damned if you don't.

09 Apr 2015 10:34 #111 by PrintSmith
Actually, Brandon, it is not shocking to me at all that judges, politicians and others are more interested in controlling other people than they are in ensuring that the rights of the individual are protected.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

09 Apr 2015 10:43 #112 by Brandon
Because they're incapable of reasoning, which in the fantasy world you inhabit is the same thing as agreeing with you. B)

09 Apr 2015 11:02 #113 by PrintSmith
Fine Brandon, explain for all of us the similarities between walking into a restaurant to order a meal for immediate consumption and hiring a caterer to serve 50 people at a party 3 months from now. I'm willing to bet that I can cite twice as many ways in which they differ than you can cite in how they are similar.

I'll even help you get started - both involve people eating . . .

09 Apr 2015 11:08 #114 by Brandon
A reasonable person would recall that the subject of this thread is the Azucar bakery stunt, not a hypothetical caterer. B)

09 Apr 2015 11:11 #115 by PrintSmith
Ahhh, but I agree with the Azucar Bakery decision Brandon; and the same reasoning that was used to arrive at that decision, that the baker is the one who determines who gets to hire them in accordance with their own conscious, is the only reasoning that should be used in every instance.

09 Apr 2015 11:23 #116 by Brandon
Do you have documentary evidence that the reasoning behind the decision is as you describe it?

09 Apr 2015 11:48 #117 by PrintSmith
Well, clearly, Azucar bakery discriminated against the man wishing the bible shaped cakes with bible verses and imagery that was hostile to homosexual acts and people, it was simply not discrimination which the commission thought to be in violation of the law. It was lawful discrimination because the message the person seeking the cake wished violated her conscious, it was something that she found offensive and didn't wish to do. And she wouldn't have produced a cake with that offensive message that violated her conscious for anyone.

Same is actually true for Phillips and Masterpiece Cakeshop. The cake he was asked to produce violated his conscious and he wouldn't have produced that cake for anyone seeking to purchase it because it violated his conscious. Wouldn't have mattered if a heterosexual couple had requested the same cake for a homosexual wedding reception, he wouldn't have baked it for them either because it violated his conscious.

09 Apr 2015 12:01 #118 by Brandon
1. It's conscience.
2. I'm going to try to find a written rationale for the Azucar decision, since you didn't make it.

09 Apr 2015 12:03 #119 by jf1acai

con·scious
ˈkän(t)SHəs/
adjective
aware of and responding to one's surroundings; awake.
synonyms: aware, awake, alert, responsive, sentient, compos mentis
"the patient was conscious"
having knowledge of something; aware.
"we are conscious of the extent of the problem"
synonyms: aware, mindful, sensible; More
painfully aware of; sensitive to.
"he was very conscious of his appearance"

con·science
ˈkän(t)SHəns/
noun
an inner feeling or voice viewed as acting as a guide to the rightness or wrongness of one's behavior.
"he had a guilty conscience about his desires"
synonyms: sense of right and wrong, moral sense, inner voice;

Experience enables you to recognize a mistake when you make it again - Jeanne Pincha-Tulley

Comprehensive is Latin for there is lots of bad stuff in it - Trey Gowdy

09 Apr 2015 12:21 #120 by PrintSmith
I will be very conscious of that in the future so that my conscience will be clear.

See, I'm more than willing to admit errors when I make them. ;)

Time to create page: 0.176 seconds