Joe Biden's #metoo Past Crimes?

31 Mar 2019 09:14 #1 by FredHayek
Does his creepy behavior around women and young girls make him a poor choice for the Democrats in 2020? Or are you willing to forgive the former VP for his abuses and because right now has the best chance to beat President Trump in 2020?

Thomas Sowell: There are no solutions, just trade-offs.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

31 Mar 2019 11:07 #2 by homeagain
It goes so-o-o much deeper than that......jmo.....yes there are creepy characters who will take advantage/liberties that are NOT theirs to take. BUT, I think there is a certain element of
UNAWARENESS on behalf of many who are accused. (both male and female are to blame.)

What was once generally just good natured jest, is now considered offensive. The climate of cordial interaction, communication has changed....that has it's downside and it's upside.....I
would like to think we have a better understanding of racial slurs and just how abhorrent that is,I think that when it comes to the opposite sex.....there is confusion.

Back in the day (80,early 2000's)…..working in corp America with a bunch of com teks, mostly male, you had to have thick skin.....the F BOMB and general male humor was just a normal work day.....if you were female,you had two choices......accept and find humor in it OR attempt to transfer.....(problem STILL present)…..I just accepted the nature of the
beast and found FUBAR AND FM to be great descriptive phrases(fubar=fucked up beyond all recognition and FM....''it came clear like fucking magic'')….If someone declared" lookin' good'' you just smiled and maybe gave them the middle digit or a "I KNOW" nod....easy
peasy….. THAT has changed radically. I think males are seriously scratching their heads,
thinking WHATdid I do wrong?

31 Mar 2019 11:37 #3 by Blazer Bob

homeagain wrote: It goes so-o-o much deeper than that......jmo.....yes there are creepy characters who will take advantage/liberties that are NOT theirs to take. BUT, I think there is a certain element of
UNAWARENESS on behalf of many who are accused. (both male and female are to blame.)

What was once generally just good natured jest, is now considered offensive. The climate of cordial interaction, communication has changed....that has it's downside and it's upside.....I
would like to think we have a better understanding of racial slurs and just how abhorrent that is,I think that when it comes to the opposite sex.....there is confusion.

Back in the day (80,early 2000's)…..working in corp America with a bunch of com teks, mostly male, you had to have thick skin.....the F BOMB and general male humor was just a normal work day.....if you were female,you had two choices......accept and find humor in it OR attempt to transfer.....(problem STILL present)…..I just accepted the nature of the
beast and found FUBAR AND FM to be great descriptive phrases(fubar=fucked up beyond all recognition and FM....''it came clear like fucking magic'')….If someone declared" lookin' good'' you just smiled and maybe gave them the middle digit or a "I KNOW" nod....easy
peasy….. THAT has changed radically. I think males are seriously scratching their heads,
thinking WHATdid I do wrong?

The stars have aligned home. With out pickling nits, I agree with everything in your post. (of course I reserve and extend my remarks :-)

I would just add that the underlying problem is that present people think they have the right to judge past people by their own values and sensibilities. Just like looking down at other cultures for ethnocentric reasons it is just plain wrong.

31 Mar 2019 17:39 #4 by FredHayek
Great points made about changing social mores. And I also agree that it is unfair to judge someone by the standards of today for something they did twenty years. ago. But in Joe's case, I think his handlers needed to do a better job telling him to not invade women's personal space. He was doing this only a couple of years ago and it was creepy then. I am curious who President Obama will endorse. Or will he stay on the sidelines until the nominee is picked? I have to think he wants to influence the choice and I can't see him picking his old, loyal, vice president.

01 Apr 2019 12:51 #5 by parkcobound
I have to chime in here.... Fred you are a Trump supporter and you're going to call the Biden allegations creepy? if he did that, he is not who I thought he was, BUT and this is a huge BUT - Trump is on the access Hollywood tape talking about grabbing things he should not be grabbing - at least two serious allegations of paying off people to not talk about his ...um... indiscretions shall we say and you still support him. I personally think there probably are not many presidential candidates or actual presidents who do not have some scandalous skeletons in their closet. Am I OK with that ? no, but I am old and Homeagain has a serious point about how society has changed over the years. When my son was in middle school - 20 or so years ago - a wonderful teacher who all but a couple of people really loved was fired for putting his arm around one of the girls in class during a class project. I saw it as totally innocent, and from my son's perspective in class, it was not inappropriate touching, just a hand on her shoulder as they were watching the class built project go.... that being said, society has changed and realistically some of the more innocent stuff was not always innocent, and often taken advantage of because culture was different "back then" and that was not ok then either, it was just more widely accepted. Today, it seems like some people - certainly not all - take advantage of the new "touchy feely" (or really NON-touchy-feely) atmosphere to cause damage to peoples character for their own reasons. That also is not ok, and as a fellow female, I think that the overblown allegations and the false ones actually hurt the cause for more appropriate behavior. As in, if you are crying wolf, you do nothing but hurt the person you are alleging things against, hurt yourself, because the truth may very well come out and then you will not be trusted, AND you hurt all of the women who actually have been subjected to actual abuses.

That being said, I'm not a fan of the "me-too" movement, only because I know some of that is false. Bill Clinton certainly was a cad, I did vote for him, and I still think he did do some good things for this country during his tenure. He however, was caught red handed and should have fessed up. Many of our former politicians had mistresses, affairs, etc. I really do not care about that, mainly because I believe they have to live with themselves, and their wives - who may or may not really care.... but to ask if you can support someone or not support someone based on this type of allegations - I think I would need more information before making that call.

As an aside, I actually could care less about Trump's former what ever they are, or even if he has current ones. I think the comments about things he can grab if he wants speaks a lot about his character, and he is certainly no one I would care to keep company with. The issue for me there is the lying about it, and paying people off to not talk about it - just as it was with Bill Clinton and the lying there.

I don't care where they sleep, I would just like to see some honesty out of our politicians. Even if they make mistakes in governance, even if I do not always agree with their platform, I would like my leaders to lead based on well informed decisions, thorough research, intelligent, well educated aides and associates, who all have the constitution and the will of the people of the US at heart. Can I still support Biden, maybe, not really sure where I will be - obviously there are a TON on democrats jumping on the 2020 run. Some have some good ideas, some do not. will have to see where this goes I guess...

01 Apr 2019 16:36 #6 by FredHayek
I never voted for Trump. I supported Rand, and voted for Cruz as a delegate, and then went Libertarian for the general. And this isn't Trump versus Biden. This is Biden versus Beto, Harris, Hickenlooper, Warren, etc. There is speculation about which campaign is asking these women to come forth. So is it Sanders? Or Warren? Cory Booker?

01 Apr 2019 19:21 #7 by parkcobound
Sorry Fred, I had you pegged wrong for sure! And no we do not yet know who will even survive to the primaries...any political team could be promoting thus type if thing, and that is not new. I've seen several interesting documentaries on the details of the Nixon campaign and they employed often this type if thing as well as what we now call fake news. Politics is a dirty business all around, and has been for a long time. There are so many democrats with their hat in the ring I haven't even researched them all yet. The party has been in shambles since Kenedy with little direction or cohesiveness. I frequently like some of the independent s but realistically know they generally don't have a chance and therefore often just ensure a win for one of the main characters. Sometimes I get so disgusted with the politics getting in the way of policy that I don't even want to read anymore...then I remember that's one of the main problems with politics...people that do not educate themselves..truly, you cannot just watch the news.

01 Apr 2019 19:54 #8 by ramage
There are so many women suddenly coming out against Joe Biden, that you would think that Trump had just nominated him for the Supreme Court.
Tim Young
The following user(s) said Thank You: Blazer Bob

02 Apr 2019 05:30 #9 by Pony Soldier
The women are a problem for Biden, but I think if he doesn't bow down to whoever is fueling this campaign against him, the kids the he "sniffed" are going to start coming forward and then he's done in public life.

02 Apr 2019 07:43 #10 by homeagain

ramage wrote: There are so many women suddenly coming out against Joe Biden, that you would think that Trump had just nominated him for the Supreme Court.
Tim Young

I thought there were just the two.....when did OTHERS come forward? (I've been out of pocket for awhile when plugging into the news.)

Time to create page: 0.178 seconds