What is Racism?

07 Jan 2020 16:44 #21 by Pony Soldier
Replied by Pony Soldier on topic What is Racism?
Now that right there is really funny! You are going to school me on racism? You know nothing about me or who I am but you decide that you are more "woke" than anyone else on a subject that you know only from a movie. Give me a break.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

08 Jan 2020 07:02 #22 by homeagain
Replied by homeagain on topic What is Racism?
As with another poster, I have NO need to maintain a pissing match with you.....a MEANINGFUL
meeting of the minds OR even an ATTEMPT is obviously out of reach Have a nice life....

08 Jan 2020 18:15 #23 by Rick
Replied by Rick on topic What is Racism?

homeagain wrote:

towermonkey wrote: Lol. That made me laugh. “But I have a black friend.” Racism -poorly named as we are the human race- is alive and real. I think it would dissolve and go away if not perpetuated by constant pressure by media and famous personalities.

[/b]

YOUR bolded statement only magnifies the problem...myth and Misinformation.

I don't think you can say that is a myth unless you've been living in a cave. Have you ever watched Politics Nation, or how about AM Joy? Certain people in the media bash their viewers over the head with race this and race that and it's always one sided, as if only white people are racist (which in itself is racist).

Here's a question I've never been able to get a straight answer to...

Is there any context in which this would not be racist if it came out of Trump's mouth?

"She is a typical black person"

It was always the women, and above all the young ones, who were the most bigoted adherents of the Party, the swallowers of slogans, the amateur spies and nosers−out of unorthodoxy

George Orwell

09 Jan 2020 09:10 #24 by homeagain

Rick wrote:

homeagain wrote:

towermonkey wrote: Lol. That made me laugh. “But I have a black friend.” Racism -poorly named as we are the human race- is alive and real. I think it would dissolve and go away if not perpetuated by constant pressure by media and famous personalities.

[/b]

YOUR bolded statement only magnifies the problem...myth and Misinformation.

I don't think you can say that is a myth unless you've been living in a cave. Have you ever watched Politics Nation, or how about AM Joy? Certain people in the media bash their viewers over the head with race this and race that and it's always one sided, as if only white people are racist (which in itself is racist).

Here's a question I've never been able to get a straight answer to...

Is there any context in which this would not be racist if it came out of Trump's mouth?

"She is a typical black person"

[/b]

it is NOT the person,but the phrase.....implying racism

THIS is not a movie, but rather a recent history event...how soon it has been forgotten.
AFTER the incident, Oprah had a panel of black and white participants. 50/50 split.
The hour long segment became two hours and was presented in two shows

I watched the entire exchange, the striking scene was an eye opening experience.
The white panelists saw no wrong doing and were upset that the town was in upheaval, while the black panelists were attempting to be heard and understood. In the end, there was NO
empathy or attempt to come to a consensus. The situation was a stand off.

09 Jan 2020 10:29 #25 by Pony Soldier
Not too shocking that racism existed in Louisiana in 2006. My point was that it is receding, not gone. I think there is a vested political interest in dividing and setting groups against each other. I am quite aware of racism on an almost daily level in real life. I really don't have to go looking for examples on TV. I can see that you are trying to learn what you can about the issue via movies and TV, but real life is a much better teacher. In the south, even 20 years ago, a mixed race couple would be afraid to walk down the street. Now that is not the case. Racism is going away but it's recession is being slowed by vested interests.

09 Jan 2020 12:56 #26 by homeagain

towermonkey wrote: Not too shocking that racism existed in Louisiana in 2006. My point was that it is receding, not gone. I think there is a vested political interest in dividing and setting groups against each other. I am quite aware of racism on an almost daily level in real life. I really don't have to go looking for examples on TV. I can see that you are trying to learn what you can about the issue via movies and TV, but real life is a much better teacher. In the south, even 20 years ago, a mixed race couple would be afraid to walk down the street. Now that is not the case. Racism is going away but it's recession is being slowed by vested interests.

bolded.....thank you for that clarification. YES, I agree that the present environment has
fostered a festering problem. HOWEVER, from my pov, it was always there.....just below the surface and subtle signs that were noted, but not voiced.

2nd bolded...I live in a small town WITHOUT much diversity.....a while back I had the opportunity to volunteer my services and time to a national org. and was working long side
a young person of color. He was a quiet polite person and thru the course of our day together, I
spoke to him of the community and MY adjustment period coming from a large, diversified
location. He related to me that people had been very rude to him, in just the limited time
he had arrived. We spoke of the lack of exposure to people of color and the "community"
closed mindset......it was a good experience.

MY real life experiences have shown me that racism is alive and always present....just
NOT talked about....(until Facebook,soc media came into their own)

09 Jan 2020 19:47 #27 by Rick
Replied by Rick on topic What is Racism?

homeagain wrote:
MY real life experiences have shown me that racism is alive and always present....just
NOT talked about....(until Facebook,soc media came into their own)

You've been out of the workforce for a while I'm guessing, and I'm also guessing you do not live in a very diverse neighborhood like I do. I think some people hold on to past examples of racism even if they don't see it in person, TODAY

I live near and work with people of all races and ethnicities, and have for the last 20 years. I don't see what the worthless media and career race baiters are begging us to believe. Of course there will always be people who don't like other people because of their skin color, or sex, or political ideology, or religion... but there are people who want us to hate each other and those people should never have their own TV shows and should never be elected to represent their fellow Americans. I'm sick of this bullshit and hopefully the people that keep this hate alive will somehow get what they deserve.

It was always the women, and above all the young ones, who were the most bigoted adherents of the Party, the swallowers of slogans, the amateur spies and nosers−out of unorthodoxy

George Orwell

10 Jan 2020 05:50 #28 by Pony Soldier
That’s very true, especially Deep South stereotypes. There is still some lingering racism here but it is a pale reflection of the past rather than a way of life. I’ve seen it said on this board that everyone in the south harbors racism “just below the surface”. Nothing could be further from the truth. Some of these outdated stereotypes need to die in order to finally kill off racism.

10 Jan 2020 12:09 #29 by homeagain

towermonkey wrote: That’s very true, especially Deep South stereotypes. There is still some lingering racism here but it is a pale reflection of the past rather than a way of life. I’ve seen it said on this board that everyone in the south harbors racism “just below the surface”. Nothing could be further from the truth. Some of these outdated stereotypes need to die in order to finally kill off racism.

[/b]

REALLY? then let me pose a question to you......do YOU know what "the talk" is when a person
color states...."I had the talk with my YOUNG son"?

YES, I believe the situation is better than the 60's.....and MLK,marches, KKK, "colors only
entrance".......BUT, I believe YOU must have a representation of opinion from people of
color on boards like this.....THERE IS NONE.....so your claims can go UNchallenged. I am here to present " the other side"....AGAIN, what is the talk?

10 Jan 2020 12:23 #30 by Pony Soldier
HA, right around 1/4 of my family is black. I happen to have some pretty good insight into this. Sorry but I’m not going to play your games any more. You don’t know what you’re talking about, as usual.

Time to create page: 0.154 seconds