What is Racism?

10 Jan 2020 13:01 - 10 Jan 2020 13:13 #31 by homeagain
Replied by homeagain on topic What is Racism?

towermonkey wrote: HA, right around 1/4 of my family is black. I happen to have some pretty good insight into this. Sorry but I’m not going to play your games any more. You don’t know what you’re talking about, as usual.

[/b]

NOT a game......if 1/4 of your family is black,then "the talk' is standard protocol for protecting
your children....specifically young males.....PERHAPS YOUR ECONOMIC STATUS is a factor,
since you have stated you are in a very senior level of an organization.....$$$ has a way of
insulating life......sorry, I do KNOW what I am speaking of......at a middle/lower class level
the world is VERY different.

IF a person of color would post their thoughts.....and state I am wrong...THEN AND ONLY THEN
would I say my views were inaccurate.

dividedwefall.com/2019/07/16/a-conversat...UEAAYASAAEgK_C_D_BwE

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

10 Jan 2020 19:20 #32 by Rick
Replied by Rick on topic What is Racism?

homeagain wrote:

towermonkey wrote: That’s very true, especially Deep South stereotypes. There is still some lingering racism here but it is a pale reflection of the past rather than a way of life. I’ve seen it said on this board that everyone in the south harbors racism “just below the surface”. Nothing could be further from the truth. Some of these outdated stereotypes need to die in order to finally kill off racism.

[/b]

REALLY? then let me pose a question to you......do YOU know what "the talk" is when a person
color states...."I had the talk with my YOUNG son"?

YES, I believe the situation is better than the 60's.....and MLK,marches, KKK, "colors only
entrance".......BUT, I believe YOU must have a representation of opinion from people of
color on boards like this.....THERE IS NONE.....so your claims can go UNchallenged. I am here to present " the other side"....AGAIN, what is the talk?

Again, let me ask HA, what is your evidence other than what you hear from media talking heads and pandering politicians? Do you live in a diverse neighborhood where you see frequent acts of racism?

It was always the women, and above all the young ones, who were the most bigoted adherents of the Party, the swallowers of slogans, the amateur spies and nosers−out of unorthodoxy

George Orwell

11 Jan 2020 06:46 #33 by homeagain
RICK....if you had read my previous post regarding volunteering,you would NOT be posing this question.

But, let me site another example......a friend of many years recently got married (in her late 50's,)
Here last name is MONTOYA......she is white. Her husband had to educate her on HIS world.

They live in Grand Jct and were driving to the front range in a white van to pick up her remaining
stuff in storage. he told her that he would probably be stopped and interviewed by the police.....and they were...both going and returning.

ANOTHER example, they went to HOME DEPOT......finished their shopping and SHE started to exit out the contractors door,assuming he was following her.....he had to catch up with her,
because an employee had stopped him to examine his purchase....she was AGHAST, because
as a white person, she had NO experience in being profiled.....he then explained that going thru
the FRONT door was the best way to avoid the profiling.

Our OWN gov. just profiled legalized,card carrying legitimate AMERICAN citizens who were
traveling (business or personal) because of ethnicity(IRANIAN)....they were held for HOURS,
with no explanation or regard to their LEGAL STATUS. Babies needing food diapers, adults
frustrated because they could Not obtain answers.....just in limbo.....

PLEASE open your eyes, racism is present and for some posters to infer that it is minimal is
disingenuous,at best.

11 Jan 2020 08:04 #34 by Pony Soldier
Replied by Pony Soldier on topic What is Racism?
I believe I used the word “receding”, not minimal. Straw man much?

11 Jan 2020 08:17 #35 by homeagain
dividedwefall.com/2019/07/16/a-conversat...UEAAYASAAEgK_C_D_BwE

THIS BLACK person would disagree with your assessment......a voice of color.

Please see previous post for the link to appear......

11 Jan 2020 09:18 #36 by homeagain
www.aclu.org/know-your-rights/what-do-wh...ther-ports-entry-us/ ?

THIS is definitive and should be the protocol........please KNOW your rights.

11 Jan 2020 11:46 #37 by homeagain
www.theatlantic.com/ideas/archive/2020/0...oaches-color/604771/

I am NOT a football fan.....are these facts accurate? IF they are.....some RECONSIDERATION
of reality is certainly needed.

14 Jan 2020 07:15 #38 by homeagain
BECAUSE the topic is one of the hot buttons.....I will bump this burning question...I know
football fans are out there....HOW do you explain the exclusion,as shown in the article?

14 Jan 2020 19:29 #39 by Rick
Replied by Rick on topic What is Racism?

homeagain wrote: BECAUSE the topic is one of the hot buttons.....I will bump this burning question...I know
football fans are out there....HOW do you explain the exclusion,as shown in the article?

I gave up on watching football a couple years ago but I'd ask you the same question when it comes to the Democrat candidates who remain. Are Democrat voters just that racist or could it be that the candidates are picked because of their ideas, experience, and skillsets? I think this is a much more important question if skin color really is a determining factor for everything.

It was always the women, and above all the young ones, who were the most bigoted adherents of the Party, the swallowers of slogans, the amateur spies and nosers−out of unorthodoxy

George Orwell

14 Jan 2020 21:04 #40 by ScienceChic
Replied by ScienceChic on topic What is Racism?
Wait, what? What candidates have any voters actually chosen yet? We haven't even had a single caucus or primary, and both black and white candidates have dropped out of their own accord.

Have you looked at the demographics supporting Biden?

:idontgetit: :illogical: ROFL

As far as NFL team owners and the dearth of minorities in top-tier coaching positions; yes, it's an issue. The rule requiring owners to interview minorities has not translated into them actually hiring them as head coaches, even though there's plenty of players who have played the game just as long and are just as capable of running a team. Frankly, I think it's also ridiculous that there's only just now a woman hired as an assistant coach, and a couple around the table for sports shows (and not just on the sidelines, which also took forever to happen). Still none in the announcers booths.

Racism/sexism may be receding, but it won't go completely away without active pressure against it, the status quo is is what those in charge prefer, and change is usually difficult to accept. History tells that abundantly.

"Now, more than ever, the illusions of division threaten our very existence. We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another as if we were one single tribe.” -King T'Challa, Black Panther

The truth is incontrovertible. Malice may attack it. ignorance may deride it, but in the end, there it is. ~Winston Churchill

Time to create page: 0.172 seconds