GINSBURG GLANCED INTO THE FUTURE........

11 May 2022 13:04 #41 by homeagain

ramage wrote: Now you are talking about whether a physician accepts you as a patient, not that the procedure was unlawful.
"
Many centers used a formula (endorsed by the American College of Obstetricians and Gynecologists until 1969) in which age multiplied by parity had to be greater than or equal to 120 before elective sterilization could be considered. ......from the article."
How did a practice recommendation, rescinded in 1969, impact a tubal ligation done in 1973?

Thank you for pointing out the typographical error.
1947 + 26 = 1973

1st bolded.....it wasn't unlawful,it was frowned upon and out of date mind sets prevailed

2nd bolded....FOUR YEARS IS THE DIFFERENCE,THERE R MANY DOCTORS OUT THERE TODAY
THAT R NOT CURRENT AND ON TREND.......A LAW IN COLORADO WAS PASSED 6 YEARS AGO.
MAID IS LEGAL,BUT FINDING A DOCTOR TO ASSIST A DYING PATIENT,WHO REQUESTS MAID IS
NEXT TO IMPOSSIBLE.. FORWARD THINKING IS AN ART.....BEING CURRENT SHOULD BE A REQUIREMENT (by the way, the practice we r discussing was NOT rescinded,believe it when I tell u there r doctors who STILL will not do a tubal on a married woman who has several children....I know one woman who requested the procedure after her last delivery and was denied.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

11 May 2022 15:16 #42 by ramage
I am of the impression that you treat going to a physician similar to a trip to a beautician. The physician is under no obligation to do what you desire.
I am still curious as to the part of the U.S. where you had difficulty in obtaining a tubal ligation.

11 May 2022 19:08 #43 by homeagain

ramage wrote: I am of the impression that you treat going to a physician similar to a trip to a beautician. The physician is under no obligation to do what you desire.
I am still curious as to the part of the U.S. where you had difficulty in obtaining a tubal ligation.

THE FRONT RANGE (in the 70's) BURBS OF DENVER.

Patient Centered Home is apparently a foreign concept to u. A PARTNERSHIP in your health (no, the doctor is NOT GOD) The doctor is a professional, who can guide u,suggest options,provide information ,upon request from patient, who will be straight up when needed (NOT CONDESCENDING ) and SEE U AS A HUM,AN BEING.

atulgawande.com/book/being-mortal/

I suggest u REALLY READ all of his books....

In his bestselling books, Atul Gawande, a practicing surgeon, has fearlessly revealed the struggles of his profession. Now he examines its ultimate limitations and failures – in his own practices as well as others’ – as life draws to a close. And he discovers how we can do better. He follows a hospice nurse on her rounds, a geriatrician in his clinic, and reformers turning nursing homes upside down. He finds people who show us how to have the hard conversations and how to ensure we never sacrifice what people really care about.

12 May 2022 06:53 #44 by homeagain
atulgawande.com/book/the-checklist-manifesto/

Gawande begins by making a distinction between errors of ignorance (mistakes we make because we don’t know enough), and errors of ineptitude (mistakes we made because we don’t make proper use of what we know). Failure in the modern world, he writes, is really about the second of these errors, and he walks us through a series of examples from medicine showing how the routine tasks of surgeons have now become so incredibly complicated that mistakes of one kind or another are virtually inevitable: it’s just too easy for an otherwise competent doctor to miss a step, or forget to ask a key question or, in the stress and pressure of the moment, to fail to plan properly for every eventuality. Gawande then visits with pilots and the people who build skyscrapers and comes back with a solution. Experts need checklists–literally–written guides that walk them through the key steps in any complex procedure. In the last section of the book, Gawande shows how his research team has taken this idea, developed a safe surgery checklist, and applied it around the world, with staggering success.

The danger, in a review as short as this, is that it makes Gawande’s book seem narrow in focus or prosaic in its conclusions. It is neither. Gawande is a gorgeous writer and storyteller, and the aims of this book are ambitious. Gawande thinks that the modern world requires us to revisit what we mean by expertise: that experts need help, and that progress depends on experts having the humility to concede that they need help.
New York Times’ Freakonomics Blog review

If there is one topic that I have no natural affinity for, it is checklists. I don’t use checklists. I’m not interested in checklists.

Yet, against all odds, I read Atul Gawande’s new book about checklists, The Checklist Manifesto in one sitting yesterday, which is an amazing tribute to the book that Gawande has crafted. Not only is the book loaded with fascinating stories, but it honestly changed the way I think about the world. It is the best book I’ve read in ages.

The book’s main point is simple: no matter how expert you may be, well-designed check lists can improve outcomes (even for Gawande’s own surgical team). The best-known use of checklists is by airplane pilots. Among the many interesting stories in the book is how this dedication to checklists arose among pilots.

Even more interesting are the stories about Walmart’s response to Hurricane Katrina, and the real reason why David Lee Roth used to demand that there be a bowl of M&M’s with all the brown ones removed in his dressing room backstage.

The Checklist Manifesto is a New York Times, Wall Street Journal, USA Today, Entertainment Weekly, Washington Post, Los Angeles Times, Boston Globe, and San Francisco Chronicle Bestseller.

bolded....BRILLIANT of Roth.......KNOW why? Because he then KNOWS that the entire contract was
read and not just signed. Brown in bowl=band bails because of lack of attention to detail...IF they can't get M&M RIGHT,HOW well can they stage a show???

13 May 2022 17:22 #45 by ramage
Once again the comments section of the WSJ.com makes the paper worth the annual cost. referencing an article on abortion, a letter to the editor comment included the following and got this reply

"once you decide to let people vote on whether to legalize abortion, why not let each woman be sovereign? Let each woman decide for herself whether she supports abortion."

I agree, Ruth! As long as we include the women who haven't made the trip down the birth canal. And if we're feeling really generous, maybe we'll give the boys a vote on whether they want to live too.
Isabela Riedel

www.wsj.com/articles/peggy-noonan-roe-v-...e-choice-11652396985

Time to create page: 0.151 seconds